The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

wolf of wall street - 8/10 - really good film. Absolutely cannot understand the point of view that states its promoting the lifestyle, anyone with a brain cell can discern it evidently doesn't. Di Caprio is excellent. Not perfect, but sufficiently satisfying especially given how long it is. 

Trainspotting ......9/10 a fine fine film .....still as good today as it was in 1996 !!!

One of my all time favourites. Watching it now on Film Four +1 

• Like 1

wolf of wall street - 8/10 - really good film. Absolutely cannot understand the point of view that states its promoting the lifestyle, anyone with a brain cell can discern it evidently doesn't. Di Caprio is excellent. Not perfect, but sufficiently satisfying especially given how long it is.

I haven't seen it, but its probably one of those scenarios where people think "a film about X?... It must be promoting X!!"

Wasn't trainspotting supposedly pro heroin? After watching that there's nothing in the world I'd rather do less!

Watched a film called Mine Games last night... load of teenagers and an abandoned mine. But it wasn't your standard horror fest, it had a slightly different take on it. I can't work out if I liked it or not! 

Watched Donnie Brasco and The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas last night.

The former was brilliant. Enjoyed it a lot.

The latter was fine. Not quite the incredible tear jerker its been billed as, IMO. But worth a watch nonetheless

I haven't seen it, but its probably one of those scenarios where people think "a film about X?... It must be promoting X!!"

Wasn't trainspotting supposedly pro heroin? After watching that there's nothing in the world I'd rather do less!

Trainspotting is what, an hour and a half long? It's also incredibly black. Nothing about Wolf of Wall Street suggests it's a dark film and frankly, I don't feel the need to see three hours of that kind of shenanigans. I know for a fact that after two hours of it I'll be asking it to get on with it already.

I thought that too, I was sceptical of the long film time, but it's remarkable how well it does keep you engaged throughout. I mean, if you watch it at the end of the day already quite tired maybe it's a challenge, but you barely notice the length of time, which given the subject matter of being 'just' finance and greed is quite impressive. There are certainly some particularly nasty and repellant character traits on show I'll say that, and in more than just "yeah, I love money" obnoxious stuff. 

I thought that too, I was sceptical of the long film time, but it's remarkable how well it does keep you engaged throughout. I mean, if you watch it at the end of the day already quite tired maybe it's a challenge, but you barely notice the length of time, which given the subject matter of being 'just' finance and greed is quite impressive. There are certainly some particularly nasty and repellant character traits on show I'll say that, and in more than just "yeah, I love money" obnoxious stuff.

Ok, well argued.

The problem for me is I live amongst that money and greed. I've met thousands of his kind and they hold absolutely no allure for me. I've never once wondered what they get up to behind closed doors. In fact, I already know and I already know it repulses me.

The concept just does not grab me in the least. I'll get round to watching it on DVD though I'm sure, it's important enough to some so I'll give it a chance.

Trainspotting is what, an hour and a half long? It's also incredibly black. Nothing about Wolf of Wall Street suggests it's a dark film and frankly, I don't feel the need to see three hours of that kind of shenanigans. I know for a fact that after two hours of it I'll be asking it to get on with it already.
I'm not entirely sure this is relevant to what I was saying.

But I may have missed something.

Â