Running

trimandson

What's a good amount of time for someone who is just starting to jog again? I realise this is about running, however I think I need to start jogging again before running. Would 20 minutes a day be enough to get started and then build up from there?

Jogging is running, at least in my world! I think the message is distance over time?

Ah, the "J" word.

A lass I work with took up running, joined a club and got very good at it - did a lot of races etc. One day somebody came in and asked her "Oh, do you still go jogging?" She nearly got her head ripped off!

best bet sign up for a 10k cancer research run-great motivation to train. I do about 6 such runs a year and train 3 or 4 times a week. Best advise is to train no matter what the weather, set yourself an agenda and stick to it, this will increase mental stamina which is the only barrier you need to break. Also good to mix up your routes etc, muscles know if they are doing the same routine which is not good and maybe chuck in some sprint work. Have you heard of the Cooper Test? Google it, very good way to measure fitness. Good luck and last bit of advise, get an Ipod and stick on some pantera and Guns N Roses, nothing like seeing the expressions on bystanders faces when they see someone jogging whilst playing the air guitar!!!

What's a good amount of time for someone who is just starting to jog again? I realise this is about running, however I think I need to start jogging again before running. Would 20 minutes a day be enough to get started and then build up from there?

Jogging is running, at least in my world! I think the message is distance over time?

I don't have anything to measure the distance unless I count my steps. That's why I was wondering if there is any time I should aim for.

best bet sign up for a 10k cancer research run-great motivation to train. I do about 6 such runs a year and train 3 or 4 times a week. Best advise is to train no matter what the weather, set yourself an agenda and stick to it, this will increase mental stamina which is the only barrier you need to break. Also good to mix up your routes etc, muscles know if they are doing the same routine which is not good and maybe chuck in some sprint work. Have you heard of the Cooper Test? Google it, very good way to measure fitness. Good luck and last bit of advise, get an Ipod and stick on some pantera and Guns N Roses, nothing like seeing the expressions on bystanders faces when they see someone jogging whilst playing the air guitar!!!

Haha!

Right, quick report....

D1 and I went out tonight with a target of 5miles, and we only bloody did it!

That's easily a personal best in distance for me, and I think D1 said the same too.

It was absolutely amazing when we reached that last lap, a proper rush, I'm still buzzing now, the final bursts of pace, the encouragement to each other over the last stretch to just push it that little bit harder, absolutely class, nothing like it.

Only slight gripe was a stiff calf for the first few laps (of 10) which eased up with a little uphill sprint and a slight knee knack for both of us, although I think that's to be expected given I'm a fatlad and it's the first time either of us have pushed that far.

Highlights? A group of little scallies clapping and cheering us on, finishing(!), excellent pacing and speed, a massive improvement in lungs from last time, and I think we both excelled what we expected, and some excellent Brian Potter and Mark Lawrenson impressions (bloody dark!)

I feel like I got a benchmark now, five miles, 8k, I've got good distance which I can concentrate on improving on, I know I'm some way from doing it without a break, but shit, it felt good to just complete it, and still running on the last lap too.

Bigups to y'all for the helps, and D1 for setting the benchmark so high and being quite so motivational 3 laps in!

Bloody superb achievement, buzzing man.

I don't have anything to measure the distance unless I count my steps. That's why I was wondering if there is any time I should aim for.

www.walkjogrun.co.uk

lamp posts are the most obvious ones mate, not sure the exact distance but either way most boxers use it as a guide as they can also provide a good way of doing and improving interval training. are you near a football pitch? again great for distance work. distance is not so important in running it is usually time. A good indicator is running for at least 30 mins at first then improving the time. although you may slow down as you increase the time (there is no harm in walking during initial training), you are teaching your body to exercise longer, as stated earlier it is passing the mental barrier. Soon your brain will get used to working for an hour or whatever then that is the time to improve distance covered over the set time.

Fantastic Trim! Good show mate.

I knew as soon as I set out today it wasn't going to be a 'fun' run. My entire body screamed at me to stop, before I got to the end of the road. So what did I do? I set out hard in an attempt to get it over with as quick as possible. Big, big, big mistake when I got to the hill climb home.

I almost, almost walked.

My legs felt like they had another couple of miles in them earlier, but my lungs are an absolute disgrace. So I was left a little demoralised at first.

