The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

Real Madrid dish out another hiding in the early kick off in Spain, winning a Madrid derby against Getafe 4-0.  Another hat trick for Ronaldo, who has managed to score 33 goals in 32 appearances for Real this season almost under the radar because of what Messi is doing at Barcelona.  

179 goals in 176 appearances since he signed for Real Madrid in 2009, he has certainly justified his transfer fee. He is so prolific that his fee hardly gets mentioned now, which is hugely impressive. 

Leo Messi's latest goal drought lasted 11 minutes.   He has now scored in 11 consecutive league games for Barcelona. 40 for the season (in 31 appearances). 

I find it irritating at times that Ronaldo (who, although I don't like him personally, is clearly a phenomenal footballer - one of the best ever) always seems to get compared to Messi, rather than admired for his own brilliance.

However, you have to laugh at how much Messi must really piss him off - he's just eclipsed a his fantastic achievement today, and it certainly wouldn't be the first time that's happened.

(I actually started writing this when Messi scored his hat-trick.  A few words later and he'd got 4.)

Fantastic first half - it's been an excellent game so far.  Both teams really going for it but also defending well overall.  All the same, Carvalho has looked vulnerable so I wouldn't be surprised to see him replaced, and Puyol could be caught out for pace if left exposed.  Varane has been brilliant so far.

Some on here were complaining that this game gets played too often, but the fans in Madrid don't seem to be bothered by that - they're loving it and it's contributing to a brilliant atmosphere.  Yes, it can be quite hostile, and yes there are players that make the most out of challenges, but the referee has generally dealt with it well.

Hope the second half continues in a similar fashion!

And AVFC, Pinto always plays in goal in the Copa del Rey.

was a good game for a Clasico but Barcelona are a horrible team to watch. diving, cheating, harassing referees for cards its worse than other clubs.

Puyol wanted a handball when Ronaldo headed wide and for some reason appealed against the goal and rightfully got a yellow card.

Varane was brilliant, 1st time really saw him and he carried Carvalho who had a stinker

Â