The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

in-fear-dvd.jpg

Worth a watch if you like your horror a little more on the psychological side. Very tightly written and a couple of naturalistic performances from the two main actors.

Saw Blair witch project last night. My god it is so bad. I wanted to kill the girl myself.

Yeah the characters are so annoying that the actual 'Blair Witch' herself becomes a movie hero.

in-fear-dvd.jpg

Worth a watch if you like your horror a little more on the psychological side. Very tightly written and a couple of naturalistic performances from the two main actors.

Really wanted to watch this at the cinema after seeing the trailer, then neither our Odeon or Vue bothered to screen it.  :(

Finally got to watch Taken last night .Thought it was really good. I believe there is a Taken 2, anyone know if it is as good ?

It's like the first but not as good, in every single respect. As a standalone movie, its ok.

Saw Blair witch project last night. My god it is so bad. I wanted to kill the girl myself.

I really liked it. It was a film of its time though. The shaky 'found footage' has been done to death now, but back then, it seemed fresh new. 

My thoughts about UNDER THE SKIN ~by hogso~

A very simple question - what is it? Is it sci fi, is it horror, is it an honest advert by the Scottish tourist board, is it a documentary, or is it all those things, but none of them at the same time?

The easiest way to answer that question is to go and see it, which you should. What I think it is will differ from what you think it is, I would expect.

The narrative and dialogue are minimal. I like that, and get on with it well, I enjoyed deciphering what was going on - or indeed just making my own assumptions, which is roaring good fun, and happens not nearly enough in cinema.

So, the film doesn't hold your hand at all. What it does do incredibly well is have you the viewer hold the hand of the utterly sublime Scarlett Johannson through mostly entirely mundane events, and makes them seem completely alien - eating cake, walking down steps, trundling through a crowd.

It then occasionally offers a look at the bizarre and indescribable, which is fascinating. To top it off, at the end of the film, we see one of the most....well I'm not sure. Weird, incredible, fantastic, scary, disgusting? Moments I've seen on the big screen.

And the soundtrack! Ye gods, I can still hear it reverberating around my head now. Chilling and beautiful, which is very apt. I think those would be the words that would sum up the film best.

Oh god, there were so many great lines.  

"You don't know the difference between Chiaroscuro and chicken giblets!"

"...he's actually become a dear friend."

"I'm afraid I must stop you there, because the alarms are going."

I was guffawing at the shot of

Goldblum nonchalantly throwing his cat in the bin

then realised nobody else was laughing which in turn made me look like some sort of maniac.

Edited by GarethRDR

Can't wait for it, off to see it on Sunday. :)

Saw Mud the other day, and absolutely loved it. I'm a sucker for southern films like that, usually really good at story-telling. Very man heavy, father and sons coming of age relationship themes etc, but beautifully done. Although Michael Shannon was sadly very much under used in the film I thought. But otherwise, terrific. 

Â