Running

trimandson

I imagine the wind is helping out a certain amount.

But still, even in winter when I'm walking I get so hot I just go out in t-shirts and jeans. I remember walking to work one winter morning absolutely boiling in a t-shirt whilst everyone else was wrapped up in jumpers and coats.

I'm a strange fella. I can run over 3 miles without so much as a damp armpit but after 5 minutes of walking I'm sweating like a pig.

Can anyone explain that?

seeemples.

same for me. It's becuase when you run, you're getting the wind effect cooling you, and drying the sweat.

you don't get that when you walk (and usually wear more clothes)

also, i'd bet once you've finsihed your run, that you start to sweat quite a bit at that point? especially if you go indoors quite soon after.

that's how it works for me, anyway.

Now this might even encourage me to go running:

Marathon du Médoc: running with wine

Chefs and wine: it's as natural a pairing as cheese and crackers, the one complements the other. Chefs and running – well, with the exception of a very few (I can think of Michel Roux Jnr and that terrier Gordon Ramsay) this is a more strained union. Most chefs would rather kick off their clogs in the company of a pleasant vintage (they do spend all day on their feet) than don a pair of trainers.

As for wine and running, everybody knows that's not a wise combination. Everyone that is except the French, whose Marathon du Médoc, which took place over the weekend, is a celebration of exactly that.

Each year thousands of people, many of them in flamboyant fancy dress, gather in the town of Pauillac in the Médoc area of Bordeaux to run a course that winds through some of the world's greatest vineyards and is, without a doubt, the most Bacchanalian event in the charity sporting calendar.

This year a team from Park Lane's Galvin at Windows restaurant comprising chef Chris Galvin, general manager Fred Sirieix and assistant restaurant manager Andy Sicklin joined the throng to raise money for their own charity.

More than 30 chateaux opened their gates to the sweating masses, and as usual local producers laid on tables of 'degustation' offering everything from foie gras and escargot to artisan cheeses. The result is a carnival-like celebration with runners and spectators enjoying the best the region has to offer as as the route winds through the almost mythically scenic grounds of Bordeaux's wine producers.

As the day wore on entrants were encouraged along the 42k course by increasingly enthusiastic chants of "Allez! Allez!" from the local people who had gathered in multigenerational hordes to cheer them on. A bedraggled, half-cut Jesus, the Village People, chain gangs and numerous clowns sprinted, jogged and hobbled their way through the vineyards. It is, of course, a uniquely French event. Can you imagine seeing such local pride and blasé attitudes to drunken running in Tunbridge Wells?

So how did team Galvin fare in the 30 degree heat? Having spent the previous night filling up on duck, monkfish, red wine and cognac at Chateau La Lagune, surprisingly well, as it turned out.

The uber-fit Sirieix finished in a very impressive 229th place with a time of 3h40m. He was crossing the finish line around the same time that I bumped into a shattered, chafed, but determined Chris Galvin at the legendary Chateau Lafite Rothschild, roughly the halfway mark. He finished triumphantly after 6h26m minutes, just four minutes within the medal cut-off time, and an hour after Sicklin's 5h27m.

"It's a great way to see how families and villages really embrace and celebrate the local gastronomy," said Galvin. "Because as much as I'd love to see that happen in England, it doesn't."

... a little more on link

Did 7 and a bit miles the other night in 56 mins.

I'll do at least another run of 7 and a bit by the end of the week and then next week up the distance by another mile or so, and so on until the weekend before.

I think I might just be ready for the big day :)

Sorry Mooney, did mean to do it last night but clean forgot...

Anyways, the benefits of having a running partner were amazingly apparent last night.

Having someone to gas with whilst running helped more than anything else I've ever known, before I'd realised we'd done 4k (albeit with a few walking sections, I'm not that fit yet).

D1 can run some for a bloke 12 years my senior I tell ya!

Good running though, nice run, gonna look at running shoes on payday, looking forward to proper footwear.

Anyways, the benefits of having a running partner were amazingly apparent last night.

Having someone to gas with whilst running helped more than anything else I've ever known, before I'd realised we'd done 4k (albeit with a few walking sections, I'm not that fit yet).

Good running though, nice run, gonna look at running shoes on payday, looking forward to proper footwear.

Ah, the sound of a penny dropping. I spent years thinking I preferred to run alone. Then I joined a running club, and improved leaps and bounds. Did nine miles last Tuesday with the club - speedwork and steep hills included, and it flew by - we were 5.5 minute miling on some of the downhill bits, too. I would never work that hard on my own.

I'm really looking forward to the B'ham Half, now. Hope those of you not running it will come down to give us a shout.

Ah, the sound of a penny dropping. I spent years thinking I preferred to run alone. Then I joined a running club, and improved leaps and bounds. Did nine miles last Tuesday with the club - speedwork and steep hills included, and it flew by - we were 5.5 minute miling on some of the downhill bits, too. I would never work that hard on my own.

I'm really looking forward to the B'ham Half, now. Hope those of you not running it will come down to give us a shout.

When is it?

Yeah, running with someone else aswell gave the competitive edge, not racing, but on the last uphill on the last circuit there was twice as much determination to make it as not to let myself nor Si down, it was a self-imposed psychological battle that I wasn't going to lose!

Can't wait to go again.

I've clocked Wednesdays run and each lap was 0.48miles, so I think it was probably more than 4k.

Going to get some trainers Wednesday, any advice or just go for what is recommended?

Ta.

Go with what is recommended, they should watch you run and decide which type of trainers you need.

Its not just a case of buying any old pair as they might do more harm than good.

Got me some Asics, apparently I roll slightly to the left off my right foot or something (that bitch telling me how I roll, I KNOW how I roll).

Got her to knock a tenner off the price too with a little bit of charm, I think she fancied me in truth, so got em for 60notes, mint.

Went out in them tonight, first time, with the running tutor D1 (legend, the man is a legend), did 6.161km well chuffed by that, well chuffed, did it in about 45-50 minutes I think, not sure on time, have to check with D1, but not bothered by time, it was an awesome run.

Big ups to D1 for taking me under his running wing!

And another 2.81miles tonight on my own, tried to do the interval training for the first half.

It went as follows....

Jog, SPRINT, walk and pant quite a lot, SPRINT, walk and pant quite a lot, SPRINT FOR A BIT, lots of walking and panting (in 30 second intervals).

When I realised this wasn't working for me (after about half a mile) i decided to try and concentrate on a steady pace, few hills and all that.

Difficult tonight (I'd been Rock Climbing for two hours before, so I was pretty spent when I left) but it was ace again.

Took a turning down the canal and it was pretty cool, still water, very few folks about, flat and very few potholes, twas good yes.

Think it was about 40 minutes tonight.

It's great when you can hit a rhythm and just cruise along. That's my usual solo long run at the weekend (10 miles or so in about an hour and a half).

Then again I love my Tuesday night club workouts, which can get competitive and FAST. Seven hilly miles to work tomorrow morning, maybe the weekly Parkrun 5K time trial on Saturday, maybe not. Long run Sunday.

Have just entered a couple more races (a 10 mile and a 10K) in November, to follow on from the Brum Half. Plus the last couple of team races in our veterans' league. I love the autumn racing season.

Â