The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Haven't seen any of the Toy Story films, but thanks to this thread I'm thinking of buying them on bluray. Hm, I wonder if they are shite mainstreaming films or if they are good quality, pretentious films. What do you think, CVB?

NO to a thread split. I did admittedly get a bit impatient during the Transformers stuff (I cannot for the life of me see why anybody over the age of ten would want to watch that sort of thing), but hey, different strokes.

Keep it mixed up.

In one post you have the merits of Tree of Life, in the next Couples Retreat.

I've been waiting ages to see it. Could you give me the low down on Couples Retreat?

Just watched The Flying Scotsman about Graeme Obree and his world records and battle with the wcf

Truly inspirational person and a shame he isn't as worldwide a name as someone like Chris Boardman

Agree with Brumerican and M.Grin.

I don't see that it matters if mainstream movies do get recommended in here. It's an all encompassing thread and to be honest that's why I like it so much, it interests me to see different peoples views on film. I watch a wide spectrum of movies and (for the most part) the ones I recommend in here are ones that I feel would be generally missed by the mainstream so I post them up in case people have missed out on them. Doesn't mean I don't watch anything mainstream myself.

I'll happily admit I watched Bridesmaids and thoroughly enjoyed it. Doesn't mean I'm not equally at home with a Kurosawa, Bergman or Kieślowski.

AGREED!!!

That being said, Silver Bullet is one of my all time favorite movies. ALL TIME. Probably the best werewolf movie I have ever seen *American Werewolf in London was a close second* And the humor factor is pretty good. If you are into anything involving that topic I would say give it a watch.

Or how about reccomend me a good film and reccomend me a shit film.

Are you implying the film I watched was shit? have you seen it?

You must have missed the conversation on here where we all determined that CVB doesn't have to see a film to decide it's shit.

NO to a thread split. I did admittedly get a bit impatient during the Transformers stuff (I cannot for the life of me see why anybody over the age of ten would want to watch that sort of thing), but hey, different strokes.

Keep it mixed up.

Absolutely. There's a place for both. Just because a film is mainstream doesn't make it shit.

Dark Knight is mainstream and it's an incredible film.

Also, there's room for crap cinema in people's lives.

I like amazing small unheard of films, those little gems, as much as anyone else. But I also have days where I want to sit down with a beer and throw on Stepbrothers and laugh for 90 minutes.

I'm sure that is classed as a "shit" film by film snobs, but there's room for those films sometimes, and if someone recommends a film like that to me in this thread, then so be it.

Agree with Brumerican and M.Grin.

I don't see that it matters if mainstream movies do get recommended in here. It's an all encompassing thread and to be honest that's why I like it so much, it interests me to see different peoples views on film. I watch a wide spectrum of movies and (for the most part) the ones I recommend in here are ones that I feel would be generally missed by the mainstream so I post them up in case people have missed out on them. Doesn't mean I don't watch anything mainstream myself.

I'll happily admit I watched Bridesmaids and thoroughly enjoyed it. Doesn't mean I'm not equally at home with a Kurosawa, Bergman or Kieślowski.

AGREED!!!

That being said, Silver Bullet is one of my all time favorite movies. ALL TIME. Probably the best werewolf movie I have ever seen *American Werewolf in London was a close second* And the humor factor is pretty good. If you are into anything involving that topic I would say give it a watch.

Also agree, and I agree on Silver bullet too. One of the best Stephen King films, I think, apart from the non horror films like Stand by me, Green mile and Shawshank redemption.

Not sure if I have ever recommended it in here before but Che (part one and two) are both worth a watch. Just watched them again last night and thought I would throw that out there. There are some great shots in the film and Benicio Del Toro is great in it. It is rather long but stick with it and it is well worth the time.

Onto another two parter. I have certainly mentioned this one before but Mesrine is fantastic (both parts). Well worth a watch. Vincent Cassel puts in a really good performance in it and if you like crime/gangster films then this is a must watch. Even if you don't then at least give it a try and you may be pleasantly surprised.

Has anyone watched the Decalogue by Krzysztof Kieślowski? It's called a TV series but it's pretty much ten different short films with no relation to one another. Watched a few of them over the past few days and loving it so far, especially Decalogue I. The young kid in that was phenomenal one of the best child performances I've seen. Highly recommended, and by the director of the highly rated Three Colors films which I have unfortunately not been able to watch yet.

As for Che, totally agree with you briggaman, beautiful looking film but I did feel it dragged a bit for some reason. Yet to watch the second part though. Mesrine is also on my watch list, massive fan of Cassel.

the highly rated Three Colors films which I have unfortunately not been able to watch yet.

Mesrine is also on my watch list, massive fan of Cassel.

Do yourself a favour mate and watch them. All superb.

Not sure if I have ever recommended it in here before but Che (part one and two) are both worth a watch. Just watched them again last night and thought I would throw that out there. There are some great shots in the film and Benicio Del Toro is great in it. It is rather long but stick with it and it is well worth the time.

2nd one was a bit slow IMO still interesting though matt Damons cameo was a bit of a shock!

I'm considering buying a couple of old Disney animated films on Blu-Ray, yet I'm not sure which ones are good transfers. I have some newer Disney and Pixar films such as Up, Toy Story (all three) and The Incredibles on Blu-Ray. Yet I'm looking to buy some good transfers of old Disney films. Any suggestions?

they do buy get one free offers 2/3 times a year, last one was about 2 months ago, they do up them to £20 each though

Has anyone watched the Decalogue by Krzysztof Kieślowski? It's called a TV series but it's pretty much ten different short films with no relation to one another. Watched a few of them over the past few days and loving it so far, especially Decalogue I. The young kid in that was phenomenal one of the best child performances I've seen. Highly recommended,

A Short Film About Killing is the expanded version of the 5th Decalogue. It's a brilliant film and extremely powerful.

Do yourself a favour mate and watch them. All superb.

Will do :D

Has anyone watched the Decalogue by Krzysztof Kieślowski? It's called a TV series but it's pretty much ten different short films with no relation to one another. Watched a few of them over the past few days and loving it so far, especially Decalogue I. The young kid in that was phenomenal one of the best child performances I've seen. Highly recommended,

A Short Film About Killing is the expanded version of the 5th Decalogue. It's a brilliant film and extremely powerful.

Cheers, didn't know that, it's going on my watchlist. Not seen the fifth yet, only watched the first three, and all have been enjoyable. Although the first is my favourite by a distance.

Â