The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Have a choice of films tonight:

1) Black Swan

2) The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest

3) Paul

4) The American

Which one should I go for??

I would say Black Swan but I am a big fan. Aronofsky should have won the Oscar hands down.

I liked The American too, although it is all style over substance. Shot really well but the story drags quite a bit. Some nice boobs in it which helps!

I think this one has already been mentioned earlier in the thread (can't be fooked to look) but it's well worth another recommend as it's superb.

mary-and-max-poster-0.jpg

Overview and reviews

It's an amazing film about a very important subject. The claymation is absolutely superb and I'm sure everybody can relate to the characters in some way or another.

Just watched this.

What an absolute gem. Cheers for the recommendation guys, absolutely loved it!

Just spent my Father's Day Amazon voucher on this.

41YkDMorxGL.jpg

This mammoth collection features thirteen of the revered French director's most memorable films along with an exclusive bonus disc.

Set Comprises:

Le Mepris: Based on the novel by Alberto Moravia, LE MEPRIS stars Brigitte Bardot and Fritz Lang. An ambitious young writer gets a job reworking a film script, but finds his as his career progressed his marriage begins to collapse.

Alphaville: A strangely beautiful futuristic tale, this is the story of Lemmy Caution, an American private eye sent to a planet ruled by Von Braun, a malevolent scientist who has outlawed human emotion.

Passion: A fascinating musing on the nature of life, love and art, through the eyes of disorientated Polish filmmaker Jerzy and his partner Laszlo. With no script to speak of, Jerzy hopes to live the narrative of his film as he makes it, to the displeasure of his more conventional financiers.

A Bout De Souffle: Sexy, Stylish and cool, this is the epitome of cinematic cool. A fast tale of a young man on the run in Paris at the end of the 1950's, this film saw Jean-Paul Belmondo exploding onto the scene in an iconic, career defining role, in a film which shook the cinematic world upon release.

Made In USA: A classic New Wave crime thriller inspired by the American Noir thrillers of earlier decades, this film star Anna Karina as the questing anti-hero in search for the killer of her lover.

Pierrot Le Fou: Tired of his bourgeois life, Fedinand Griffon [belmondo] leaves his wife to elope with his former babysitter Marianne [Anna Karina]. When a dead body is found in Marianne's apartment, the lovers go on the run in a desperate attempt to escape her past.

Une Femme Est Une Femme: A delightful romantic comedy starring Anna Karina as a beautiful nightclub stripper who want to have a baby. When her boyfriend jokingly suggests she ask his best friend rather than him to be the father, various misunderstandings trigger of a series of events that unravel into petty jealousies and arguments.

La Chinoise: A small group of students discuss the implications of the cultural revolution in China, and how it might be possible to effect, through the means of terrorism, a similar upheaval in the West.

Le Petit Soldat: During the war with Algeria, a deserter from the French army joins a right-wing terrorist cell operating in Geneva. Set a task to prove his credentials to his new organisation, his life is further complicated when he meets and falls for the enigmatic Veronica [Anna Karina].

Detective: Set amidst the confines of a decaying Parisian hotel, Detective is set in motion when a miserably married couple attempt to collect a debt from a mob-plagued boxing manager. Meanwhile, a detective is trying to solve an old murder case.

Notre Musique: Part poetry, part journalism, part philosophy, NOTRE MUSIQUE is a meditation on war as seen through the prisms of cinema, text and image.

Helas Pur Moi: At a Swiss lakeside resort, a book publisher investigates a mysterious tale of a god-like being who supposedly entered the body of a man to make love to his wife. A modern retelling of a famous Greek Myth, this is a characteristically profound and fascinating work from Godard.

Elogue De L'Amour: A writer considers a woman for a part in a project he is working on which deals with the four key moments of love, but is haunted by the feeling he has met her before.

I recently watched GITS 1 & 2, hadn't seen them in years. They're great.

The Girl Who Jumped Through Time is a gem of a movie.

I want to see Ninja Scroll again, that was one of my favourites when I was younger. Pity it wasn't on the list.

I recently watched the entire series of Evangelion, interesting stuff. Still don't know if I liked it or was just intrigued by the whole thing. I watched the one with the original wierd final 2 episodes that caused uproar in Japan. Never seen the movies a new endings.

Probably the best place to put this...

Anyone who's been looking forward to the Lord of the Rings Extended Editions dropping on blu-ray, which they do this month, might be in for a bit of a disappointment.

The original theatrical release of the trilogy on blu-ray last year was a bit of a disappointment since no-one really wants the Theatrical cuts any more, but more over because the transfer on the first film especially was pretty ropey. It was full of DNR and looked quite shifty in parts. Thankfully the new release fixes that... but brings it's own new issue. Someone has blatantly **** up on the remastering and has tinged the whole thing in a much greener tint. Many people wouldn't notice but if you are a big fan of the films or appreciate good visuals, you might be left wondering why, for example, Saruman looks like he has jaundice, or why the snow that on all other releases was a pearly shining white, is now curiously dull... Pretty much every review of the release is picking up this, which in pretty much every other respect is receiving glowing praise (even accepting for other issues like the 15 disc set actually only featuring 6 blu-rays...).

I do wonder if this might lead to a Gladiator-esque recall and replacement on the first film...?

I loved Fellowship, liked Two Towers, really didn't like Return of the King. Fell off a cliff after the **** Ghosts end the battle on the fields of Pelenor in 30 seconds Jacksons rewrite bullshit.

Just spent my Father's Day Amazon voucher on this.

41YkDMorxGL.jpg

Where is Vivre sa Vie?? I have the 2 box sets simply entitled 'Godard' and then the ones that are missing in those from the '60s collection' - Masculin Feminine and 2 or 3 things I know about her. Love his films, especially everything with Anna Karina, so the absence of it from an 'ultimate collection' is a bit shitty. Still, the price is good for that

Bunch of anime for sale on zavvi/the hut at the mo... Any recommendations?

Big list here http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/zavvi-manga-20th-anniversary-specials-dvd-blu-ray-from-3-85/960742

5cm per second and Millenium Actress, maybe Eva but I'll always prefer my original AVD (not remastered, not platinum ed.) set to all the rehashes that keep appearing. It's worse than FFVII for that. Oh and Urotsukidoji too, it's a masterpiece, up there with the greatest works of our time for me

Probably the best place to put this...

Anyone who's been looking forward to the Lord of the Rings Extended Editions dropping on blu-ray, which they do this month, might be in for a bit of a disappointment.

The original theatrical release of the trilogy on blu-ray last year was a bit of a disappointment since no-one really wants the Theatrical cuts any more, but more over because the transfer on the first film especially was pretty ropey. It was full of DNR and looked quite shifty in parts. Thankfully the new release fixes that... but brings it's own new issue. Someone has blatantly **** up on the remastering and has tinged the whole thing in a much greener tint. Many people wouldn't notice but if you are a big fan of the films or appreciate good visuals, you might be left wondering why, for example, Saruman looks like he has jaundice, or why the snow that on all other releases was a pearly shining white, is now curiously dull... Pretty much every review of the release is picking up this, which in pretty much every other respect is receiving glowing praise (even accepting for other issues like the 15 disc set actually only featuring 6 blu-rays...).

I do wonder if this might lead to a Gladiator-esque recall and replacement on the first film...?

Each film is split over two blu-rays as well I think. That's not great either...

Thanks to this thread I've watched 3 films this weekend.

Mary and max - see previous page. Loved it!!

Persepolis - not bad. Enjoyed it but didnt think it was that special.

Mean Creek - very good little film. Felt it lacked closure but enjoyed it a lot.

Â