Running

trimandson

I heard today it can be a bad thing to run on treadmills, damages knees etc, any truth to this?
I've heard the opposite - people I know with knee problems use the treadmill rather than the roads until it's cleared up.

Personally I wouldn't touch a treadmill with a bargepole, I hate gyms with a passion.

Run off road.

Is supposed to damage your knees if you dont have it at an incline apparently- should be at 1.0 at the least incline on most treadmills takes shock away from your knees i was told when i changed gym.

Sorry yes, its in miles and feet using Ordnance Survey software.
What software is this, BTW? Can't see anything like it on the OS website.

Its industry software i think, my brother in law did it for me at his work.

Sorry yes, its in miles and feet using Ordnance Survey software.
What software is this, BTW? Can't see anything like it on the OS website.

Its industry software i think, my brother in law did it for me at his work.

Ah, OK. Pity, I'd like something that does that from an online map (thinks: maybe MapMyRun already does.... goes to check it out).

EDIT: it does! And it does it to scale (well, a more sensible ratio, anyway).

My run to work:

3797602629_97d0cc4860.jpg

I heard today it can be a bad thing to run on treadmills, damages knees etc, any truth to this?
I've heard the opposite - people I know with knee problems use the treadmill rather than the roads until it's cleared up.

Personally I wouldn't touch a treadmill with a bargepole, I hate gyms with a passion.

Run off road.

Is supposed to damage your knees if you dont have it at an incline apparently- should be at 1.0 at the least incline on most treadmills takes shock away from your knees i was told when i changed gym.

Old wives tale. Read this for some informed discussion of treadmill vs road running:

http://mysite.verizon.net/jim2wr/id110.html

Yeah, I've been using it. It's good, but I'm not sure how completely accurate it is as it always seems to think I've done further than when I map it out on google maps or whatever.

Yeah, I've been using it. It's good, but I'm not sure how completely accurate it is as it always seems to think I've done further than when I map it out on google maps or whatever.
Google maps won't take gradient into account. A hill will look shorter on the map.

Was in Malta recently and used the hotel gym 3 times whilst there. I had intended to do 3 miles on the treadmill which is my normal distance every other day. After 1.5 miles I had to stop as it felt like my chest was going to explode. I found the cross trainer much easier on the lungs for some reason.

First visit to this thread - simply to report a fail. I had casually harboured intentions of doing a Cardiff half marathon run in Octo, and wondered how much training I need. Joined work colleagues for a 5 mile lunch run the other day, and I was in pieces after 2 :( Think I'll knock that plan on the head for a while then.

First visit to this thread - simply to report a fail. I had casually harboured intentions of doing a Cardiff half marathon run in Octo, and wondered how much training I need. Joined work colleagues for a 5 mile lunch run the other day, and I was in pieces after 2 :( Think I'll knock that plan on the head for a while then.
You've got two months yet!

All you've proved is that you can do two miles (you didn't mention pace), but no more, AT THE MOMENT. So do your two mile run three times this week, then increase one of them to three or four next week and see how it goes. You may be surprised how fast you improve.

Oh I know, my colleagues, are doing the 4 -5 miles, and myself and the other chap who struggled are just going to do the 2 miles until we reckon we can cope. Still, treadmills so tempting due to being much easier.

• 3 weeks later...
I run, weather permitting. I didn't stretch the other day and within one minute, pulled up lame. Bad calf cramp that is still sore.

ALWAYS STRETCH!

Be careful stretching un-warmed-up muscles. I always stretch after running, but never before. Your mileage may vary.

Did about 3.5 miles last night, which is the furthest I've ever ran.

Knee started aching afterwards and still hurts today.

Just a case of too much too soon? I normally run 1.5-2 miles.

Probably. The usual formula is not to increase mileage by more than 10% at a time. I wouldn't worry about it though, a day or two's rest will probably sort it out.

My ankle which I injured playing football a while ago has given me grief the last couple of runs, to the point where I've had to stop. I could really do without this with less than 6 weeks til the Half Marathon!

My ankle which I injured playing football a while ago has given me grief the last couple of runs, to the point where I've had to stop. I could really do without this with less than 6 weeks til the Half Marathon!
Don't panic. Rest it for a week (swim/cycle if you can), then see how it is.

You'll get round the half OK.

Â