Running

trimandson

Agree with Mike on all parts.

Last year I did run most of the course, but then realised we ran over the Birchfield Flyovers, and underneath tunnels (which I couldn't obviously due during training). This year, I have not run any part of the course whatsoever.

I will go for maybe a 7 miler this weekend, and two 3 mile runs (one on Tuesday and one on Thursday) and then that is it.

On race day, I'll wake about 6.30am - Have some porridge and a cup of tea. Try and squeeze a shit out, and then just try and stay nice and relaxed.

Planning to get to the city centre between 9/9.30 and then loosen up my legs, do some stretches, and try and have a piss about 10 mins before gun time.

As for drinking on route, they gave a load of Powerade out at each station, so just grabbed a bottle, took a few swigs, and then parted company with it.

I did it in 2 hours 13 minutes.

Was running with a female colelague, and we had set a goal to complete it under 2 hours 30 minutes, so was pretty pleased.

This year I wanted to go below 2 hours, but due to problems this year with my hamstrings, just be glad to get close to last years time.

What you aiming for just of of interest ?

Wish i could run that far, mental thing i reckon fitness i could do it i hope, doing 18miles in 5 days currently, bout 10k every other day having weekends off.

The idea of having to run for a couple of hours knowing that, at the start would be tough for me.

Knee plays up as well hence the rest days, never really painful but its 'there' especially when not running.

I run for boxing training and do anywhere between 6KM to 8KM in 20-30 mins, decent time/length? Or do you should I speed it up/lengthen it out a bit?
Pretty good. You certainly wouldn't disgrace yourself in a 5k/10k race by the sound of it.

But I have no idea what is required for boxing training as opposed to running in its own right.

I run for boxing training and do anywhere between 6KM to 8KM in 20-30 mins, decent time/length? Or do you should I speed it up/lengthen it out a bit?
Pretty good. You certainly wouldn't disgrace yourself in a 5k/10k race by the sound of it.

But I have no idea what is required for boxing training as opposed to running in its own right.

In boxing terms it's generally the same as allround fitness terms, roughly 30-35 mins is decent as it's the scheduled length of the fight. Good to know it's a decent time :thumb:

That's a lot quicker than I can manage at the minute Gabby, 5k in about 30 minutes is about my benchmark at the minute, although I'm still trying to build up the distance, time can follow another time.

Couldn't give a monkeys about time at the moment tbh. It's all about the distance baby! 8)

Correct. Time OR distance, but don't worry about the ratio between them at this stage.

So, build up your runs either in terms of "time on your feet" (disregarding how far you get in that time), OR in terms of building up mileage (but not worrying about how long it takes).

This will get you up to a decent level of fitness, and THEN you can start putting the two together, by either trying to increase the distance covered in a set time, or by reducing your time for a set distance. In other words.... SPEED! VROOOM!

Incidentally, speedwork is much better done with running partners than on your own, in my experience.

Going for number two tonight. Feel a bit of an eijit for not going last night but I think I've got mental problems at the minute so it had to take a back burner!

I measured my circuit on a handy link trim gave me and it worked out to 1.8m. Should I go for that same distance again? I feel I could maybe do another half lap and walk my way back home to warm down, or am I pushing myself too much?

What's a good amount of time for someone who is just starting to jog again? I realise this is about running, however I think I need to start jogging again before running. Would 20 minutes a day be enough to get started and then build up from there?

Going for number two tonight. Feel a bit of an eijit for not going last night but I think I've got mental problems at the minute so it had to take a back burner!

I measured my circuit on a handy link trim gave me and it worked out to 1.8m. Should I go for that same distance again? I feel I could maybe do another half lap and walk my way back home to warm down, or am I pushing myself too much?

Even if you walked it, it would only do you good.

I'd recommend trying to run it, if it don't happen you're not going lose anything by walking it, it's only going to be postive.

Good luck.

And D1, still as a board at the minute so some serious hardcore stretching is needed tonight (not goatse hardcore stretching, let me make that clear!), but yeah, even if I walk the last few laps, I'll do 5 mile tonight, I'm there man :twisted:

Â