The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

So the BvS ultimate edition may actually be decent...

I'm willing to give it a shot, at least until the final showdown, at which point I will instead hold a bright torch in front of my eyes and flicker it on and off so I can at least experience the effect without having to contend with piss poor writing as well.

31 minutes ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

So the BvS ultimate edition may actually be decent...

I'm willing to give it a shot, at least until the final showdown, at which point I will instead hold a bright torch in front of my eyes and flicker it on and off so I can at least experience the effect without having to contend with piss poor writing as well.

I'm waiting for the physical release, but pretty much every comment I've heard says the ultimate cut doesn't fix much, if anything, and if you didn't like the film to begin with this isn't going to change your mind. It provides a little more flesh to Superman (not hard given he has about 40 lines in the theatrical cut...) and pastes over a couple of the more minor plot holes such as

Spoiler

Explaining why anyone thought a man who could literally tear a human to pieces without breaking a sweat would choose to kill a load of people with guns. Using bullets expressly produced and used by Lexcorp.

Unfortunately I don't think it solves why Lex would instruct his men to commit a massacre with bullets only his guys use, and thus make tracing the responsible party ludicrously easy.

And also stuff like making it clear that the guy who gets shot in the first 5 minutes is perennial Superman sidekick Jimmy Olsen.

It doesn't fix many other problems either apparently. Like an awful interpretation of Superman that wasn't brilliant in Man of Steel getting even worse, hope embodied in this movie is a sour faced miserable bastard who seems to hate helping people and, like his co-star, seems to like murder. The first thing he does in the film is kill someone. In the titular fight he tried a full force swing to Batman's head, which would have been like Bruce taking a train to the temple. Or why he doesn't use his powers at opportune times. Etc etc. 

I didn't mind the movie, but didn't really like it either, and am intrigued to see what the extra footage adds, but it's not going to address my concerns with the original movie and therefore isn't going to be much better than the mess we got in March.

10 hours ago, Meath_Villan said:

The revenant ....while it was a decent flick with some good performances ......it was a bit meh .......6/10

An exercise in climbing up one's own arse.  Oscar by numbers.

• Like 2

will the extra stuff in BvS explain how one character is beating another character to death but stops when he realises they have something trivial in common? or will it just show that they have something trivial in common another 7 times in really shit ways?

there is no amount of extra content that can save that film

Edited by villa4europe

Yeah, there are fundamental problems with BvS and I don't think it'll ever be better than average, but I'm willing to give it a shot if there is a bit more context and character development as both those things were missing in the original cut. Really, if it makes the central conflict more interesting and believable, then it has done its job. However, it is still a conflict that resolves via the most ridiculous bit of writing I've witnessed in a very long time and nothing can be done to fix that, just as nothing can be done to fix the unforgivable mid-film trailer (save taking it out entirely) and the rewriting of the central characters into cold blooded killers.

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

will the extra stuff in BvS explain how one character is beating another character to death but stops when he realises they have something trivial in common? or will it just show that they have something trivial in common another 7 times in really shit ways?

there is no amount of extra content that can save that film

Nope. Apparently it doesn't address any of that.

I guess it can't. It's some of the most ludicrous writing imaginable.

Most of the additional footage is fleshing out the opening acts so you don't require quite so many leaps of logic it seems. Which is something I guess, I never seen a movie that had so many moments of fridge logic. That feeling while you're watching that something doesn't quite make sense but you kinda forget it to later as you're dragged through the rest of the film, and then as you leave realise that none of it made any sense. 'Hang on, why did the entire Wayne Enterprises staff in Metropolis need Bruce Wayne to tell them to leave?'. 'Why did that work for Lex straightaway? And how did he know it'd do that?'. Etc etc.

Watched this again last night:

carol-movie-poster.jpg

Could easily have been schmaltzy and over sentimental. Instead it's a masterclass of subtle acting from Cate Blanchett and Rooney Mara (Sarah Paulson is good too, but has very little screen time) and well written, believable characters.

Excellent.

