The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

Most memorable gigs:

1. U2 at Slane Castle 2001 What a gig! Support from Coldplay who had about as much stage personality as Michael Owen, followed by a far superior act in the Red Hot Chilli Peppers before U2 came on and blew the place away. Bono over did it and his voice was **** ahead of the second concert the following day which was the one they filmed, that is legendary in it's own right as Ireland beat Holland just beforehand. I can't defend much of what U2 have done post 2000 but that was a hell of a gig.

2. Supergrass at Irving Plaza, New York 2003. This was random, I was walking past the venue when I noticed the sign saying Supergrass playing tonight. I walked up to the box office doubting any chance of getting a ticket but to my surprise not only were tickets available but they were a mere 12 quid. Went in and the place was empty, parked myself with elbows on the stage as it filled up and the show was utterly brilliant.

3. Chemical Brothers, Central Park 2003. Had a free press pass for this one as part of NY Ultra music fest. A scathing review I penned of the organization of the fest got me blacklisted from pretty much every electronic event in the city due to pissing off one of the town biggest promoters but nothing bad could be said of the Chemical Brothers who surpassed their billing in every way.

4. Rolling Stones/Roger Waters Wachovia Center, Philadelphia 2007. Can't pick between either gig, never thought I'd have the opportunity to see either live and while neither were in their heyday I'll never forget either gig. One thing that irritated me while the Stones were playing I noticed all the young black guys working in the venue were walking around listening to rap on their iPods, as if they were doing everything possible not to listen to the white people music.

5. Prince, Point Depot, Dublin 2002. I got these tickets as compensation for a cancelled Barry White/Earth Wind and Fire double bill, it almost made up for missing the double act. No screwing around Prince played a solid three hours followed by another mini gig at the after party, superb.

Honorable mentions:

1. George Michael, Madison Square Garden, NYC, 2008. Yes I was just about the only straight bloke at the gig, got tickets for me and the misses for the laugh and was massively impressed. A complete tosser but fantastic stage presence.

2. Manic Street Preachers, Olympia, Dublin 1996/1997 cant remember exactly when in was but the gig was pretty soon after the release of Everything Must Go. Delivered an excellent high energy show, when I saw them again a few years later they had become shite.

3. The Bee Gees RDS, Dublin 1998. Convinced my mate we were all going to dress up in 70's jumpsuits for the gig, did we? bollocks! Did he? Yes! dug out some outrageous gear from his dads wardrobe and looked like a complete tit. Great time.

4. Carl Cox, Pod, Dublin 1998. I had little time for Dance music before that night, Cox converted me into an electronic music freak over the course of five pumping hours.

I can't see Noel not playing some oasis stuff he's not an idiot and understands that a lot of people will be going just to hear that, he does tend to go for the more obscure tracks these days though doesn't he such as fade away and half the world away

If I went to see him I would be demanding sad song

Got tickets today to see Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds in March. Over £50 with 'booking fee' (shite), hope they have a few special guests and/or Noel plays some of the Oasis songs he wrote.

I went to see him at the Apollo on Wednesday. Great performance and about 50/50 new stuff and Oasis tracks. £50 well spent mate.

Got tickets today to see Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds in March. Over £50 with 'booking fee' (shite), hope they have a few special guests and/or Noel plays some of the Oasis songs he wrote.

I'm sure I read he played 8 Oasis tunes at his first gig.

Alabama 3 middle of November.

where is that mate? I wouldnt mind seeing them

I'm at the first night which is in the Coal Exchange, Cardiff on the 16th.

But it looks like a mini tour so they're around and about.

just got back from steve earle what a **** gig

3 hours solid and 34 tracks absolutely brilliant

the sound quality was really good probably the second best gig I have ever been to (after spirituallized at the sage in newcastle) the stories he tells are a mix between his political views and humerous things that have happened in his life

easily a 9.5 out of 10

the girl I took to see it was blown away even though she only knows one albums worth of songs

Can I get away with plugging the fact I'm playing The Flapper this Saturday in this thread? :winkold:

Hmm... the missus and I are actually staying up in Bimingham this weekend for a city break/watch the Norwich game. I may very well be interested. Where is this Flapper you speak of?

Saw James in Liverpool on Friday night

t'was James with a difference in that instead of it being a drink 10 pints and jumping about concert , it was a more sedate gig from them in that they played with a full orchestra and choir

Wasn't sure how it was going to work but as we had VIP tickets we were allowed into the sound check before hand and it took about 3 seconds to realise that we were due to see something a bit special later that night

We were front row so a bit too close to the speaker which made it a tad bassy for the first song whilst they sorted it out but once that was resolved it was almost flawless.

Tim Booth has one of the best voices in music (imo) and the new arrangements really suited his voice , possibly if you weren't already a fan it wouldn't convert you .but it was without doubt the best concert I've ever been to

the new arrangements just worked so well , the songs sounded better than ever , everyone on stage was having fun and you get to appreciate the wall of sound that an orchestra can make to complement rock /pop songs

and we still got to jump up and down a bit as well

Saw Capdown twice (including John Player Specials, JD Conspiracy (Duff Muffin) and Tyrannosarus Alan as support) and The Specials in the last week :D In such a Ska mood that I might buy a trilby and skank instead of walk everywhere

Â