• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the new name of the ground is

sportsdirect.com @ St James' Park Stadium

?

Oh my God :shock:

Did I slip into a coma and wake up on April 1st????

What do Ashley and his mates do, sit around and try and think of ways to piss off the punters?

I fully expect to find out sometime in the future that Mike Ashley is a secret life time Sunderland fan.

PLus surely for the time being he's just using it as free advertising for himself? I assume putting the name of his own firm up there he isn't going to pay the club money (essentially giving money to himself) so how will it produce revenue.

Ok you could say it would reduce his advertising budget for SD so he can put more money in, but seems a bit stupid to me.

I could understand if, like next year, they'll get millions from it being called the Cadbury's Creme Egg@St James' Park (speculation of course;)) but it doesn't make much sense now!

The media will ignore it and continue to call it St James' there is no way they will call it that other than to report the story in the first place.

Indeed.

How many sponsored grounds are there? I think the only one that really holds is the Reebok stadium, and that benefits from Reebok's association with the town of Bolton and the fact that the place was built as the Reebok.

Every other ground? They just get called by their old names. Off the top of my head I know that Southampton, Wycombe and York City have sponsored grounds. I still think of their grounds as St Mary's, Adams Park and Bootham Crescent though.

Ashley won't be paying Newcastle to have his firms name on the ground this season its a bit of free advertising for him and in the warped minds of those running the club a way of attracting potential sponsors for next season.

They are though it would seem totally clueless to the fact this yet again makes them look like an inept bunch of fucktards and all they are going to do is gain more adverse publicity making it even less likely some company will put money up for naming rights next season.

What company in their right minds would put their name to that stadium knowing its going to go down like a shite sarnie with the locals, get ignored by the press and its going to be the second name change in a short space of time.

The people running Newcastle are idiots, total and utter idiots.

Just popped in to ... laugh at Newcastle :D:crylaugh: Trent I'm not sure the meeja will be allowed to ignore the ridiculous new name. They have to play the game :D

The media will ignore it and continue to call it St James' there is no way they will call it that other than to report the story in the first place.

Indeed.

How many sponsored grounds are there? I think the only one that really holds is the Reebok stadium, and that benefits from Reebok's association with the town of Bolton and the fact that the place was built as the Reebok.

Every other ground? They just get called by their old names. Off the top of my head I know that Southampton, Wycombe and York City have sponsored grounds. I still think of their grounds as St Mary's, Adams Park and Bootham Crescent though.

Its odd really there are a fair few around but as you point out most are new grounds and as such the new artificial name sticks. Out of interest I'm assuming The Riverside is no longer the BT Cellnet Riverside or whatever it was called when they opened it.

When clubs rename existing grounds it simply doesn't get picked up in the same way by the media. Case in point, without cheating folks what is the name of Walsall's ground?

his only calling it the sportsdirect@stjames for the rest of the season to show potential investors how it will work, its not a full time thing, according to the paper i read this morning

How many sponsored grounds are there? I think the only one that really holds is the Reebok stadium

The Emirates? The most lucrative stadium in the country if reports are to be believed.

The JJB was widely called that, not even sure if it had a non-commercial name. But it's called the DW now anyway.

The McAlpine was always known as that too, think it's the Galpharm now, or something like that anyway.

Â