Elbow or Doves - Which band do you prefer?

bickster

Which Band Do You Prefer?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Which Band Do You Prefer?

• Doves
    • Elbow
    • My name is Phillip Eric Styne and I have no taste.

Its an obvious comparison. From the same neck of the woods (ish), both in that similar skinny white boys who play guitars vein, both came through at around the same time and are at the same sort of place in their careers. I'd imagine its a tough choice for some as both bands will hold a special place for some and no doubt we'll have the "They're both crap brigade", well that is allowed too there is a polling option just for you

Doves do some of my favourite marching musak - just pumping away whilst you brush past the dawdling bastards on the high street going nowhere. Don't think either band I would sit down and listen to - though have seen both live and prefer the doves. Elbow are nice though so I ended up voting with PE Styne.

Hmmm, tricky one. I think Elbow are more consistently excellent, but Lost Souls is better than anything Elbow have recorded, so I'm going to pick Doves. Both are ace though.

On song (boom boom!) I think Elbow are the better band, they're the band I listen to more and I think their albums have more of a consistancy to Doves. I've always found with Doves albums that there will a few truly brilliant tracks that evoke an amazing atmosphere, and fit a mood perfectly... and there the rest of the album will slightly pass you by. With Elbow I find that I'll be able to listen to the whole thing and genuinely appreciate each track, probably with a song or 2 I truly can't stand in there somewhere but there will still be some crackers in there too, and again those few truly first rate tracks will perfectly convey a feeling, or an emotion, absolutely brilliantly.

I suppose a couple of good example of what I'm trying to say there are, with the Doves, Cedar Room. First heard that song on their set at Glastonbury a few years ago, and it seemed to capture the moment beautifully, and since then I've had times where that song was practically a soundtrack to a moment of my life. Elbow, equally. One Day Like This blarring out at Glasto I think again last year, brilliant, and when listening to a song like Switching Off I can feel the emotion there, the sentiment behind it.

But ultimately I think it has to be Elbow for me. When the Doves crack it, they make a 'Life moment anthem' better than Elbow, I think, but Elbow produce the more consistantly enjoyable music.

Neither on my radar very much, you won't be surprised to know.

But from what I've hard, Doves by a country mile. Elbow strike me as being very, very boring.

Hmmm, tricky one. I think Elbow are more consistently excellent, but Lost Souls is better than anything Elbow have recorded, so I'm going to pick Doves. Both are ace though.
. That's how I feel too. I like Chindie's post and agree with it in many ways, but in the end, the excellence of Lost Souls is more excellent than anything Elbow have done, as good as all of their stuff is.

Mind you, Elbow should get some kind of bonus point for their cover of "independent woman"

Aye Lost Souls probably is better than anything Elbow have done, I'd have to admit... For some reason it's an album I can only really properly listen to of a summer evening, it just seems to fit well to me. Adore tracks like Sea Song and Cedar Room, by far the Doves best album.

Still gotta say I prefer Elbow though.

Â