The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

mv5bmtuzmju2mta0mv5bml5.jpg

I still love this film. I can't watch it anymore, I get too intense, too worried that this will be the last time, I worry I will damage it, sometimes I hope someone else will see it and the film will feel okay again.

What is it?

True Grit is stunning.

I thought it was good, no more. Certainly nowhere near the Coen's best work, and certainly not a patch on the original version, even though I do appreciate it was beautifully shot, well acted (apart from Matt Damon who I thought looked completely out of place) and closer to the books original vision.

7 out of 10 for me.

This pretty much sums it up for me too, although I would be more generous and give it 8/10. I'm a sucker for visuals and good acting. With both combined it made for a good film in my opinion. I agree on the Damon issue though and feel like he just wasn't right for the role.

I was reminded of a docu/film i saw about 18 months ago about those 2 explorers climbing a mountain and one of them ends up leaving the other for dead and he somehow makes it back down despite having broken legs, i thought that was very similar to this but i enjoyed that story a lot more than danny boyles film.

The film you remember is Touching the Void....

an unbelievable survival story and brilliant documentary, get it watched everyone!

Im very ashamed to say i only got round to watching The Secret in their Eyes yesterday...

oooooh its good.......very very good

I was reminded of a docu/film i saw about 18 months ago about those 2 explorers climbing a mountain and one of them ends up leaving the other for dead and he somehow makes it back down despite having broken legs, i thought that was very similar to this but i enjoyed that story a lot more than danny boyles film.

The film you remember is Touching the Void....

an unbelievable survival story and brilliant documentary, get it watched everyone!

Excellent Mate.

Thanks for that, and now everyone has 2 reasons to watch this brilliant film.

watched nowhere boy, perfromances are good but thats about it, having read cynthia lennons book they seem to have messed about a bit with forming the band changing the dates, missed her out altogether which is wrong and then also got the main scene (the one on his 17th birthday explaining why he lived with mimi) wrong just seems all over the shop

mv5bmtuzmju2mta0mv5bml5.jpg

I still love this film. I can't watch it anymore, I get too intense, too worried that this will be the last time, I worry I will damage it, sometimes I hope someone else will see it and the film will feel okay again.

What is it?

Paris, Texas.

The comment is sort of the film.

Watched 'Spirited Away' last night, admittedly was a little baked, but enjoyed it immensely.

Apologies if it's been mentioned, but its a Japanese anime film, indeed, the highest ever grossing film in Japan. I watched an English version, link here: - http://stagevu.com/video/kmcjhyipyksk

Themes of industrialisation, social elites, etc make this far more than a pleasant kiddy film. In fact there were some parts that were terrifying.

Recommend it for everyone.

Thought the Kings Speech was excellent really enjoyed it.

Some great films so far this year, late last...

Yep, agree with that. Pretty much a flawless movie, acting all top notch with Firth rightly taking most of the plaudits but I thought Geoffrey Rush more than matched him. Much funnier and quirkier than I thought it would be and I particularly liked the contrast shots showing the differences in Bertie and Lionels lives at home, and the amount of tension and horror that was beautifully built during the scenes showing something as simplistic as talking into a microphone.

Â