The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Thinking about the vexed question of remakes. As I have said repeatedly, I am pretty much against them.

But sometimes, especially in the case of adaptations of novels, it may be worth it. I'm just reading James Jones' 'From Here to Eternity', and have realised that the 1953 film, while it is pretty decent in its own right, and superficially has the same plotline, captures virtually none of the book's style and atmosphere.

The book has very little to do with the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, but is basically about 1940s attitudes to sex and the dehumanising effects of life in the peacetime army. It belongs more with novels like 'Peyton Place' in its (for the time) very explicit dealings with sexuality - makes quite grim reading at times, and paints the American male of the time in a very depressing light indeed. It's sad, more than anything, and it could make a very intense movie in the hands of the right director.

But I expect there's no market for it.

In France, you know what they call 'Hunger Games'?

'Battle Royale with cheese...'

Oh my. That's special. :clap:

Post of the year.

anyone know if the new avengers film is 3D?

wouldnt mind seeing it at the Imax but if its 3D I probably wont bother

Unfortunately it will be in 3D. I'm hoping they also show it at the IMAX in 2D, yet I doubt it. I guess I'll just have to see it on a smaller screen in 2D and then take it like a man in 3D at the IMAX. I love the screen and sound but I bloody hate 3D...

Post of the year.

I'm trying to work out why this is so funny.

OK, Hunger Games is based on a similar idea to Battle Royale. But it's a bit cheesy. The French like cheese. Is that funny? Am I missing something?

They're making

Great news as far as I'm concerned. I'm a big fan of the first one and it's one of my favourite comedy films. I'm just not quite sure how they can top it and hope this second one won't ruin the whole thing.

Probably my favorite comedy. Can't wait.

good weekend for films -

pirates in an adventure with scientists

wrath of the titans

headhunter

doesnt look like brum cineworld is showing headhunter because of the number of 3D films clogging up the screens ( :angry: ) but its getting really good reviews

Post of the year.

Is that Sarcasm? It's not that good!

Ah, in fairness it is that good :winkold:

Well, I still must be missing something.

Hunger Games = a film with a similar plot to Battle Royale, and which is deemed to be a bit cheesy

France = cheese-loving nation

Royale with cheese = apparently some reference to Pulp Fiction

There must be something else... ?

There is a scene in Pulp Fiction in which Travolta asks Jackson what he thinks they call a quarter pounder with cheese in France (they don't call it a quarter pounder on account of the metric system), and then tells him the correct answer.

"A Royale with cheese"

That's really all there is to the joke. The France bit and the cheese bit isn't releveant. It's just playing on the Royale

It's not funny if you have to explain it :D

Oh, and watch Pulp Fiction for goodness sake, it's absolutely brilliant.

Â