• Upper Class
    • Upper Middle Class
    • Middle Class
    • Lower Middle Class
    • Working Class
    • Working Poor
    • Poor
    • Homeless

I dunno really. Come from a reasonably crap part of Birmingham, parents were a carpenter/joiner working for the Council Housing Department in it's various itinerations, and a cleaner. Not fantastically well off. Currently a student. Guess I'm currently working class but working my way up the ladder, hopefully.

I say old bean, I think we've seen this somewhere before!, but quite a long time ago, so perhaps worth a revisit.

I didn't vote in the poll. My parents were unequivocally old-school working class - factory/shop workers, left school at 14 with no qualifications, lived in a council flat, never had a car, no bank account, never travelled aboad, never ate in a restaurant, etc., etc.

My kids are uneqivocally middle class - university educated, take foreign travel for granted, assume home ownership as the norm, travel by car as the norm, have all the trappings.

But me and the missus (whose background was similar to mine) are somewhere in between. We grew up as working class kids but had the benefit of a grammar school and university (full grant, no fees) education, which undoubtedly made us "upwardly mobile" - and will live in a nice house in a nice area. Most people would consider me to be middle class, but I don't feel "part of the club". Many of our neighbours seem quite alien to me - middle/senior management (or self-employed) big cars with vanity plates, play golf, watch rugby union, vote Tory, several with kids at private schools, and so on. That's not me.

So I want a new category (and I have several friends around the country who whould fall into it): ex-working class, intellectual (it's not an insult), left-wing, public sector (education) employee - and probably a complete dinosaur!

Oh, and I fluctuate between "mom" and "mum", "dinner" and "lunch", "lunch" and "tea", etc.!

did anyone watch that prescott documentary on class?

he was at some youth drop out centre, asked some young young girl what class she was -

"im middle class"

"middle class? not working class?"

"well nah, i aint got a job, aint it"

pure comedy gold

"The unnatural and increasingly rapid growth of the feeble- minded classes, coupled with a steady restriction among all the thrifty, energetic and superior stocks constitute a race danger which it is impossible to exaggerate. I feel that the sources from which the stream of madness is fed should be cut off and sealed up before another year has passed"

Winston Churchill 1910 -

even then class was defined by intelligence, not money.

We have a complete lack of a class system. It's what makes us friendly.

thats just the beer

but agreed been to dubli three or 4 times and it is not like london it does seem no matter what your ocial status is people mix, Lonodn is miles different in that

Â