The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Went to a limited screening of this tonight...

spacer.png

Very good satirical spoof of horror slasher movies, which takes many of the well worn clichés of that genre and turns them into a terrific comedy ensemble piece.

Very meta, and very funny.

ems.cHJkLWVtcy1hc3NldHMvbW92aWVzL2Q0MTEy

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, it's been a long time since I've been in this thread/watched a film but I've just finished Corner Office, starring the great Jon Hamm. 

A low budget black comedy that had kept me engrossed, charmed and saddened in equal measure. 

Not for everyone but it will be one of those films that really hits the spot for some. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Just watched a horror called "the blackening" its a all black cast and i gotta say the film started so well then just went utterly terrible

I enjoyed it (see two posts up). Clever stuff and I love a good deconstruction of well worn tropes.

19 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

I enjoyed it (see two posts up). Clever stuff and I love a good deconstruction of well worn tropes.

I thought the beginning bit was excellent i didnt think the ending was very good. It was rather predictable 

• Thanks 1

The 1997 documentary film Twin Town has just been released for the first time on blu ray.

I can’t help wondering how many units they are expecting to shift? I mean how many people are still collecting blu ray dvd’s?

36 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Still plenty of Blu rays being sold iirc. Obviously theres been a decline due to online services but I'd imagine it's similar to the CD/Vinyl lovers, as there will always be people who prefer the physical media over streaming

It's not just a case of preferring the physical medium. As I have posted about previously, streaming film has nothing like the catalogue availability of streaming music. I can think of any random album, and there's a 95% probability it will be on Spotify, Amazon or YT (probably all three). Films? Loads of classics (never mind obscurities) either never make it to streaming or get taken off on a regular basis. 

I don't buy very many DVDs/Blu-Rays these days, because I'm not that much of a film geek. But I still have 400 or so, and if I was serious about film, I'd still buy them. 

(That said, how many actually get watched more than once?) 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Still plenty of Blu rays being sold iirc. Obviously theres been a decline due to online services but I'd imagine it's similar to the CD/Vinyl lovers, as there will always be people who prefer the physical media over streaming. 

Personally, I own around 2,000 Blu rays and am in the process of updating around 1,000 of my DVDs (including Twin Town actually) to Blu ray. I buy around 5 or 6 a month and the list is always growing.

**edit**

There's nowt like receiving something like this in the post. You don't get that buzz just pressing play on Netflix...

spacer.png

That film still gives me nightmares

10 minutes ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

One for @Follyfoot. Last night I watched Avengement. 

Scott Adkins and Craig 'How have I never got an Oscar ' Fairbrass kahhhnting it up for an hour and a half.

I actually quite enjoyed it.

They should’ve just called the pub, the Queen Vic and be done with it

if you are in the mood for a little bit more of Adkins action, try out accident man 1&2. Both quality pictures.

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Thanks 1

Because I'm too lazy to get my lardy arse off the sofa after eating, I accidentally watched "Home at Seven" from 1952 yesterday.

It was a surprisingly modern feeling murder mystery centred around a man who can't remember the last 24 hours - thoroughly enjoyed it.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Because I'm too lazy to get my lardy arse off the sofa after eating, I accidentally watched "Home at Seven" from 1952 yesterday.

It was a surprisingly modern feeling murder mystery centred around a man who can't remember the last 24 hours - thoroughly enjoyed it.

Im agist sorey but any film before the 70s i can't watch.  Im a film snob

• Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Im agist sorey but any film before the 70s i can't watch.  Im a film snob

Each to their own, but that is quite the ridiculous rule you've applied to yourself there.

You are missing out on so many superb films.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Each to their own, but that is quite the ridiculous rule you've applied to yourself there.

You are missing out on so many superb films.

Yep you are probably right hence why im admitting im a film snob

Â