Running

trimandson

Another 5k this morning with D1, bloody suffering for the first few laps, but I haven't stopped all week including playing football yesterday morning for 90minutes.

It's not getting much easier on the lungs or legs with each run, but I'm managing to push further, less stopping, less walking, and the recovery period seems to be almost halving every time.

It's good man, loving it.

A quick question for you serious runners, how do you eat for a run?

Sometimes I run in the evening, I tend to have something on toast about 4/5ish and run at about 6.30, is that the best way to do it?

Should I be looking at carbs or protein too?

A quick question for you serious runners, how do you eat for a run?

Sometimes I run in the evening, I tend to have something on toast about 4/5ish and run at about 6.30, is that the best way to do it?

Pretty much this. Actually I can get away with a smallish portion of practically anything, provided it's at least 1.5 hours or so before I run. Including a glass of wine or a bottle of beer! Some of my club mates on the other hand can't eat at all for several hours before running. I'd seriously lack energy if I did that. Depends on your metabolism, I guess.

If I'm running early (e.g. to work), I just have a slice of toast and maybe a couple of jaffa cakes, plus a cup of tea, half-an-hour before I run.

Training's going nicely (kiss of death to say that). Twelve miles yesterday afternoon. Hard work, but rewarding.

I'm taking up running again after a fleeting attempt a couple of years back. It's going to be an absolute **** killer I'm sure, but hopefully worth it. part of the reason is the £50 pair of running trainers I have sat in the closet doing **** all!

Wish me luck?

Luck doesn't come into it. If you want to do it you will.

Start slowly.

Luck doesn't come into it. If you want to do it you will.

Start slowly.

Oh, you don't have to worry about me starting slow!

It's a combined effort, quit smoking, start running with the aim of climbing something big. Don't ask why, just an urge.

I blame this thread.

2 miles, give or take.

****, but I feel fantastic. It took about 20 minutes, which I assume is terrible, but I don't care.

Amazing feeling.

Sounds perfectly respectable to me Dave. Nice one.

The only problem with my route is, the run out is downhill the run back in seriously up hill. But cheers for the encouragement.

I can't remember the last time I had sweat ripping from my nose, my chest, running down my arms. I think I'm in love....

I ran 10.5 miles on Sunday so I know I can run that far at least, with the Brum Half Marathon 11 days away.

Being new to this and the half marathon being my first run/race of any kind, I've got a few queries which if any of the regular runners can advise on, I'd most appreciate it!

1. Throughout my training, I've never taken on fluid whilst running, I've waited til I've finished and got home. Given there are going to be water stations every couple of miles, is it a good idea to take on water even if you don't feel you particularly need it, or just as and when you feel you do?

2. Does anybody use these energy drink / gels? When I ran 10.5 miles the other day, I hit 9 miles and all of a sudden I started to feel it and could probably have done with some sort of energy boost.

3. Now I've run 10.5 miles (and it seemed to take a lot out of me) is it a good idea to run it again this weekend only 7 days before the main event, or stick to shorter runs in the rest of the build up?

4. I've read that during the week of the actual run it's best to take it easy which makes sense. What running will you guys do that week?

5. Is there any mileage trying to run the same (or similar) route as the half marathon beforehand?

6. I've done pretty much all of my training in the evening's. I get in from work at 6pm and go straight out (and similar time at weekends) so the last thing I've eaten is usually at 2pm. Given this run starts at 10am, what would you guys normally eat and when beforehand? An issue I can see is that I don't usually have breakfast (bad, I know) but will need to eat something that day obviously!

Sorry that's quite a lot, I'm just thinking out loud. I should probably be paying somebody for all of this advice but thought I'd throw it out to the VT family :P

I ran 10.5 miles on Sunday so I know I can run that far at least, with the Brum Half Marathon 11 days away.

Being new to this and the half marathon being my first run/race of any kind, I've got a few queries which if any of the regular runners can advise on, I'd most appreciate it!

OK. Usual disclaimers apply. Others will have different advice, and don't blame me if you have a bad race.

1. Throughout my training, I've never taken on fluid whilst running, I've waited til I've finished and got home. Given there are going to be water stations every couple of miles, is it a good idea to take on water even if you don't feel you particularly need it, or just as and when you feel you do?
There is a school of thought that if you're starting to feel thirsty you're already getting dehydrated, therefore you should take regular drinks anyway. A lot of people worry that they'll be busting for a piss, but I think that's mostly psychological - you lose plenty of fluid through sweat and you'll probably be fine. I plan to take a quick drink at each station, while trying not to lose momentum.

2. Does anybody use these energy drink / gels? When I ran 10.5 miles the other day, I hit 9 miles and all of a sudden I started to feel it and could probably have done with some sort of energy boost.
I would treat gels with caution - certainly don't use them for the first time on a race - apart from the fact that they taste like wallpaper paste they can give you the shits if you're not used to them. If you're wearing a bum bag you could take an energy bar or some jelly babies or dates. Personally I tend not to bother. See also the discussion on Red Bull etc. (either in this thread or the "other" one).

3. Now I've run 10.5 miles (and it seemed to take a lot out of me) is it a good idea to run it again this weekend only 7 days before the main event, or stick to shorter runs in the rest of the build up?
Hard to say - I'm in the same dilemma. I did 12 miles last Sunday and I can't decide whether to do a long run this weekend. I may do 10. Check out one of the training plans on the Runners World website to see what they advise (I tend to just play it by ear, which is a bit silly).

4. I've read that during the week of the actual run it's best to take it easy which makes sense. What running will you guys do that week?
See above. At the moment I'm thinking 7m on Tuesday, 3/4m on Thursday and a walk on Friday, but this may change.

5. Is there any mileage trying to run the same (or similar) route as the half marathon beforehand?
In my opinion, no. Apart from the need to "taper" (see above), you'll just conclude that it's too far/too hard and fill yourself with apprehension. On the day, with loads of other runners and raceday adrenaline it'll be OK.

6. I've done pretty much all of my training in the evening's. I get in from work at 6pm and go straight out (and similar time at weekends) so the last thing I've eaten is usually at 2pm. Given this run starts at 10am, what would you guys normally eat and when beforehand? An issue I can see is that I don't usually have breakfast (bad, I know) but will need to eat something that day obviously!
This can be a problem. Personally, I try and get up early and have some cereal, usually porridge, and maybe a banana, giving it plenty of time to digest.

Sorry that's quite a lot, I'm just thinking out loud. I should probably be paying somebody for all of this advice but thought I'd throw it out to the VT family :P
That's what we're here for, bro.

Â