The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I've only seen Apocalypse Now Redux version and frmo what I'm told it basically is longer - and I can guess where it is, there's a long scene in it which disrupts the flow of the film a bit. Still really enjoyed it, but I can imagine it being a bit better without. 

tonight's viewing will either be Vanishing Point or Apocalypse Now 'Redux'

I have to confess, I don't know what the Redux bit means.....

I think it means 'lets make another cut of the film to make more money'.

Still, excellent movie! 

Watched Inglorious Basterds again last night. I absolutely loved it. I wasn't sure on first viewing, I think I "got it" more the second time.

It's his best work for me and now comfortably in my top 20 of all time.

I think these might be my favourite types of film.Films where you ahve to watch it a couple of times to really get it.

When I think of my "favourite films", a lot of them have been like that for me.

No Country For Old Men

O Brother Where Art Thou

Drive

And recent stuff that i've really enjoyed like Beasts of the Southern Wild and Only God Forgives are like that too.

Don't get me wrong, there's a place for "normal" films too, that don't need multiple viewings to "get". But I think I prefer those that you don't get first time round, totally.

Saw Anchorman 2 on Friday.

I'd give it: meh/10

The funny bits are funny, but it's basically exactly what I feared it would be. Way too obvious.

"Oh, people liked it when Brick said something random in the first film, so lets have him say something random every 30 seconds. That'l be hilarious!"

Basically the whole film is a series of Ron saying something loudly, Champ saying something inappropriate, Brian saying something creepy and Brick shouting something that doesn't make sense.

It's worth watching, but I'd say it's more disappointment than success, but it was always going to be.

Nah the first film was good. very good.

It had those things but they were just part of the film. They weren't the main focus.

This tried too hard, as often happens with sequels.

Donnie Brasco - just watched it for the first time on Netflix.  Cracking film. 

Star Wars (2009) - Outstanding, really loved it.  So much so that I got into darkness straight away so I can watch it.

edit: I was going to edit it back to Trek but I will let you all laugh at my stupidity.

Edited by omariqy

golden globes - 

best drama - 12 years a slave

best comedy - american hustle

best actor drama - matthew mcconaughy

best actress drama - cate blanchett

best actor comedy - leonardo di caprio

best actress comedy - amy adams

supporting actor - jared leto

supporting actress - jennifer lawrence

best director - alfonso cuaron

some surprises there