The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Blue%20Valentine%20promo%20movie%20poster%20AFM%202009%20collider.com.jpg

I went to see this and thought it was very good. Ryan Gosling still remains one of my favourite actors. Once again he is superb and steals the show in this film, although Michelle Williams is also good in it. It's miserable but very good.

Watched 'Spirited Away' last night, admittedly was a little baked, but enjoyed it immensely.

Apologies if it's been mentioned, but its a Japanese anime film, indeed, the highest ever grossing film in Japan. I watched an English version, link here: - http://stagevu.com/video/kmcjhyipyksk

Themes of industrialisation, social elites, etc make this far more than a pleasant kiddy film. In fact there were some parts that were terrifying.

Recommend it for everyone.

you should watch all of theb ghibli films, spirited away was huge everywhere im sure it won best animated film at the oscars and disney snapped up the distribution rights, their next film had the likes of billy bob thornton in it

princess mononoke is probably the best IMO

Watched 'Spirited Away' last night, admittedly was a little baked, but enjoyed it immensely.

Apologies if it's been mentioned, but its a Japanese anime film, indeed, the highest ever grossing film in Japan. I watched an English version, link here: - http://stagevu.com/video/kmcjhyipyksk

Themes of industrialisation, social elites, etc make this far more than a pleasant kiddy film. In fact there were some parts that were terrifying.

you should watch all of theb ghibli films, spirited away was huge everywhere im sure it won best animated film at the oscars and disney snapped up the distribution rights, their next film had the likes of billy bob thornton in it

got it loaded up and ready to go. thanks for the advice. il let you know what i think :thumb:

ZZ3BEE0C81-550x756.jpg

First shot of Andrew Garfield in the suit for the Spiderman reboot, due for release in 2012 and almost certainly I reckon, going to be in some way inspired by the Ultimate comic line... which I don't think is going to be a great thing.

Tonight's viewing:

5143hAYjK%2BL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Legendary stuff.

Totally! :notworthy:

Blue%20Valentine%20promo%20movie%20poster%20AFM%202009%20collider.com.jpg

I went to see this and thought it was very good. Ryan Gosling still remains one of my favourite actors. Once again he is superb and steals the show in this film, although Michelle Williams is also good in it. It's miserable but very good.

Need to see this. Big fan too, coincidentally I watched him in Lars and the Real Girl just, hilarious film!

looking forward to seeing blue valentine myself. have to agree with you about Ryan Gosling too, Half Nelson and Lars & the Real Girl are two of my favourite films and he's excellent in both.

Yes, another Gosling fan here. If anyone hasn't seen him in The Believer then that's well worth a watch too.

Mononoke is certainly the weirdest.

My personal favourite is Laputa. One of the few films I can watch more than once.

Watched it last night, enjoyed it. I did think there were a few 'cringe' moments where it was let down by poor voice-acting/script translation, (I watched an English dub) which is a shame because otherwise it was enthralling. The story was intriguingly bizarre, and some of the main characters were sick, especially this fella:

GreatForestSpirit.jpg

Some great 'action' sequences as well. I do kinda wish I'd watched a subtitled version instead though.

ZZ3BEE0C81-550x756.jpg

First shot of Andrew Garfield in the suit for the Spiderman reboot, due for release in 2012 and almost certainly I reckon, going to be in some way inspired by the Ultimate comic line... which I don't think is going to be a great thing.

Can't be worse than Spiderman 3. That was **** dog shit.

That was the point that I got uo and tried to leave the cinema. My friends stopped me, but I genuinely wanted to leave.

Hands down, the worst film I've ever seen at the cinema, and I saw "8 legged Freaks" at the cinema!

I've watched Spiderman 3 a few times. It is shite to be fair, you could tell that from the moment they retconned the film story line to stick the **** Sandman in there. They then tacked on Venom as effectively an extended cameo that also played the character terribly.

If they'd done the black suit and Venom correctly, and pretty much ditched the Sandman for someone better (they'd had 2 films to realise that Doc Conners is a fairly prominent supporting cast character and, shock horror... he becomes a villain!) they might have mad e a decent film out of it. I do think a lot of that film was undermined by the fact Raimi didn't really want to make it and didn't like what he was being given to work with so ended up not giving a shit (he hates the Venom character but fan pressure meant the studio wanted the character introduced for example). If that hadn't had been the case it might have been a decent end to a decent trilogy.

I'm a bit torn on the Garfield as Spiderman subject. On one hand he's one of my favourite current actors and I've enjoyed him in everything i've seen him in (Boy A and Red Riding the stand outs) but then on the other hand I hope the Spiderman role doesn't lead him too far down the commercial path.

Â