The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Going to check out A Fistful of Dollars tonight.

If you enjoy it (which I think you will) then check out Kurosawa's Yojimbo, which is the original Japanese version of the same story.

Also worth watching Takashi Miike's Sukiyaki Western Django, which was also heavily influenced by the same story.

Both well worth a watch.

If you enjoy it (which I think you will) then check out Kurosawa's Yojimbo.

Great stuff.

On another note, I went to see 'Warrior' and I thought it was very good. The repetitive nature of some of the fights did annoy me a little though.

I just thought that each fight for Brendan took the same pattern. He was losing badly and then came back. Also some of the scenes with the head teacher celebrating were a bit cringe-worthy.

That little spoiler was just me being a little fussy though. Overall I enjoyed it and thought it was a very good film.

Drive

Film of the year so far for me, Gosling was as brilliant as ever and his stock continues to rise. Best upcoming actor for me, his versatility and presence and the screen is superb. He barely spoke in the film but his mannerisms were down to a tee. As for the film itself, I agree it's very stylish and it's not for everybody, some of the scenes were brutal :X However it was just down my street, the colours, the soundtrack and the atmosphere fitted in perfectly together.

Agreed Drive was brilliant

I liked it, but in parts the dialogue annoyed me so much! The 'dramatic pauses' Gosling used added no tension/direction IMO. Nothing profound was said: 'would you like a glass of water?' {massive pause} 'OK'.

It seriously reminded me of a poorer version of True Romance.

Tinker, Tailer, Soldier, Spy on the otherhand was beautiful, top film!

Had quite a good film weekend. We watched Meet Joe Black, which I liked very much. I think both Pitt and Hopkins were very good. A little dubious ending, but still.

Then we saw While you were sleeping. A little so so, but decent. Sandra Bullock is always a pleasure to watch.

Finished it off with Buried yesterday. Can't believe how they could make a film about someone lying in a box for appr 90 minutes without it getting boring, but they did. Quite impressive. And what a nightmare.

Best upcoming actor for me

He made "The beleiver" in 2001 which should have put him on the road to stardom but didn't ..but even so I'm not sure I'd call him up and coming ?

The Believer, Lars and the Real Girl, Half Nelson. All great films, all fantastic performances by Gosling. Did wonder if he'd ever start to make more mainstream films so I'm looking forward to checking out Drive.

Is TTSS a bit of a marmite?

I have 4 friends who have seen it. 2 hate it and 2 thought it was amazing.

People on here seem to love it (Did someone mention it was the best film they'd ever seen?!)

Yet I really didn't like it.

Is TTSS a bit of a marmite?

I have 4 friends who have seen it. 2 hate it and 2 thought it was amazing.

People on here seem to love it (Did someone mention it was the best film they'd ever seen?!)

Yet I really didn't like it.

Not sure if it's borne out in the comments here but from the friends I've spoken to, I'm beginning to wonder if those who like it are people who haven't read the book or seen the Guinness version.

I found myself more engaged with the period detail than I ever did with the story and found that the characters were not fully defined.

Having seen the original BBC version myself, I found the film to not quite fill in all the gaps. It was a fine film, no doubt but definitely not worth the hype and I was definitely disappointed.

I do concede that it's not a bad film though. I just think I totally didn't get it, and it just wasn't for me.

As I said after I'ds een it, the most disappointed I think i've ever been with a film...apart form maybe The Golden Compass

I find it very strange to think that people are still going to see A Fistful of Dollars for the first time.

For a Few Dollars More does it for me.

Fistfull is awesome but the second is much better.

it's clint at his best and lee van isn't too bad either.

some great quotes in there too. like the predator of it's day.

love the part where the hunch back sees cleef again and asks him to try and strike the match on his back.

then lee van says "i usually smoke after i eat, why don't you come back in a few minutes"

:D

I find it very strange to think that people are still going to see A Fistful of Dollars for the first time.

Oh, I totally agree. "More" is my favourite of the Leone westerns by a mile.

Best upcoming actor for me

He made "The beleiver" in 2001 which should have put him on the road to stardom but didn't ..but even so I'm not sure I'd call him up and coming ?

The Believer, Lars and the Real Girl, Half Nelson. All great films, all fantastic performances by Gosling. Did wonder if he'd ever start to make more mainstream films so I'm looking forward to checking out Drive.

He was in 'Remember The Titans' before 'Believer'. I would also class 'Fracture' and 'The Notebook' as mainstream films. He made both of those watchable due to his acting abiloty.

People actually make fun of me sometimes because I'm such a fan of his. They say it's a man crush which is a load of rubbish. I just think he is a great actor.

Looking forward to 'The Ides of March' too, which looks quite promising. Oh, if you're a Gosling fan (even if you're not) then watch 'Blue Valentine'. Heart wrenching film and the two leads (Gosling and Williams) are immense.

Oh, I totally agree. "More" is my favourite of the Leone westerns by a mile.

"More" is my favourite too. I love the apple tree scene.

Â