It's a Question of Ethics....

maqroll

It's a Question of Ethics....  

39 members have voted

1. 1. It's a Question of Ethics....

• Keep the Cash
    • Return SOME of the Cash
    • Return ALL of the Cash

Bicks' logic of taking it to plod is compelling, though. Not sure I'd trust the police not to er, "lose" it, though, tbh.

They couldn't "lose" it, they have to give you an FP number these days, there is a clear audit trail from the moment you hand it in to the cop shop. That stuff is a thing of the past

Police do lose evidence, documents etc still.

I have a strong moral code with a slightly wayward moral compass.

Very good way of putting it. I do too. Your compass only goes awry when others don't measure up (like in this case not rewarding your good act).

Bicks' logic of taking it to plod is compelling, though. Not sure I'd trust the police not to er, "lose" it, though, tbh.

They couldn't "lose" it, they have to give you an FP number these days, there is a clear audit trail from the moment you hand it in to the cop shop. That stuff is a thing of the past

Police do lose evidence, documents etc still.

They dont give you a receipt for evidence, even if they did lose it, they would have to compensate you or the rightful owner, one of the two of you has legal claim to the money, the money would be their responsibility, it is legaly in their trust and they would be respnsible for its safe keeping. In reality the money would be banked I think

I'd return 99.9% of it to the owner. I'd probably keep a grand or two as a finders fee. Not wholly honest, but not terribly evil either.

Or I'd ring the chap up and tell him I found the briefcase and see if he offers me a reward. I dunno. I suppose i'd probably do the hand it back and hope for a reward thing, but it's tough I know its a hypothetical but I'm still unsure what I'd do. Went for the middle option

Would've given it back to him (all of it), but having read of the Police option, would plump for that.

Maybe he didn't earn the money, but I certainly **** didn't.

The amount is immaterial.

It wouldn't be mine, so I would give it back.

spot on.

Although, just last week, i was walkig down the stairs at work and found £10 on the 3rd floor stairway (of 5). We work in an office block with 6 or 7 different companies.

no real way of handing it back, so kept it.

had it been in a wallet with someone's name in, i would have tried to return it.

Â