The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I never get criticising anything as derivative when they fully intend to imitate previous work.

I tend to find the difference between whether or not something is derivative or an homage depends on whether or not I like it. :)

I saw a friend's facebook status yesterday complaining about how shit "The Devil Inside" was, which she'd just gone to see. Said the ending was ridiculous and people were literally laughing at it.

So I read up on the ending. I won't post it here in case people actually want to see it, but it does sound like one of the worst endings ever.

I saw a friend's facebook status yesterday complaining about how shit "The Devil Inside" was, which she'd just gone to see. Said the ending was ridiculous and people were literally laughing at it.

So I read up on the ending. I won't post it here in case people actually want to see it, but it does sound like one of the worst endings ever.

Is it that the devil wasn't inside at all, he was outside all the time? Cuh!

I'm labelling it as a spoiler just in case

The ending isn't shit because of the story or anything. Apparently, there is some sort of car chase going on, it's all getting to a supposed climax, when the screen goes blank and simply says "For more information on the case, go to www.some bullshit website.com"

And that's it.

As I said earlier in this thread, it's easily one of the worst movies I've seen in the last five years. I thought it was going to be arse gravy of the highest order but I went sort as a favour to someone.

Thank gawd I had a free ticket for it, as paying to watch that would have made it doubly painful.

It's strange as I saw th etrailer for it when I went to see Project X a couple of weeks back and it looked terrifying. I was actually considering watching it (even though I assumed it wouldn't actually be much good)

But yeah, sounds awful My friend said around half the people in the cinema had genuinely left before the end

I'm labelling it as a spoiler just in case

The ending isn't shit because of the story or anything. Apparently, there is some sort of car chase going on, it's all getting to a supposed climax, when the screen goes blank and simply says "For more information on the case, go to www.some bullshit website.com"

And that's it.

:shock:

hahaha! Sounds worse than the SHOCK ending of The Village

I think the reason I loved the Village so much was because originally I missed the first 20 minutes and it's reveal. So to me the ending actually was a very cool twist. I can't believe the film-makers didn't realise how much better the film would've been without making it painfully obvious at the start. I've since re-watched it a few times and I now get why people don't like it. But I still do :)

Unbreakable has some great moments (I always liked the cinematography when Willis' character basically fulfills his destiny - the scene in the house, and before that in the station, is shot superbly), and a nice concept.

I really liked Signs, despite it's failings. It has one of the creepiest moments I can remember in a film - the Brazilian birthday party footage still gives me chills.

After that he complete jumped the shark.

I think the reason I loved the Village so much was because originally I missed the first 20 minutes and it's reveal. So to me the ending actually was a very cool twist. I can't believe the film-makers didn't realise how much better the film would've been without making it painfully obvious at the start. I've since re-watched it a few times and I now get why people don't like it. But I still do :)

I think I was in the same situation as you, what did they show at the start that revealed the twist?

m night shamalamadingdong peaked with Unbreakable. great film.

:nod:

His best work by far.

Sixth Sense was ruined for me as I got the twist reasonably early on at the restaurant scene. Still a decent movie though. Hated everything he's done since.

I liked Devil and I didn't realise it was his until I looked up his filmography just a minute ago. It's a simple film, a simple premise shot well with a likeable cast that keeps you guessing 'til the end. Almost an Indie feel to it. One of those I stumbled across while idly flicking through the movie channels one night.

'The Happening' on the other hand. The single reason to watch that is Zooey. As Stephen Fry once described the Da Vinci Code - 'The loosest of arse water'.

I liked Devil and I didn't realise it was his until I looked up his filmography just a minute ago. It's a simple film, a simple premise shot well with a likeable cast that keeps you guessing 'til the end. Almost an Indie feel to it. One of those I stumbled across while idly flicking through the movie channels one night.

'The Happening' on the other hand. The single reason to watch that is Zooey. As Stephen Fry once described the Da Vinci Code - 'The loosest of arse water'.

Yes, I enjoyed Devil too. Mind you, it was only 'based' on one of Shyamalan's stories wasn't it? So they probably edited out most of his usual gibberish ;)

Â