The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

1 hour ago, sne said:

Watched the first Underworld movie for the first time in maybe 10 years. Great stuff. Also Kate Beckinsale in fangs 🧛‍♀️🖤

Loved those films and Kate Beckinsale is great in them.

Always annoyed me how they developed the characters in the later films though, especially the hybrid character (Michael?).

• Like 1

On 12/12/2023 at 11:38, stuart_75 said:

I've done 3 sittings and still haven't finished it yet. Nothing about the plot/story is gripping me to keep watching, and I'm a huge Scorsese fan.

I gave up on it after around an hour. There didn't seem to be any depth to it and zero reason why it needed to be twice the length of a normal film. 

1 hour ago, Bizzzle said:

Rebel Moon was pretty crap tbh. It started okay but then I lost interest about 45 mins in and just played games on my phone for the rest of it 5/10 don't know if I'll bother with part 2 

I think it's shows that Netflix is so desperate for content it will buy anything. It looks pretty is parts but the script is terrible 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sne said:

Change of plans today. Still pissed off about the game last night so I'm gonna disconnect from the world and just watch all 3 extended cut Lord of the Rings movies. 

I'm counting down the days until my sons old enough to watch these.

I've already read the Hobbit (graphic novel version) to him and he loved it.

Not quite ready for the violence/scares and definitely not ready for a 3 hour film. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

I'm counting down the days until my sons old enough to watch these.

I've already read the Hobbit (graphic novel version) to him and he loved it.

Not quite ready for the violence/scares and definitely not ready for a 3 hour film. 

The Raplh Bakshi animated LoTR movies might also be a bit too violent (and also only covers half the books) but have you watched the animated Bilbo movie? Think that one is rather cute and pretty wholesome.

• Like 1

On 23/12/2023 at 17:50, sne said:

As expected Rebel Moon was pretty meh. Didn't hate it but it wasn't anything special. Similar level as John Carter or Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets. Worse than Serenity but better than Jupiter Ascending. Or something.

A 5.5- 6/10 maybe with the usual slow-mo fights, shirtless hunks with oiled abs that you always get from Snyder and with a bombastic soundtrack that tries to make a basic story epic. Space Nazis are bad.

I quite liked it!

10 hours ago, sne said:

The Raplh Bakshi animated LoTR movies might also be a bit too violent (and also only covers half the books) but have you watched the animated Bilbo movie? Think that one is rather cute and pretty wholesome.

Have you got a link for the 1977 one? I've been struggling to find the full version available anywhere. 

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Saltburn? 

I've already seen Brideshead Revisited, thanks. 

Very much not Brideshead Revisited, though I can understand why it may look like that from the trailers. 

• Like 1

Leave the world behind.

Atrocious.

Absolutely atrocious.

2 hours 20 odd mins and it could have been wrapped up in 90. You know that feeling you get when you're an hour into a film and the dialogue is going absolutely nowhere, and you know it is but you stick with it and pray all the vague nonsense and misunderstandings and bad communication is going to lead somewhere....and then it absolutely doesn't.

I have a son under one year old, my time is precious and I love apocalypse films. I was so disappointed

• Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Very much not Brideshead Revisited, though I can understand why it may look like that from the trailers. 

I know. I was being slightly facetious. 

4 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Leave the world behind.

Atrocious.

Absolutely atrocious.

2 hours 20 odd mins and it could have been wrapped up in 90. You know that feeling you get when you're an hour into a film and the dialogue is going absolutely nowhere, and you know it is but you stick with it and pray all the vague nonsense and misunderstandings and bad communication is going to lead somewhere....and then it absolutely doesn't.

I have a son under one year old, my time is precious and I love apocalypse films. I was so disappointed

Yep. Waste of a good cast. 

4 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Have you got a link for the 1977 one? I've been struggling to find the full version available anywhere. 

I found it on the open sea years and years ago. It's really expensive to buy on Amazon but it's there. Think it's been available on PLEX from time to time but not sure how that works.

Maybe this is something? Might need a VPN thou.

https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/the-lord-of-the-rings-1-the-hobbit

Currently you are able to watch "The Hobbit" streaming on Max Amazon Channel, Max. It is also possible to buy "The Hobbit" on Apple TV, Amazon Video, Google Play Movies, YouTube, Microsoft Store, Vudu, DIRECTV as download or rent it on Apple TV, Amazon Video, Google Play Movies, YouTube, Vudu, Microsoft Store, DIRECTV online.

• Like 1

Caught up with a couple of films in the last few days -

Sisu - brilliantly bonkers

Gunpowder Milkshake - more Joan Wick than John Wick but it had its moments

Silent Night - John Woo but a load of… 

Rebel Moon - mixed feelings but erring on the side of rubbish! Should’ve been a lot better (if they’d fleshed out the characters a lot more!) 

fingers crossed we can watch Saltburn tonight. 

Edited by theboyangel

Â