The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Just me but I really don't find any of these American comedies funny in the slightest. American humour is shite to be blunt. Silly, really silly.

Not many good comedy films from america. In fact can't think of any other then bad santa. Love that movie.

UK comedy shits all over American comedy.

• Like 1

i thought old school was better than anchorman

some yank comedy is ok, apatow stuff mainly but they now churn out so much stuff that it dilutes it

id say over the last few years - role models, 40 year old virgin, knocked up, dodge ball, wedding crashers, i love you man, pineapple express, this is the end, tropic thinder were all pretty good

sandler stuff is wank, stiller isnt much better

I recently bought the Aliens box set on Blu-Ray. I've never watched any of them properly before. Sat down and watched them all fully engrossed.

I thought that Alien3 was the best one.

The dank and dinginess of it gives it an atmosphere that none of the others have.

Although Alien gets extra marks for those white knickers Sigourney Weaver wears.

Interesting.  Can't say I've ever seen somebody go for 3.  The first two are both very highly regarded in the own right as two very different types of film, but 3 seems to fall short to most people.  Oh, while I'm here, don't even bother watching Alien Resurrection.  Appalling.

Yeah me neither. But the depression, the despair, the atmosphere, they all make it a really good film for me.

Alien is comfortably... COMFORTABLY, the best of the franchise.

Imo of course

I liked Alien far more than Aliens. Wasn't impressed with Aliens at all. It was still about 23.4 times better than Alien Resurrection though. Even though it's part of the box set I didn't even feel it warranted any kind of mention.

Alien is comfortably... COMFORTABLY, the best of the franchise.

Imo of course

I liked Alien far more than Aliens. Wasn't impressed with Aliens at all. It was still about 23.4 times better than Alien Resurrection though. Even though it's part of the box set I didn't even feel it warranted any kind of mention.

I'd go with 23.8 times better myself :D (I feel the same though. I've got the boxset. Watched the first 3 numerous times. Only ever seen resurrection once)

Yeah I think Aliens is weaker than many people make out.

I still enjoy it. But it fits perfectly into that genre of 80's action movies. As far as they go, it's the mutt's nuts. But that genre as a whole is always going to be a bit cheesy and "throwaway", if you like. Entertaining, sure. But I'd struggle to pick any movie from that sort of genre that I'd describe as real quality.

I've never seen Anchorman

I feel a part of my life may be incomplete

Probably depends on whether you like Will Ferrell or not. If you do then your life is very much incomplete. Plus it has a lot of quotable lines. An annoying amount if you ask people who don't like the film :D

Am i just one of the minority that does not find SImon Pegg at all funny?

Surely Only a minority find him funny. You're in the majority.

Simon Pegg must die. His name appearing in any American comedy instantly means it's terrible.

Shawn of the Dead was funny. He's been living off that since.

Anchorman is too quotable. The best quotes (mild spoilers)

That escalated fast.

Works 60% of the time, all the time.

I love lamp

I'm gonna punch you in the ovaries

San Diego, it means a whales vagina.

I don't understand the love for "Anchorman"... I thought it was profoundly not funny. And I like stupid comedies. When they're funny.

Agreed.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. not just me. One of biggest loads of crap Ive ever watched and I have seen rubbish in my time

Probably depends on whether you like Will Ferrell or not. If you do then your life is very much incomplete. Plus it has a lot of quotable lines. An annoying amount if you ask people who don't like the film :D

I love it and I still think there's an annoying amount :D

Comedies are not funny for everyone. I'm sure there are like 4 people in the world who didn't laugh at Aeroplane.

I'd say there's more than 4 of us.
  • Like 2

He really is an annoying actor though. think funniest things I saw him in is films where he is only in it for a cameo like Wedding Crashers or Starsky and Hutch. most of his characters are all the same anyway

He really is an annoying actor though. think funniest things I saw him in is films where he is only in it for a cameo like Wedding Crashers or Starsky and Hutch. most of his characters are all the same anyway

You should watch 'Everything Must Go'. He plays a straight role. I like when actors do something outside their norm as it's usually quite good.
  • Like 1

Â