2009 UEFA Champions League Final Thread

stretford420

Who will be the Champions of Europe?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the Champions of Europe?

• FC Barcelona
    • Manchester United FC

Ie lost count of the amoutn of players that have had that sort of expectation. I'm not saying he can't or won't ever be, but I think the chances are very very slim. From the 7 or so hours of football I've seen from him this season, he certainly isnt close to it atm. He's part of a great attacking team and benefits alot from that. Who wouldnt? His goal tally isnt that far beyond two of his team mates either (if you take into account games played also)

Ie lost count of the amoutn of players that have had that sort of expectation. I'm not saying he can't or won't ever be, but I think the chances are very very slim. From the 7 or so hours of football I've seen from him this season, he certainly isnt close to it atm. He's part of a great attacking team and benefits alot from that. Who wouldnt? His goal tally isnt that far beyond two of his team mates either (if you take into account games played also)

Well if Maradona is the greatest player ever,of the numerous players labelled the "next" Maradona, none have achieved what Messi has so far.

I suppose a World cup is the ultimate stage for him to step up to so we'll wait and see what happens.

Well if Maradona is the greatest player ever,of the numerous players labelled the "next" Maradona, none have achieved what Messi has so far.

I suppose a World cup is the ultimate stage for him to step up to so we'll wait and see what happens.

I think Maradona gets those kind of tags because he was a one man team at Napoli and even made a good Argentina side look like a 1 man team in the World Cup.

If Messi can inspire Argentina and be their star player in back to back world cups people will be compairing him to Maradona but not yet.

BTW its actually Maradona saying Messi can actually be the next Maradona, not just some journalist. The fact that people think Ronaldo is better is a joke, for all the shots Ronaldo had last night i dont think he hit the target once.

The free kick about 2 mins in that the keeper spilled?

The thing with Messi is he is such a team player, Ronaldo wanted to win that trophy by himself and be the 'Hero'. I'm glad Barcelona win, people give me all this patriotic talk about being English, but i couldn't bare Fergie harp on about back to back trophies would have done my bloody head in. Has anyone else noticed United don't play to the same standards last year? Is it a coincidence, that Carlos Queiroz had an influence on the way they play? Plus the substitutions made by Fergie, he fell into the trap, even after the game he went on about his defence, the problem he had was no-one in his midfield could actually tackle.

Perhaps the Champions League Final was just one step too far in a season where the team had played 67 games, more than any other English team in history. Next season, Brown will be fully fit again, Hargreaves will be like a new signing for us when he comes back, Berbatov should have settled, Cristiano will still be here ... this is only the start really. Hopefully next year we'll go out of the domestic cups early so we can focus on Europe and the League.

To me, that team last night looked like a side who were still celebrating their premiership win. They gave off the impression that this game was somewhat of a hinderance getting in the way of their summer. I still believe this team, when they're focused, are the best we have ever had here at Manchester United.

Perhaps the Champions League Final was just one step too far in a season where the team had played 67 games, more than any other English team in history.

Yes but historically teams did not have the kind of squads that we, and particularly you, now enjoy.

Are you saying that the kind of club who can afford to keep multiple £15-£30m players on the substitutes bench are the last side who should complain about having to play too many games?

Get your goggles off Stretford. How many games did Barca play this season? How many teams have a reserve team that could still thump half the teams in the Premier League? How many games were Ronaldo et all rested for?

Perhaps the Champions League Final was just one step too far in a season where the team had played 67 games, more than any other English team in history. Next season, Brown will be fully fit again, Hargreaves will be like a new signing for us when he comes back, Berbatov should have settled, Cristiano will still be here ... this is only the start really. Hopefully next year we'll go out of the domestic cups early so we can focus on Europe and the League.

To me, that team last night looked like a side who were still celebrating their premiership win. They gave off the impression that this game was somewhat of a hinderance getting in the way of their summer. I still believe this team, when they're focused, are the best we have ever had here at Manchester United.

stret your sounding like a bitter dipper mate :lol: ..

hate to say this but doesnt the spanish league also limit squad sizes to 25 players? and no other spanish team has ever done the treble so its not like they didnt have as many games as they could, so manu players havent played that many more games than barca, and you cant excuse the fact that few of them turned up last night on fatigue

ive heard tons of excuses today, no carlos querioz, no fletcher, the norwegian ref etc etc but at least most are saying they were outplayed

whats all this bollocks now on SSN? Gerry Francis "barca wouldnt be good enough to compete with manu, chelsea, arsenal or liverpool over 38 games, they would be looking to finish 3rd or 4th" WTF where did he get that from? they average 3 goals a game in all comps this season, have buying power to strengthen any area that would be deemed weak for the prem too

its one of the reason i wanted barca to win, to hope that our media would stop the love fest of the top 4, i was obviously wrong

hate to say this but doesnt the spanish league also limit squad sizes to 25 players? and no other spanish team has ever done the treble so its not like they didnt have as many games as they could, so manu players havent played that many more games than barca, and you cant excuse the fact that few of them turned up last night on fatigue

ive heard tons of excuses today, no carlos querioz, no fletcher, the norwegian ref etc etc but at least most are saying they were outplayed

Considering that Barca were without Marquez, Abidal, Dani Alves and Henry and Iniesta were doubtful says a lot really. Barca deserved to win it all season and considering its their managers first season, its quite scary to think what they could achieve. I wouldnt bet against them going onto dominate for the next few seasons.

whats all this bollocks now on SSN? Gerry Francis "barca wouldnt be good enough to compete with manu, chelsea, arsenal or liverpool over 38 games, they would be looking to finish 3rd or 4th" WTF where did he get that from? they average 3 goals a game in all comps this season, have buying power to strengthen any area that would be deemed weak for the prem too

its one of the reason i wanted barca to win, to hope that our media would stop the love fest of the top 4, i was obviously wrong

Gerry Francis is about as relevant as his haircut.

stret your sounding like a bitter dipper mate :lol: ..

:shock:

Aww, really? I'm actually not that bitter anymore, as more times goes on since last night, I'm just starting to look forward to next season.

Apparently Barcelona have played 61 games this season so the too many games excuse doesn't wash.

Brown being fully fit is an irrelevence as he won't be first choice anyway, Berbatov won't settle because he's a lazy petulant tosser and Ronaldo will be gone, just as I predicted at the start of this season - his price went down by a few million last night, too :lol:

Also if your team treats the Champions League final as a hindrance then you've got big, big problems. They didn't treat it like a hindrance at all they just got out-played by a far, far better side - and we all thoroughly enjoyed seeing it.

Â