The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

I don't know if this is old news but I read today that Ronaldo's sadness is related to a need for £12m a year after tax. That's £25m a year with Spain's 52% higher tax rate. What a clearing in the woods.

Indeed. And at a time where Spain is in a massive recession. It has an unemployment rate of 25% (50% for under 25s) which is the highest in Europe and more than twice the EU average. I'd imagine the man in the street feels absolutely gutted for Ronaldo at the moment. :(

First of all, I hate Ronaldo, so I'm not defending him. However, on the balance of things, purely in footballing terms, he's one of the best and most exciting players of his generation (and sells heaps of shirts etc) so, relatively, he should be paid enough to reflect this - he should be one of the highest paid two or three players in the world, which he currently isn't. According to Marca this week, he is the tenth highest paid in terms of the salary he receives from his club. He wants to feel 'valued' in every sense of the word. Also, the more Real pay him, the more tax goes into the system for people much lower down the ladder, and he also does quite a bit of charity work.

Still an absolute prick, mind!

• 3 weeks later...

Been mentioned in this weekend's football thread, but the Barcelona win away at Deportivo last night was amazing. 5-4 in the end, after Barça were 3-0 up inside 18 minutes. Messi scored his 21st hat-trick in Barcelona colours - incredible.

I fully expect them to win nonetheless, but it looks like Dani Alves, Piqué, Puyol and Busquets will all be out of Barça's clash against Celtic on Tuesday. Might encourage Celtic to have a go at them though, which could prove entertaining.

It'll be interesting to see where he ends up. It's nice to have another side doing well in La Liga, so I'd like to see him stay at Atlético, but I can't really see them putting up a sustained challenge for the title. He's been strongly linked with Chelsea, and I wouldn't be too surprised to see it happen; but it'd leave them in a difficult situation with Torres, who has clearly found form and confidence as Chelsea's main man up front. There has been talk of Torres returning to Madrid as part of the deal, but from what I've heard, he would be reluctant to agree to such an offer. There is, of course, the possibility of them playing together, but the likelihood is that if Falcao goes to Chelsea, Torres moves on. I'm sure there would be other clubs interested in signing him, though.

Falcao for Torres is a sidewards step for Chelsea IMO. Torres is starting to find form and is linking up really well with Hazard, Mata and Oscar. Falcao is scoring for fun abroad, but so was Torres. Falcao is only a couple of years younger too, so it's not like he's going to be a more long-term Torres. It's no more likely (in fact I think it's less likely) that Falcao will come over and hit form, than Torres being able to refind his old form and be a £50m player for the first time.

Falcao to Chelsea would opitimise where the Premiership is going wrong if it happens. Big clubs spending over the top on the flavour of the month when they're not actually needed that badly. Falcao would be better off going to a club where he's actually going to BE their star signing, rather than replacing the existing star player.

We'll agree to disagree. I really rate Torres and I don't think his scoring record in Spain was any less than Falcao's is currently. I'm sure stats can prove me wrong here, but there's nothing to say that Falcao will have the success in the Premier League that he's having in La Liga. In Torres they have a player who is already well accostomed to the standard of the Premiership. Just strikes me as a 'grass is always greener...' thing.

Of course, knowing Chelsea, they'll just sign him and have both.

Â