But sitting here a couple of hours later I feel on top of the world again. Aching a little, but the sense of achievement is absolutely out of this world. I'm still in love, even more so than the first time. Going again tomorrow as I'm off work, may even go twice if my lungs can handle it.

Haha!

Right, quick report....

D1 and I went out tonight with a target of 5miles, and we only bloody did it!

That's easily a personal best in distance for me, and I think D1 said the same too.

It was absolutely amazing when we reached that last lap, a proper rush, I'm still buzzing now, the final bursts of pace, the encouragement to each other over the last stretch to just push it that little bit harder, absolutely class, nothing like it.

Only slight gripe was a stiff calf for the first few laps (of 10) which eased up with a little uphill sprint and a slight knee knack for both of us, although I think that's to be expected given I'm a fatlad and it's the first time either of us have pushed that far.

Highlights? A group of little scallies clapping and cheering us on, finishing(!), excellent pacing and speed, a massive improvement in lungs from last time, and I think we both excelled what we expected, and some excellent Brian Potter and Mark Lawrenson impressions (bloody dark!)

I feel like I got a benchmark now, five miles, 8k, I've got good distance which I can concentrate on improving on, I know I'm some way from doing it without a break, but shit, it felt good to just complete it, and still running on the last lap too.

Bigups to y'all for the helps, and D1 for setting the benchmark so high and being quite so motivational 3 laps in!

Bloody superb achievement, buzzing man.

Yep, It was rather excellent. As Mike (Mooney) has pointed out before, It really is better running with another person/people. Particularly if it's someone like Trim who is more than up for any challenge I throw at him.

Great sense of satisfaction tonight, god only knows how I'll be when I do a 10mile run. It's all becoming quite addictive.

Best part for me? Apart from slightly sore feet and a twinge on my left knee I felt absolutely fine at the end. I had expected the old 'breathing through my arse' but I was fine.

Next target has to be a 10k but I'm happy to just do between 5-8k for the moment.

Isn't it funny how the start of a run is harder than the end..

That's why it's important to warm up properly first.

Did a 5 mile run last night, but started off way too fast, in an attempt to impress one of the neighbours who was driving up the road.

Had to slow right down, once she had turned the other way in order to get my breathing back to normal

Absolutely loving the reports, Trim and D1, they remind me of everything I love about running. You should really consider grouping these together as a "beginners' diary" and submit them to Runners World magazine - they really like motivational stuff like this.

Or get yourself a Nike + or something similar, it tracks and records all your runs, time, pace distance and stores them all for you.

Can help you prepare for races, 5k 10k half marathon full marathon etc etc

Dont worry mooney you can have it without any music, just set it up at the start to record but no music playing ;)

screenshot20091002at101.jpg

screenshot20091002at100.jpg

When I start a run my legs feel heavy as hell for about 10 minutes until they get used to it. There's the mental aspect too, 'here we go'.

There's a good quote I read that said 'the hardest part of any run is putting on your shoes', and it's completely true. For me, at least.

Something I don't like though is I no longer get the 'runner's high' after finishing a run. I remember when I first started out I felt so good at the end but now I'm indifferent.

Oh well, I sure feel good when I look in the mirror these days. :D

There's a good quote I read that said 'the hardest part of any run is putting on your shoes', and it's completely true. For me, at least.

Have you tried velcro :D

Thanks for the feedback all, it's bloody ace man :D

When I start a run my legs feel heavy as hell for about 10 minutes until they get used to it. There's the mental aspect too, 'here we go'.

Something I don't like though is I no longer get the 'runner's high' after finishing a run. I remember when I first started out I felt so good at the end but now I'm indifferent.

The "first ten minutes" thing never goes away, but do you run on your own? Because I find I get the best "post-run" buzz on club nights when we have a competitive burn-up and then hit the bar.

Quick update...

D1 and I managed a 6.5miler on Wednesday night.

We started off doing the usual 0.5m lap three times round the park before it got dark, so we took it to the road.

Christ, D1 was on a mission man.

Anyways, after finding a very nice new route, we got back, measured it up on WJR, and it came in at 6.5miles, holy shit! A lot easier running that route too, don't know why, maybe it was a psychological thing, but there seemed to be less walking and brisker pace.

Anyway, well chuffed! Going again tomorrow morning, we love it man :)

Way to go Trimmy. I think you're ready for Stourbridge R.C.

Don't forget to watch the Half on Sunday, if you can. I hope to be finishing from about 11.40 onwards.

Â