The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I think Pratt is a really smart piece of casting for Guardians of the Galaxy. He was pretty good in his early career in a TV show called Everwood. Yes, I used to watch it and I think it should be forgiven being that a large part of the reason was due to Emily VanCamp (another good bit of casting for the new Captain America film too). He's good in Parks and Rec too, which is more of a comedic role. I really do think he'll work and fit in well with the whole thing. Speaking of comic films, apparently the trailer for The Wolverine is hitting on the 12th of this month. It seems like it's been a long bloody wait just to see a trailer. Especially considering the film is due to be released in July...

Now onto other films. I went to see Wreck-It-Ralph earlier and really enjoyed it. It just took me back to being a child and gaming at that younger age. It really is an entertaining film and is certainly for any age. The Paperman short before the film is also great and if you haven't seen it yet then don't bother watching it until you see it in the cinema. It's much better on a big screen and I wish I hadn't seen it before I went.

I've also been to see Lincoln, Zero Dark Thirty, Flight, Gangster Squad, Les Miserables and Django Unchained over the last couple of weeks. I'm not sure if I have given my opinion on any of them in here, as I haven't been on much lately. Anyway, I enjoyed them all to some extent, although out of this bunch I would say my favourites were Flight and Gangster Squad.

A movie that's never appealed to me, I heard a lot of bad stuff about it and it completely bombed at the box office... I actually liked John Carter. Moved a bit slow in parts but I did enjoy it overall. Lynn Collins is lovely.

• Like 1

Had heads or tails movie night with the girf last night. Her choice was Ted, my choice was Nil by Mouth. I won the toss.

:D

It was good. I know it's rather infamous for using word removed the most times in any movie, amongst other things, but I really didn't notice it that much.

I was expecting word removed this, word removed that, you're a word removed, I'm a word removed. Not quite. 46 times in 2 hours? I guess that's diluted enough not to be that noticeable. Or maybe it's just cos imma word removed.

Most bittersweet ending ever? Ugh. Left me very cold. Also reminded me that Mo from Eastenders is Gary Oldman's sister. Which is nice. And kind of odd.

Anyway, the girly said it was horrible. So we had to watch Ted too afterwards. Which was okay.

Bravo Zero Thirty was much better than I thought it would be. Instead of the "America - feck yeah!" film I had imagined it to be, it was a really interesting insight to the build-up to the actual event and it had me engrossed. 

Bravo Zero Thirty was much better than I thought it would be. Instead of the "America - feck yeah!" film I had imagined it to be, it was a really interesting insight to the build-up to the actual event and it had me engrossed.

Never got this assumption, nothing indicates it will be a film like that.

English bias against americans and american films i can only assume?

Watched Schindler's List last night. Definitely Spielberg's best.

I intended to stay up for it but fell asleep on the sofa :(

I think I might pop the DVD in tonight. 

Fiennes portrayal of Goeth is staggeringly good. It reeks of pure evil. 

Not at all. I have spent a long time in America, probably seen more of the country than most Americans and have many friends from across the pond. I admit my wording was poor but going by the film title and the few clips I've seen on the net (admittedly they were more of the "action" parts), I stupidly thought it might be something else. Instead, I was pleasantly surprised and think it's a bloody good film. 

Perhaps Hollywood's track record of doing that to films about wars?

Although Trekka, it's called Zero Dark Thirty ;)

• Like 1

Perhaps Hollywood's track record of doing that to films about wars?

Although Trekka, it's called Zero Dark Thirty ;)

Ha! Nicely spotted :D

Saturday was a new record for me. I watched 5 films. Yes I was hungover.

1. What Women Want

2. Thor

3. The Scouting Book for Boys

4. The Human Stain

5. The Company Men

It's probably the pick of that bunch. The Human Stain being second. The Company Men was watched from 02:30 so my standards were lower at that point (that explains watching Ben Affleck in a movie). Thor was seriously 'wtf' even if it did have Portman in it. What Women Want is not one I intended to watch but it was strangely enjoyable.

Â