The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

The Hobbit: an Unexpected Journey had it's premier the other night, it's heavily embargoed but a few fawning comments have come out.

A list of places in the UK showing in it's full, 3d, 48fps version has also popped up and er... well, if you want to see it in 48fps, there about 10 places in the entire country you can. And IIRC, 2 of them are in Derby. Closest to Brum is in Dudley.

I'm tempted to make the trek into the Black Country just to see what the fuss was about.

Yep, my regular cinema (Showcase Dudley) is one of the ones showing it in 48fps, which i'm quite chuffed about.

A list of places in the UK showing in it's full, 3d, 48fps version has also popped up and er... well, if you want to see it in 48fps, there about 10 places in the entire country you can. And IIRC, 2 of them are in Derby. Closest to Brum is in Dudley.

Eh 10?

Odeon-

• Bath
  • Belfast
  • Blackpool
  • Bournemouth
  • Brighton
  • Cardiff
  • Chelmsford
  • Dundee
  • Dunfermline
  • Glasgow Quay
  • Hatfield
  • Huddersfield
  • Kensington
  • Kettering
  • Kingston
  • Lincoln
  • Liverpool ONE
  • Marble Arch
  • Metrocentre
  • Norwich
  • Oxford Magdalen St.
  • Silverlink
  • Surrey Quays
  • Taunton
  • Trafford Centre
  • Tunbridge Wells
  • Uxbridge
  • Whiteleys - The Lounge
  • Wrexham Eagles Meadow
  • Manchester IMAX
  • Swiss Cottage IMAX
  • Trafford Centre IMAX

Showcase Cinemas

• Bluewater
  • Bristol
  • Derby Cinema de Lux
  • Derby Foresters Park
  • Dudley
  • Glasgow
  • Leeds
  • Leicester
  • Nottingham
  • Peterborough
  • Pontypridd
  • Teesside

Cineworld

• Dublin IMAX
  • Nottingham IMAX
  • Sheffield IMAX

Vue

• Acton
  • Birmingham
  • Bristol Cribbs Causeway
  • Exeter
  • Finchley O2 Centre
  • Fulhma Broadway
  • Harrow
  • Islington
  • Leeds Kirkstall Road
  • North Finchley
  • Oxford
  • Plymouth
  • Swansea
  • Westfield London
  • York

Heavily exaggerated, and at that point I'd not seen a full confirmed list, evidently. At that point it looks like only a few early confirmations were on the list I'd seen.

That is a better selection obviously, but considering the film(s) are meant to be an argument fur high frame rates, it's still a really limited release.

Heavily exaggerated, and at that point I'd not seen a full confirmed list, evidently. At that point it looks like only a few early confirmations were on the list I'd seen.

That is a better selection obviously, but considering the film(s) are meant to be an argument fur high frame rates, it's still a really limited release.

Odeon have a fairly decent list...

Hm, I'd say it is limited to some degree. 48fps, that is. Every cinema will have the Hobbit, most will have 3D, but only the Imax cinemas (usually hte Odeon) will have the preferred experience.

So yeah, it is limited if you want the 48fps experience.

Similarly, The Master was shot on 70mm but no cinema is showing it in that format from what I gather.

You could go to any cinema in the land and see it in release, but for the full shebang, high frame rate and all, its undeniably a limited release for what Jackson hopes is a watershed moment in cinema.

Admittedly I was wrong with that early list I had seen but still, its not exactly a great showing for 48 frames.

Watched Ted last night

glad i waited so long

McFarlane is a genius for Family Guy but really hit a bum note for this one

i laughed twice - the supermarket scene and the hooker scene

putting up the xmas tree today and as is the tradition in the Bouma household its done with xmas film marathon on the box

got National Lampoons, A Christmas Carol (Jim Carrey) and Home Alone 1&2 lined up

easily makes up for Ted

I saw Good Will Hunting for the first time Friday night. Top notch screen play, it felt a little "for the stage" at times but not necessarily in a bad way. Even more impressive when you consider it was written by a couple of lads in their early 20's. genuinely moving.

Also saw Touching the Void. Fascinating story, well told even if I didn't appreciate the way they crowbarred a few arty farty shots in towards the end.

I'm now hearing that The 'obbit is making people feel nauseous with its frame rate and 3D. Don't know whether to watch it on IMAX 3D with a sick bag or go for plain old 2D.

Â