Running

trimandson

21 hours ago, villan-scott said:

We saw her too so me and my 2 little lads gave her the UTV too 😆 we also saw a poor older lady collapse and nastily wound her head. Not good. 

My Mrs did well, was her second 10k and managed 1:02 which she was pleased with. She did one in Sutton Coldfield a few weeks back which was really hilly so googled the flattest 10k and Leicester was one of those! 

Yeah, really nice course. Despite living 20 minutes from Leicester I'd never been to Abbey Park before, and it was really lovely. My daughter did it in 59:58, and she was aiming for sub 1hr so got in by the very tiniest of margins. I wanted sub 55 mins and did in a couple of seconds under as well, so all good!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Risso said:

Yeah, really nice course. Despite living 20 minutes from Leicester I'd never been to Abbey Park before, and it was really lovely. My daughter did it in 59:58, and she was aiming for sub 1hr so got in by the very tiniest of margins. I wanted sub 55 mins and did in a couple of seconds under as well, so all good!

My wife will be targeting under an hour I think - she’s enjoyed getting into running. 

4 hours ago, CVByrne said:

The speed a person runs or jogs at is irrelevant. What is relevant is the heart rate being raised by the increased exertion. Everything flows from that. So never worry about it. 

Just keep the motivation to keep doing it. 

Speaking of which, are those heart rate watches any good for this?

8 hours ago, TreeVillan said:

Speaking of which, are those heart rate watches any good for this?

I use a chest strap with a watch, both Garmin. A watch is ok but sometimes it just goes wrong and gives HR that is clearly wrong. If you use the watch in combination with your percieved effort then it's good tool as they track everything for you and you know when the HR is wrong. If you want an accurate HR then get a chest strap (they are comfortable).

The key thing to remember is you should be doing 90% of all your exercise at an easy effort. Easy means you can speak a sentence or two and hold a conversation if required but people would know you're exercising. The more you can build up to doing weekly at Easy pace the better. I think jog walk jog walk is the way to start and record how long you have done and look to increase the amount every week. 

I'm going to say it again. EASY, if you are reaching an effort where you are struggling then you are going too fast. It's all about effort levels, as you get fitter you will just be moving faster for the same effort. The key is walking / jogging / running the effort nothing else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

I use a chest strap with a watch, both Garmin. A watch is ok but sometimes it just goes wrong and gives HR that is clearly wrong. If you use the watch in combination with your percieved effort then it's good tool as they track everything for you and you know when the HR is wrong. If you want an accurate HR then get a chest strap (they are comfortable).

The key thing to remember is you should be doing 90% of all your exercise at an easy effort. Easy means you can speak a sentence or two and hold a conversation if required but people would know you're exercising. The more you can build up to doing weekly at Easy pace the better. I think jog walk jog walk is the way to start and record how long you have done and look to increase the amount every week. 

I'm going to say it again. EASY, if you are reaching an effort where you are struggling then you are going too fast. It's all about effort levels, as you get fitter you will just be moving faster for the same effort. The key is walking / jogging / running the effort nothing else.

Thank you for the advice!

Apple Watches or Garmins are pretty decent in terms of heart rate monitoring to be honest, I'd certainly get one as they provide all sorts of good informatio on top of heart rate.. As CV says, just take it easy until you finish C25K. Once you can run 5K without stopping, you can then start trying to run longer distances AND doing interval work at a faster pace. Both of these will get your fitness up no end. Once you have got up to 5K, start looking at park runs, a nationwide (and indeed, worldwide) series of 5K runs on Saturday mornings at 9am. They're great fun, there are loads of them, and the people who do them are all moslty really nice. It's a fantastic community, it really is.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Risso said:

Apple Watches or Garmins are pretty decent in terms of heart rate monitoring to be honest, I'd certainly get one as they provide all sorts of good informatio on top of heart rate.. As CV says, just take it easy until you finish C25K. Once you can run 5K without stopping, you can then start trying to run longer distances AND doing interval work at a faster pace. Both of these will get your fitness up no end. Once you have got up to 5K, start looking at park runs, a nationwide (and indeed, worldwide) series of 5K runs on Saturday mornings at 9am. They're great fun, there are loads of them, and the people who do them are all moslty really nice. It's a fantastic community, it really is.

So I have chest strap for bike (bike computer) and have the inbuilt wrist one, for the most part its good although when Im err varying between weights it can be a bit random for a few weeks while I hit the next notch 🙂

Im having trouble this week in that mentally and physically Ive finally managed to get myself in a place to get super fit again and start eating to match, but this is not the week to start missing meals

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, andyjsg said:

Done!!

Good luck on Sunday, weather is looking okay for us.

Amazing thanks Andy!! Much appreciated. Yeah the forecast looks almost perfect! 🤞🤞I’m looking forward to it now. 

• Like 1

Did my first run 6 months after tearing my ankle ligaments. My ankle is still sore but I'm not sure if that's actual pain or the ligaments being weak or under stretched or shorter???

Running season over me now, no more racing until Autumn. Just finished 30km trail race in brutal humidity. I was trying to take it easy but still felt spent and was walking a lot of the last 5km. At least I finished because now the heavens have opened and they've stopped the race for the runners still out there. 

• Like 2

On 18/04/2024 at 10:54, Risso said:

I will die on this hill but Garmin heart rate monitors, GPS, watches - amazing. If you wanna train properly, get yourself a good heart rate monitor. 

Did my first 10k in two years a couple of weeks ago and struggled badly on my way to finishing it in 58 mins. Really need to step up. 

3 hours ago, El Zen said:

Did my first 10k in two years a couple of weeks ago and struggled badly on my way to finishing it in 58 mins. Really need to step up. 

Got it down to 55:30 today. Progress, at least. 

• Like 3

On 22/04/2024 at 18:28, Risso said:

Looking forward to hearing how our VT London marathoners got on.

Yeah okay, my expectations were quite low after the last few weeks, I managed to shuffle to a 3:22 but man where Im not running properly because Im carrying one injury just created problems elsewhere and I basically had 16 miles of pain in my left glute even though my injuries are in the other leg. 

Outside of this I had a great time high-fiving kids and getting involved with the crowd a few times. I have put a cool little video (the whole thing wouldnt upload) of running over tower bridge on my strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/11232066980

• Like 3

Â