paddy

Will you go to church this Christmas  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Will you go to church this Christmas

• Yes
    • No and I never have
    • No, but I used to
    • I do most years, but can't make it this year

Just wondered how many people go to church at Christmas? As a kid I used to go Christmas Eve for a candle lit service at a church near where my aunt and uncle live (and at the time my cousins) and then to the church at the top of my hill on Christmas morning.

That went out the window when I started getting drunk on christmas eve...

Then my family stopped going too because the vicar at our local church is a complete tosser.

Despite being an atheist I can see the attraction of going to church at Christmas, it's a nice tradition. But ever since I went drunk to midnight mass... I've not been back.

I know not everyone on here is Christian, I'm not, but I would imagine the vast majority celebrate Christmas anyway.

No, never have, never will. I'd say I'm an atheist but I'm closer to a Darwinist.

I enjoy the holiday, getting together with old friends and I always visit my parents for a couple of days (I live 200 miles form them). Religion is not part of our family's 'Christmas' though.

I know not everyone on here is Christian, I'm not, but I would imagine the vast majority celebrate Christmas anyway.

This is interesting. As most people are probably aware, Christmas isn't a Christian festival at all, it's just been hijacked. Traditions like Christmas trees are pagan rituals (indeed in the Bible God forbids his people to cut down trees and decorate them with silver and gold, apparently). It really isn't a Christian holiday at all.

Used to go as a child when my parents took me, used to bore me shitless even then. Suddenly I became aware that my Grand-Dad didn't go because he was a Communist and Communists didn't believe in God - GET OUT CLAUSE! Never went with my parents again, my Dad soon stoped going after that too and my mother couldn't argue because it was her Dad that was the Communist

The last time I went into a church on Xmas Eve however was a drunken episode, my mates dad virtually dragged me into the Catholic Church after the pub and when I came to me senses (and the smell of the incense was getting to me) I sneaked into the toilet and broke out through the window, ripping my new trousers (pissing my Mum right off on xmas day) and SETTING THE ALARM OFF IN THE CHURCH!

Pandefuckingmonium! :mrgreen:

Used to go to church on Sundays but stopped when I was 18 ('bout 8 years ago). Still go on Christmas Eve though, it's a bit of a tradition for us. However, since I have a lot of Polish relatives we go to Polish mass, but I don't speak the language so for me it's mainly about doing the church exercise routine for an hour...

Well as a hardcore atheist, I always feel totally creeped out in churches, BUT.... for nostalgic reasons I do love singing Xmas carols. There is usually a carol concert (as opposed to service) in Leeds Town Hall, and I do go to that most years. This year they had it in Leeds Parish Church (effectively the Anglican "cathedral") and I did reluctantly go, but it was a slightly uncomfortable experience I must admit.

As others have said, I like the architecture and the history, but all the superstitious ritual and mumbo jumbo seems just weird to me. The only church services as such I have been to in recent years have been the usual weddings and funerals. Even then I lurk at the back and keep my head down!

I used to play in a church band, fpr no other reason than I enjoyed playing music. (about 10 yrs ago)

Did a few midnight xmas eve services but never on xmas day itself.

Used to go for a traditional xmas day pint down schoies tho, aint happening this year though!!

Â