2009 UEFA Champions League Final Thread

stretford420

Who will be the Champions of Europe?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the Champions of Europe?

• FC Barcelona
    • Manchester United FC

im close to saying utd were as poor as barca were good
My first thoughts were just that. Perhaps "Barca were too good for United" just wins it for me. For me Ferguson was guilty of too much faith in an ageing Giggs. But that's with hindsight. The goal in the 10th minute knocked the stuffing* out of United and after that most of them were struggling to find some form.

*as you also said

So, Ronaldo vs Messi and the best player on the park was Iniesta.

Totally with Nayson on this. Iniesta is absoloute quality!

The SF at The Bridge was bordering on a fix, I don't think even Liverpool have had a game go that ridiculously one-sided in terms of reffing decisions.

I don't think they should have been in the final, but they deserved the final win without question.

I do think they deserved to be in the final when looking at the way they play football. Although some of the decisions made against Chelsea were awful. Yet Barca should have had a penalty in the first leg. It swings in roundabouts although I do see what you are saying.

At least Barca haven't had a rich sugar daddy take over and turn them from a non-existant club into league challengers (like Chelski). Fair play to Barca on the night as I think they have been the best team in Europe all season. They could only play what was put infront of them and they could only accept the decisions made by the refs.

Barca should have had a peno i the first leg, I agree. But it doesn't really matter when you probably need to use 2 hands to count the amount of penalties Chelsea should have had!

I think that's a bit harsh on Chelsea. Barca have a tonne of money and always have, just because they've been a richer club longer than Chelsea doesn't mean they haven't bought their way into the Champions League, they have, same as most top clubs.

Watching Barca today, they seem unbeatable. On the ball it's clear to see how good they are, but it's off the ball that's amazing. Everytime United got the ball, they just chased it and gave no relent until they won it back, amazing stuff. What a year for Xavi and Iniesta.

Barca definitely spend a lot of money but some of their best player tonight (Xavi, Iniesta, Puyol, Messi) came through their youth system.

A sensational win against a team feared throughout Europe.

And what is to be made of Pepe Guardiola? Astonishing, amazing performances throughout the season. 37 year old, 1 year of B team experience and he can achieve this, simply amazing.

Manchester United didnt have a player like Essien in the middle of the park.

For all the talk of this being the greatest United team ever (which will probably end now) they are as weak in central midfield as I can remember. Father time has definitely caught up with Paul Scholes, but any number of the central midfielders from United teams of old would walk into the current one. Keane being the obvious example, but Ince would and so would Brian Robson.

A few people (myself included) said that United wouldnt outpass Barecelona, they would need to outmuscle them in the middle of the park. Giggs isnt the sort of player who can do that, he is one who pulls the strings if he gets time on the ball. I still havent figured out exactly what it is that Anderson does. Carrick is a fine passer but he isnt a ball winner. Maybe a fit Owen Hargreaves is what Manchester United were missing tonight, but the team definitely lacked something.

is Guardiola the youngest manager to have won this?...

"-- If Barcelona win, manager Pep Guardiola, aged 38 years and 129 days, will be the youngest manager for 49 years to lift the trophy and the third youngest of all time. Miguel Munoz was 38 years and 121 days old when he led Real Madrid to their 1960 triumph."

Taken from here

For all the talk of this being the greatest United team ever (which will probably end now) they are as weak in central midfield as I can remember. Father time has definitely caught up with Paul Scholes, but any number of the central midfielders from United teams of old would walk into the current one. Keane being the obvious example, but Ince would and so would Brian Robson.

A few people (myself included) said that United wouldnt outpass Barecelona, they would need to outmuscle them in the middle of the park. Giggs isnt the sort of player who can do that, he is one who pulls the strings if he gets time on the ball. I still havent figured out exactly what it is that Anderson does. Carrick is a fine passer but he isnt a ball winner. Maybe a fit Owen Hargreaves is what Manchester United were missing tonight, but the team definitely lacked something.

Gareth Barry? :winkold:

Since it got rebranded the Champions League, yes. But no. Jose Villalonga was 36 years and five months old when he won it with Real Madrid in 1956. He was 37 years and five months old when he won it again with Real Madrid in 1957.

Pep Guardiola is 38 years and four months old.

The United midfield is definitely missing that World class player to step it up. United fans love Anderson but as you said what the hell is he?

Giggs and Scholes are too old.

I'm not sure who the player they need is. Maybe Fletcher, definitely Hargreaves or someone new. Isaiah Osbourne? Salifou?

Gareth Barry? :winkold:

I must admit that I was debating posting that...

(must be something with being konnected to Kiddy)

Newton Heath will stuff the shit out of them and I'm glad. I'm sick to the back teeth of armchair fans at uni telling me how great Barca are and how they'd walk the PL. I **** watch them and the only reason they score so many is because no good defenders play in the SP! I predict 3-0, 2 from Rooney and one from Park.

:crylaugh:

Since it got rebranded the Champions League, yes. But no. Jose Villalonga was 36 years and five months old when he won it with Real Madrid in 1956. He was 37 years and five months old when he won it again with Real Madrid in 1957.

Pep Guardiola is 38 years and four months old.

In 1979 Englishman Bobby Houghton was only 31 years and 199 days old, but his Malmö team lost to Nottingham Forest in the Final.

Poor Bobby Houghton. Had a spell at Bristol City but never really triumphed in the Football League. But blimey has he travelled.

He has a friend who like him has spent his managerial career bombing about all over Europe including a couple of spells at Inter but who also never really triumphed in the Football League. Roy Hodgson.

Completely outclassed, and funny as f*ck to watch.

Xavi & Iniesta v Giggs and Carrick, haha!

I don't buy all this 'support the English team' rubbish, they're the same idiots who say they hate England and chant Argentina.

Thats how football should be played, pass and move. They played like Spain did when they won the Euros last year, and they're just far superior technically.

Man Utd played like a typical English team, try and get stuck into 'em and got it forward as quick as they could. Only they couldn't get near them and couldn't get the ball back after hitting it forward.

Â