The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Watched Broken City on Netflix, bit pants really.  Disappointed that a woman as good looking as Catherine Zeta Jones has filled her face with plastic. 5/10

Watched Supersonic this afternoon, just a great walk down memory lane.  I proper love the Gallaghers but I knew most of the stories. 8/10

15 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Wasn't a fan of The Beach, Steve Jobs, Sunshine or A Life Less Ordinary tbh.

He's made some belters though and I think this will be another one.

Same but I haven't seen Steve Jobs on principle.

What are the belters?

6 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Same but I haven't seen Steve Jobs on principle.

What are the belters?

Trainspotting, Shallow Grave and 28 Days Later are his best three.

Really enjoyed 127 Hours, Trance and Slumdog too.

**EDIT** Just remembered he did Millions too. I thought that was a lovely little movie.

Edited by Designer1
Added Millions.
  • Like 2

i really enjoyed sunshine, saw slumdog as a movie mystery special about 2 months before its proper release so missed all of the hype and thought it was brilliant, 28 days and weeks later are a big part in the zombie film resurgence, trance IMO wasnt as good as it should have been, 127 hours with what they had to work with was better than it should have been

all that aside though, good luck to him getting this to work, i just dont see it recapturing the magic, there are scenes in trainspotting which were grittier than anything id seen before which are pretty normal now, there were scenes like the toilet which were amazing but have been done several times now, it needs the characters and writing to pull it through, unfortunately from that trailer i think he's going with it worked last time so lets do more of the same

1 hour ago, Designer1 said:

Trainspotting, Shallow Grave and 28 Days Later are his best three.

Really enjoyed 127 Hours, Trance and Slumdog too.

**EDIT** Just remembered he did Millions too. I thought that was a lovely little movie.

I actually really like A Life Less Ordinary, and only a TV movie, but Vacuuming Completely Nude in Paradise is pretty good too.

Second trailer for Wonder Woman. Bearing in mind this is a movie that isn't out until June I'd stake decent money Warner Bros end up showing most of this movie before it's even out.

But... It looks alright. Not a fan of the character, Gal Gadot is a dreadful actress, and there's been a few whispers the movie is actually a mess, but what we've seen so far... Looks alright. Even if Captain America did the same thing already.

Good cast, good setting, agree about her acting but twice on Sunday...the problem is the start of the trailer instantly made me think about what are they shoe horning in and same as BvS that music at the end is **** horrific, think BvS was the first film I'd ever criticised for use of music as zimmer of all people lazily put a huge guitar riff as if to suggest you actually need to pay attention to this bit, it didn't work then it doesn't work now (the use of music was piss poor in suicide squad too) 

i simply don't trust them to make a good film, there's every danger based on reviews I might not even bother going to the cinema for this one

Surely Transpotting 2 hasn't a hope of getting near the original.  I can see people (some in here ;)) already building it up to impossible levels.

7 hours ago, BOF said:

Surely Transpotting 2 hasn't a hope of getting near the original.  I can see people (some in here ;)) already building it up to impossible levels.

Nah. Personally I'm just looking forward to spending some more time in that world. The source material for Trainspotting was so good it can't possibly live with it, it just has to nail the ambiance. 

• Like 1

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Nah. Personally I'm just looking forward to spending some more time in that world. The source material for Trainspotting was so good it can't possibly live with it, it just has to nail the ambiance...

...  and a belting soundtrack.

• Like 1

Watched a few today

grimsby - at times it works and is genuinely funny, overall didn't think much of it though, he pushed nobby too far 5/10

flight - watched it for the first time since its cinema release, very good film, the supporting cast other than the ginger woman are pretty poor but it's all about denzel and who doesn't love denzel - 8/10

munich - I've seen this a couple of times already, dunno if I was in a different mood today or what because previously I thought it was a good film but today I watched it a bit more cynically, I think I've seen a few documentaries like five broken cameras (great film btw) and my overall opinion is changing and I saw it more as senior speilbergo telling the story as he wanted it told, the Arabs / Palestinians are badly written, I don't think the writing for bana's character is good enough and I'd never noticed it before but I hated the sex scene, it's too long and also not Daniel Craig's finest film - 6/10

Nocturnal Animals has an amazing cast and it's all very stylish but it didn't work for me. The book within the film was the best part but it made it hard to care.

Best opening sequence ever. :wub:

• Like 1

Â