Running

trimandson

• 1 month later...

I work in the city centre and have just come back from a very enjoyable run alonside the canals in the deep lying untouched snow

I was a bit wary that it would be slippery underfoot, however everywhere was covered with 3 to 4 inches of snow

hope its still around tommorow :P

The benefits of running barefoot have long been supported by scientific research, coaches, and athletes who've offered ample evidence that training without shoes allows you to run faster and further with fewer injuries.

Motion studies demonstrate that when running barefoot, one naturally lands on the forefoot, directly below your center of gravity. This results in optimum balance, increased stability, less impact, and greater propulsion. According to Dr. Ivo Waerlop of the Vibram® Biomechanics Advisory Board, "Running in Vibram® FiveFingers® improves agility, strength, and equilibrium, plus it delivers sensory feedback that allows runners to make immediate corrections in their form. This greatly improves running efficiency."

No footwear comes closer to recreating the experience and natural sensation of running barefoot than Vibram® FiveFingers®. It delivers all the health and performance benefits of barefoot running–with less the risk of injury. Our patented Vibram® sole acts like a second skin to protect you from elements and obstacles, so you can reap the rewards of barefoot running.

As with any new sport or activity, Vibram recommends you consult your physician or a medical professional to see if ChiRunning or Pose Method running in Vibram® FiveFingers® is right for you. It may not be appropriate for people with severe pronation or supronation.

they look cool and i would definitely try a pair - i love the feeling of running with next to nothing on your fet.

However, not at these prices! :shock:

Nice but pricey

Haven't run now since Boxing Day. I don't mind cold, but I am a total coward when it comes to the risk of slipping and falling.

What with all the Xmas eating and drinking my fitness is bleeding away bigtime.

Haven't run now since Boxing Day. I don't mind cold, but I am a total coward when it comes to the risk of slipping and falling.

Tell me about it Mike. New Years Day since me and Trim last ventured out and it's driving me up the bloody wall at the moment. Bastard snow! :evil:

I was the same as you guys until this week. I hadn't ran for around 10 days (because of the snow/ice) and was getting really pissed off with the white stuff after the initial novelty of it.

In the end I just bit the bullet and got the trainers and trakcsuit on. I'm not mad enough to hit the normal roads I run (I don't want to die), but I did manage to get some good running done in the nearby park. I literally just went and did 20 odd laps of the park in foot-thick snow and it was fine. Obviously it feels a little strange to begin with - and there is still the mild danger of slipping - but it was easily do-able. You're much safer sticking to the fluffy white stuff, as opposed to the beaten down ice on the roads.

Running on snow is also a brilliant workout - far better than just running on the roads. It's a lot tougher and you get more out of it when all is said and done.

did 20 mins on the treadmill in the gym today................

Never thought I'd be posting in this topic tbh

running or walking gareth?

20 mins non stop running as a starter would be some very good going!

Gyms FTW! :winkold:

fast walking uphill (about 4 degree gradient), I did do about 15 mins running on it a few days previously though,

Gyms FTW! :winkold:

That was my first thought. May not be as good as outside but it would keep you ticking over Mike.

I've just started running. Can do two hours of football fairly easily with the anaerobic nature of stop start sprinting but have never been a good runner and have always hated jogging for any length of time. The base level of fitness is there, it's getting used to the stamina of going for 30 mins+ consecutively that's difficult for me.

Still the imprvements in only 2 weeks have been decent and i'm finding 30 minutes doable and the speed is creeping up too. Aiming for 10k runs in 60 mins which i hope isnt too bad?

fast walking uphill (about 4 degree gradient), I did do about 15 mins running on it a few days previously though,

fast walking uphill on that gradient is probably gonna get you as knackered as actual running.

you new to the whole gym lark, or an occassional attendee?

I love it personally. Plus usually it's a great opportunity to view very fit women in very little clothing/tight fitting gym gear who are al hot and sweaty.

What's not to like? (apart from the fat, saggy 60 year old women you get in there during the day, often in skimpy attire) :mrgreen:

I've been out twice this year - but enjoyed neither of them. Having to look down at all the time as to where to place your feet, makes it far harder then just looking up.

With the new running trainers I got for Christmas, I'm longing for a good 10 miles on an ice free road.

Went for a run a couple of weeks back, the weather since then has been impossible to get out in (let alone get on a bike). Too much worry of slipping and injury. No drinking in 2010, feel really good for it, really sleeping well, feeling energetic. Up to 3500 metres in the swimming pool.

We've already discussed my pathological aversion to gyms.

TBH, I'm treating this as theraputic enforced rest. Yes, I will lose fitness, but it'll come back, and I suspect that the layoff will actually do some good in the long run.

You should purchase a treadmill mj... when you can't run in this slippy and snowy weather they're really good to have. I personally prefer running outside, but I don't want to be breaking my arms or legs running in this weather so I bought myself a treadmill and have been using it whilst I can't run outside.

You should purchase a treadmill mj... when you can't run in this slippy and snowy weather they're really good to have. I personally prefer running outside, but I don't want to be breaking my arms or legs running in this weather so I bought myself a treadmill and have been using it whilst I can't run outside.
Thought about it - and/or an exercise "bike".

Objections:

1) Whenever I've tried running on a treadmill I've found it very difficult to get the hang of it

2) Cost

3) Doesn't seem worth it for the limited use it would get

4) The wife is very against it as it takes up space in the house (and I tend to agree)

BTW I also hate swimming (actually I like swimming in the sea, but I hate swimming pools).

Nope, I'll just wait for the snow to clear and I'll be outside again.

Never thought I'd end up on this thread, but anyway...

Started going to the gym a couple of weeks back. Last Friday, I thought I'd have a bosh on the treadmill just to see how unfit I was, and to see if I could run 400 yards. To my surprise, I ran a mile, though it nearly killed me (I'm a smoker who likes a kebab and lots of beers and who hasn't even ran for a bus for about ten years...). I was quite chuffed with myself, so had another crack on Tuesday. MAnaged to run 3.8km in 20 minutes, and only stoped because of the timer on the treadmill. Now I'm off running there again tomorrow, and am loving the fact that I can run! Got a bit of a calf strain, but that's probably because I didn't bother to stretch at all...

So... how long does it take to build up to run a reasonable distance, say 10k? I'm planning on ditching the fags in the next month or two...

I've just started running. Can do two hours of football fairly easily with the anaerobic nature of stop start sprinting but have never been a good runner and have always hated jogging for any length of time. The base level of fitness is there, it's getting used to the stamina of going for 30 mins+ consecutively that's difficult for me.

Still the imprvements in only 2 weeks have been decent and i'm finding 30 minutes doable and the speed is creeping up too. Aiming for 10k runs in 60 mins which i hope isnt too bad?

I had the same problems when i first started running Grant. I had a very good base fitness from football. I went to the gym a lot, played 11 a side and 5 a side twice a week, and also used to go circuit training.

However, the first few times i tried to run longer distance for a prolonged period, it nearly killed me.

Like you, i was used to all the stop/start/sprint/walk explove fitness of football.

My body was simply not used to prolonged running without stopping. Took me a good few treadmill runs and a good bit of going through the pain barrier before long distnace running became anythign like normal or comfortable for me.

but then there's the injuries associated with road running (especially the knees and more lately my achilles tendons).

So now i'm back to the gym and football. I have come full circle.

Â