The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/jun/17/eli-roth-horror-movie-meg-shark-prehistoric

Jurassic shark: Eli Roth to raise 60ft prehistoric fish called Meg for new horror movie

THIS is what the world needs. A proper big budget Megalodon film! 

I've read the first book, it's nothing special - it's a 'read in a day' throwaway novel, BUT there is enough there for someone to get a decent script out of it and if they have the budget, it could be ace. 

The Megalodon in the book makes JAWS look like a goldfish with sharp teeth. 

Edited by wazzap24
  • Like 1

I've read the first book, it's nothing special - it's a 'read in a day' throwaway novel, BUT there is enough there for someone to get a decent script out of it and if they have the budget, it could be ace. 

3835-animated_gif-dean_winchester-sam_wi

Should be a larf.

3835-animated_gif-dean_winchester-sam_wi

Should be a larf.

I wanna see this. 

killer_wave_by_chris_bennier-d5r0p9h.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah I remember reading that book a few years ago. It's daft fun and I can see it working well on film if handled correctly.

Unfortunately it's Eli Roth which will mean it'll probably be a load of utter cobblers like his other work.

Yeah it would be a shame if he ruins it. 

Im surprised there hasn't been a proper blockbuster based on the Megalodon before. I mean when you look at the success of Jaws back in the day, it seems like a no brainer of a cash cow. 

Its got the whole lot. It was a real creature, some people (mainly crazy admittedly) argue they could still be out there and it's scary as actual fook. 

Yeah I remember reading that book a few years ago. It's daft fun and I can see it working well on film if handled correctly.

Unfortunately it's Eli Roth which will mean it'll probably be a load of utter cobblers like his other work.

Was going to say the same.

It'll be shite, which people will go and see just for the totally unnecessary gore only present to hide his inability to build up any proper horror or tension.

• Like 1

It'll be shite, which people will go and see just for the totally unnecessary gore only present to hide his inability to build up any proper horror or tension.

He's heralded in some quarters as some sort of horror auteur and the next Argento/Fulci but I think he's a hack who couldn't create tension if it came up behind him in a blood spattered mask and shouted boo.

I'm not a fan tbh.

• Like 1

doesnt he get most of the hype because he is Tarantino's mate. He is a hopeless actor as well in Inglorious Basterds when they should have got a better actor to play his character

You're probably right Stevo, but it's about a 60ft Shark. A 60ft Shark. 

If the budget is there to make the shark realistic and it eats people, attacks boats and leaps out of the water to grab helicopters then I'm in. I'd even go and see it if Useless was directing it! 

• Like 1

doesnt he get most of the hype because he is Tarantino's mate. He is a hopeless actor as well in Inglorious Basterds when they should have got a better actor to play his character

he wasn't as bad in that as brad pitt

Slow west ...turned it off 30 mins in ....unfair to score based on that but...bad enough for me to turn it off and watch the repeat of Monday night raw

Watched it this evening. Thought it was ok but attempted to be profound at times without success.

I like Apoc Now a lot, but I prefer The Deer Hunter, which might just be MY favourite film of all time.

Another very long film, but yes one of the best  of all time. A  great cast. Walken was brilliant. The Russian Roulette scene will forever stay in my memory. Also John Cazale who was dying from cancer, when it was filmed. 

Died tragically young, but John Cazale is the ultimate answer to the question of naming an actor who had never been in a bad movie, right?  

Because of his illness he did have a short career on the big screen, only appearing in five movies but here they are:  The Godfather, The Conversation, The Godfather part II, Dog Day Afternoon & The Deer Hunter.   All five were nominated for best picture at The Oscars. Three won.  

• Like 3

Went for something a little different - / old school the other night, the 1922 silent version of Nosferatu. Was a random pick, but not too bad really, though I'd like to see some of the later versions. The organ music really grinds on the ears by the end, it's only 80 minutes long but it feels longer. Still, the campness of Max Schreck's "Count Orlock" and the absurd level of make up was amusing. To it's credit thye capture the ghoulish essence of Dracula / Orlock's presence pretty well with some effects that I imagine must have been very impressive for it's time.

Story of it's survival is quite interesting though, being sued by the Stoker estate for it's blatant rip off, and then having the film being destroyed in England, but not this print in Germany.

Only realised as well that whilst I've read the book I don't think I've seen any of the other iterations of the fable, save a recollection I may have seen van Helsing. Can't remember.

Â