Running

trimandson

I thought this might help to encourage me to start but it didn't.

nah mate - killing yourself on a first run like that would put you off more than anything.

I'd have gone with something a bit more gentle to ease into the running malarkey!

did you win your bet?

You can use WalkJogRun to work out the mmmm-mileage of a road run Jon.

I've seen Trim use it, it's very cool.

good idea.

when i first started running about 5 years ago, doing my training runs, i drove the route in my car to work out the mileage ... :lol: :oops:

did you win your bet?

No I **** didn't! :angry:

A girl on my course was going on about how her boyfriend ran could run a 5 minute mile and that he was by far the fittest person she knew. She just couldn't shut her mouth so I bet I could run 2 miles in 10 minutes. Facepalm.

Looking at it now I didn't have a cat in hell's chance. It cost me a round of drinks.

Anyone who runs is a nutter. I ran 2 miles as quick as I could the other day in order to settle a bet. I did it in 12 minutes 10 seconds and I nearly collapsed afterwards. Is it the pain you enjoy or what? I'm not really getting what the hook is.
Running short-ish distances flat out is a very different thing from running longer distances at a steadier pace.

Sprinting and middle-distance running is for young, very fit, very serious athletes. Mostly what we talk about on here is longer runs, 5 miles and upwards.

As a 55-year old, about the fastest I would run in a race is slightly over 6.5 minute miling (in a 5K); not TOO far behind your 2-mile time, and yes, I suppose it does hurt. More normally, 7 minute miling in a 10K, and getting correspondingly slower as the distances increase - half-marathon, 8.5 minute miling; I'm a pretty average runner for my age.

Sometimes on a club night the "intermediate" group I run with will be pushing 5.5 minutes miling in short bursts, downhill. The "fast lads" think nothing of that, of course.

What's enjoyable about it? Fitness, friendly competition, achieving targets, but mainly the (physically and mentally) good feeling when you've finished, had a shower and have a pint in front of you. Endorphin rush.

EDIT: But I should add that the above is talking about racing and serious training. In fact my most enjoyable run of the week is probably running to work on Fridays - just under 7 miles in about 1h 5m. There's about 2.5 miles of serious uphill in there, so I take it nice and steady. It's still hard work, but boy, I feel great afterwards.

What's enjoyable about it? Fitness, friendly competition, achieving targets, but mainly the (physically and mentally) good feeling when you've finished, had a shower and have a pint in front of you. Endorphin rush.

This. Apart from the bit about the pint (try to reserve my beer for the weekend). :mrgreen:

Speedwork last night - v. good.

We use a circular bit of quiet road, which just happens to be 400m around (slightly over, actually), so it's like a "pseudo-track".

"Pyramid" reps:

Run to "track", steady

1 circuit recovery pace

1 circuit fast

1 circuit recovery pace

2 circuits fast

1 circuit recovery pace

4 circuits fast

1 circuit recovery pace

2 circuits fast

1 circuit recovery pace

1 circuit fast

1 circuit recovery pace

Run back to club, steady/fast, as desired

Really, we should have had a couple of 3x circuits in there, but we decided to cut it short as we had some relative newbies on board.

Mooney, what did you do the other day? Saw your FB status.
Our club's in a cross-country league (over five races), and it was the first race of the season. Short course - just under five miles - but running in mud saps your strength.

Races like this make a nice change from the usual 10K etc. road races - they're not about times, PBs, etc., they're about position, getting points for the club.

Haven't seen the results yet, but as we had the race winner (admittedly a - legit - ringer) we should be up there at the top of the table.

I finished somewhere in the middle of the pack, as usual.

And this was somewhere on lap 3 (I'm the one in blue):

PECO_1_CC_277.jpg

You can use WalkJogRun to work out the mmmm-mileage of a road run Jon.

I've seen Trim use it, it's very cool.

Thanks for that link Laura. Using it now to see how far I walked yesterday morning. I walked over 6 miles. Going again tomorrow.

Oh brilliant, 6 miles too! Nice one. :thumb:

This. Apart from the bit about the pint (try to reserve my beer for the weekend). :mrgreen:

This the same guy that used to drink several cans whilst playing WOW on a weeknight? ;)

Mike,

You always seem to be in pain on any of the pictures I see of you running. Do you ever smile ?

No pain, no gain.... I tend to be working as hard as I can rather than smiling for the camera!

I also always look like I'm walking, when I'm actually running flat out!

Ho hum.

good feeling when you've finished, had a shower and have a pint in front of you. Endorphin rush.

you mean you enjoy the feeling of not doing it anymore? I have that feeling all the time!

good feeling when you've finished, had a shower and have a pint in front of you. Endorphin rush.

you mean you enjoy the feeling of not doing it anymore? I have that feeling all the time!

No, the feeling of "not doing it, having done it" is MUCH better than the feeling of "not doing it, having NOT done it".

This the same guy that used to drink several cans whilst playing WOW on a weeknight? ;)

Ahhhh, the good (bad) old days eh Dan? :D

Can't imagine doing that now somehow. And I feel a hell of a lot better for it too (the drinking less, not the WoW!) 8)

Trim and I did another 10k last night, and although Trim will admit to not being at his best, it was still a good run out.

Going for another 'off-road' 5-6 miles at the weekend as the first one we did was a great success and it's nice to get some mud on the trainers.

We're discussing some organised runs for next year, looking forward to that immensely.

We're discussing some organised runs for next year, looking forward to that immensely.

If you want the buzz of a bigger crowd and loads of paraphernalia, look at some of the great run events. They have quite a lot throughout the country nowadays.

Great Run

If you want the buzz of a bigger crowd and loads of paraphernalia, look at some of the great run events. They have quite a lot throughout the country nowadays.

Great Run

Thanks Jon. I'll check that out. :thumb:

I've lost my boyfriend to another man and the open road... :lol:

My mother is also running widdow, my dad prides himself on being 54 with 30 and 32 year old sons who he could ALWAYS outrun. My dad has done a number of things, including the Twin Peaks and does the Across Wales every year. He currently still does about 20-30 miles a week.

Below is a picture of him about to compete in yet another Across Wales. I am incredibly proud of him.

Dad.jpg

Â