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

why spend 2 hours setting up a fight and then cut to 5 minutes of the shittest way imaginable of introducing characters to the film you're going to tack on the end of this one...

Because the movie is a fudge. DC wanted the Avengers cash but didn't want to wait 4 years to get it, so they use this movie to introduce their most bankable character, establish him with their other big character, and then do as fast a job of introducing the other characters as they can before concluding this one. It exists entirely to set up a movie universe. They're basically doing the Marvel thing backwards. Somehow they managed to make the introduction of the other Justice League members even worse than any one expected though.

They'd have been better off doing a more faithful adaptation of Dark Knight Returns (skip the gangs stuff, do something more grounded, change the ending), binning everything to do with Lex, throwing out Wonder Woman (which they nearly do anyway), and tacking on the end of the movie a stinger featuring a more cinematic intro to the world being introduced to 'metahumans'. You could go really on the nose with it, someone saved from being run over by a streak of lightning, a woman in WW1 fighting with a sword (as they'd already started the Wonder Woman movie and that's the conceit), something dumb with a shark or whale for Aquaman and whatever cheesy thing you could think of for Cyborg (who literally nobody gives a shit about).

That way you still get your gritty take on Batman v Superman, you can swerve the twist that everyone pissed themselves at, you lose a dreadful take on Luthor and shitload of hopeless baggage, you establish a changed world that has Batman and Superman AND all these other characters and it doesn't feel like someone threw a half finished trailer for 4 movies in the middle of the one you're watching for no reason. You've already got the basis of a conflict between Bruce and Clark, with the Man of Steel stuff, and you've got the beginnings of setting up this Batman as a particularly ruthless one to make him a threat Superman needs to get involved with. You don't need Lex. You can skip Wonder Woman. You can skip the big finale because the big finale is Bruce v Clark. Have it take place in some other disaster and have Clark show Bruce he's a good man - saves a falling building full of children caused by the fight or something.

Even making the movie a fudge like they did, it's remarkable it's not better than they served up. It's not hard to do.

18 hours ago, Meath_Villan said:

The revenant ....while it was a decent flick with some good performances ......it was a bit meh .......6/10

In my opinion its one of his poorest films. scenery and and bear scene great but story predictable that has been done a thousand times and very bleak throughout.

• Like 1

The Company Men  (2010)

A decent film i thought and i enjoyed watching it. I am not a big fan of Ben Affleck to be honest,but i thought he was pretty good in this as was Tommy Lee Jones .Would give it 7/10 

So i'm currently watching BvS Ultimate Edition. I've not seen the original cut, expecting it to be gash but it's okay so far.

One question though, why does every superhero wear a mask to hide their identity, but Superman doesn't? And why can't anyone see that Clark Kent is Superman???

It's pretty stupid, his glasses don't make him look like someone else. 

Edited by PieFacE

58 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

So i'm currently watching BvS Ultimate Edition. I've not seen the original cut, expecting it to be gash but it's okay so far.

One question though, why does every superhero wear a mask to hide their identity, but Superman doesn't? And why can't anyone see that Clark Kent is Superman???

It's the glasses and hair that does the job, silly

59 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Superman's hidden identity is Clark Kent :)

But basically he changes his entire persona as Clark, everything about himself from the way he walks and talks to the fit of his clothes, and nobody accepts that a being with the power of a God is just a normal guy. Let alone a geeky bland journalist.

Basically, because comics.

• Like 1

That's fair enough. I guess I shouldn't expect total realism for a film based around superheros!!

Well I just finished the film and meh, it loses its way big time. It's not that bad of a film, until Doomsday and Wonder Woman come into it and then it feels like a complete mess.  I've stated multiple times that i'm not really a fan of the superhero genre, but I did quite like BA as Batman. Thought it was a pretty decent Batman. I also prefer the darker tone DC seem to use compared to Marvel, but Marvel are obviously better at character development and patience 'cos BvS felt so rushed. They could have probably made 3 films out of that one if they paced it properly.

Not sure of the differences between the Ultimate Edition and the standard, but if there's considerable less content in the standard edition then that film must really suck. 

Â