It's a Question of Ethics....

maqroll

It's a Question of Ethics....  

39 members have voted

1. 1. It's a Question of Ethics....

• Keep the Cash
    • Return SOME of the Cash
    • Return ALL of the Cash

If you found a briefcase with $1,000,000 in cash inside, along with the owner's business card, with his name and contact information, would you keep the cash, keep some of the cash and return the rest, or return all of it?

Heheh....

That would largely depend on whether the business card suggested the owner was mafioso, Cali cartel, yakuza etc etc. Anyone walking around with and subsequently losing that amount of cash is probably a criminal. A heavy one at that.

Apart from that, you couldn't bank the money or buy anything of substantial value for cash without it being reported to the law.

That would largely depend on whether the business card suggested the owner was mafioso, Cali cartel, yakuza etc etc. Anyone walking around with and subsequently losing that amount of cash is probably a criminal. A heavy one at that.

Apart from that, you couldn't bank the money or buy anything of substantial value for cash without it being reported to the law.

For argument's sake, the man's business card identifies him as a banker, lol.....

I could make a mill stretch out a lifetime, dunno about you :winkold:

That said, my vote's not in yet

For argument's sake, the man's business card identifies him as a banker, lol.....

I could make a mill stretch out a lifetime, dunno about you :winkold:

That said, my vote's not in yet

OK, I'll roll with that. A banker? **** the word removed, the money's mine, as long as it is in smallish bills! I could make it last a lifetime as well. Lets face it, just about every bill or invoice you ever get could be paid off with that million.

if i found a wallet with £500, i would definitely send it back to the owner with all the money.

$1mill sounds dodgy. i wouldn't return it to the owner, i would hand it in to the POLICE.

(so not voted, as no option to hand in to police).

hand it in at a police station.

If the money is dodgy a) I want nowt to do with it and B) after 6 months of no-one claiming it, its legally mine and no longer dodgy

If the money isnt dodgy, then my conscience is clear and I might still get a reward.

At least I wont be looking over my shoulder for the rest of my life

hand it in at a police station.

If the money is dodgy a) I want nowt to do with it and B) after 6 months of no-one claiming it, its legally mine and no longer dodgy

If the money isnt dodgy, then my conscience is clear and I might still get a reward.

At least I wont be looking over my shoulder for the rest of my life

exactly my thought process as well.

surely thats what everyone would do once they thought about it?

after 6 months of no-one claiming it, its legally mine and no longer dodgy

And you think they'd hand it back to you ? You don't think they'd say it 'was claimed, honest' or have someone ready to mug you outside if they did?

I think regardless of the scenario, if you handed it to the police that's the last you'd ever see of it.

I wouldn't keep it.

I dunno if I'd contact the bod directly, or take it to plod. If it was a wallet I'd contact the person directly (and have done), so I dunno if I'd just do the same with a briefcase full of cash.

Bicks' logic of taking it to plod is compelling, though. Not sure I'd trust the police not to er, "lose" it, though, tbh.

Bicks' logic of taking it to plod is compelling, though. Not sure I'd trust the police not to er, "lose" it, though, tbh.

They couldn't "lose" it, they have to give you an FP number these days, there is a clear audit trail from the moment you hand it in to the cop shop. That stuff is a thing of the past

Contact him and ask for 50G's for your troubles....

An illegal act

If he says 'that's an illegal act' just say 'OK well I guess I didn't find it then, forget we had this conversation' and sit on it for a month then ring him again :)

I went for return all the cash , but to be honest I'd just leave the thing where it was

legit people don't walk about with a million in cash in a briefcase so it would clearly be dirty money .. and even though I'd be handing it back in theory , the owner may be paranoid that I then know who he is ..so easiest solution is to ignore it and let it be someone else's problem

Â