Running

trimandson

On 09/03/2021 at 08:12, dubbs said:

Thanks for asking.   Into week 4 of the programme.   Could barely bend my left knee after yesterday's run but after ibruprofen and cold packs its better than it was.   Still convinced its a long term thing but want to get passed this discomfort and compete the programme.  

I'm new to the thread but I'm a pretty avid runner (I did 100km between road and trail last week) and I've dealt with some knee issues in my day. Can you tell me more about the kind of pain you're having and where it manifests itself? Is it on the outside of the knee or behind the kneecap? Does it hurt while you run, afterwards, or both? Are there any movements or activities that make it worse? Do you notice swelling with the pain?

Oh also, what kind of trainers are you wearing, do you wear them for other activities or just running, and when you run, where do you land on your foot? In the interest of full disclosure, I am not a therapist or doctor.

Edited by JamieZ

On 26/03/2021 at 03:25, El Zen said:

I’ve ordered a pair of sunglasses for running. I’m officially one of them. 

image.jpeg

GoodR Sunglasses Running Going to Valhalla ... Witness! Default:  Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

I got these because I'm not fast enough to wear the wraparounds. They're cheap, designed specifically for running, and they're very good at not bouncing around when you do—but I have an issue where I sweat profusely, so any day that's going to be bright enough to require sunglasses is going to unleash a waterfall of sweat down my forehead, which means I end up spending most of my time moving my glasses out of the way so I can wipe my eyes or the sweat off the lenses. I don't think I've completed a run in them. Maybe the next step is to go all out on a sweatband and just own the look.

2 hours ago, JamieZ said:

I'm new to the thread but I'm a pretty avid runner (I did 100km between road and trail last week) and I've dealt with some knee issues in my day. Can you tell me more about the kind of pain you're having and where it manifests itself? Is it on the outside of the knee or behind the kneecap? Does it hurt while you run, afterwards, or both? Are there any movements or activities that make it worse? Do you notice swelling with the pain?

Oh also, what kind of trainers are you wearing, do you wear them for other activities or just running, and when you run, where do you land on your foot? In the interest of full disclosure, I am not a therapist or doctor.

Hey buddy.  Welcome to the thread! 100km in a week? Fair play 👏

The pain tends to be on the inside of my knee, behind the kneecap. Sometimes it'll hurt just walking,  other times after a run. Haven't noticed swelling but I do use ice packs after a run.  The trainers I run in are ones I've brought specifically for the job,  not expensive but they have additional cushioning than the ones I use day to day. It's only started since doing the 5k programme.  I believe I land in the middle of my foot but I've not asked anyone to record it so I could check. 

Any advice,  gratefully received!

Edited by dubbs

9 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

If you have a snow and rock near you they have a treadmill where they film you running , they will record you and  pinpoint your running style and offer somer advice.

for people with knee problems they might suggest Hoka Clifton trainers. I’d never heard of them but tried them in the shop and they are simple the best running trainers I’ve ever owned ,before I switched to these I would get a knee discomfort and quite often pull up with a sharp pain , since having these I’ve not had that problem at all .

That said my brother tried them one time and didn’t get on with them so it could very much come down to personal preference , hence why a shop that offers a treadmill try out is worth a visit 

BBFB185A-676D-4ADC-852F-926E317998BD.jpeg

Hoka are fantastic. My current runners are their One One carbon plate trainers, and they're superb. Like running on springy clouds.

After some running advice please or maybe just some reassurance. 

I ruptured my achillies Jan 2020 and since then have not gone faster than a brisk walk. I was never really a runner, just played 7 a side once a week and the odd round of golf but would really like to start. 

I was unable to have physio due to covid and I'm pretty terrified of it rupturing again as soon I break into a run. Has anyone had a similar injury and how did they start again? Or does anyone have any advice how to start slowly or do I need to just jog and brave it. 

5 hours ago, dubbs said:

Hey buddy.  Welcome to the thread! 100km in a week? Fair play 👏

The pain tends to be on the inside of my knee, behind the kneecap. Sometimes it'll hurt just walking,  other times after a run. Haven't noticed swelling but I do use ice packs after a run.  The trainers I run in are ones I've brought specifically for the job,  not expensive but they have additional cushioning than the ones I use day to day. It's only started since doing the 5k programme.  I believe I land in the middle of my foot but I've not asked anyone to record it so I could check. 

Any advice,  gratefully received!

Okay, so (again, I'm not a doctor) it sounds like more of an "overuse" injury than a structural imbalance or something like that. I've struggled with IT Band Syndrome because my glutes are weak relative to the muscles in my legs—so that comes from an imbalance, and it sorts itself out once I build up the muscles in the weaker area. My ITBS would cause my knee to swell and lock up on me, sometimes ten or twelve miles into a run. Tightness, but no pain...at least until it locked up.

Your pain sounds like more of a patellofemoral issue, which is a common overuse injury, despite the fact that you seem to be doing a good job of easing into things. Does the pain increase when you squat or go up stairs?

I asked about foot strike as well as some runners tend to heel strike, which, if you can envision it, sends the impact from landing (which you do thousands of times in a run) right into your bones and joints instead of letting your soft tissue absorb some of the shock. As for trainers, there's no way to give advice without potentially sending you the wrong way. You'll know what works for you when you find it—and then they'll discontinue it the very next year. I tend to be able to get away with any neutral trainer that doesn't cause blistering or hot spots, but not all runners are like that. My only suggestion is that you use your yours for running only and keep track of the miles you put on them (which is easy with a running app like Strava). There's no magic number for replacing your shoes either, but most people will notice a significant drop off in the 300-500 mile range. I tend to get closer to 500 as I'm relatively slight at 155lbs/70kg.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

After some running advice please or maybe just some reassurance. 

I ruptured my achillies Jan 2020 and since then have not gone faster than a brisk walk. I was never really a runner, just played 7 a side once a week and the odd round of golf but would really like to start. 

I was unable to have physio due to covid and I'm pretty terrified of it rupturing again as soon I break into a run. Has anyone had a similar injury and how did they start again? Or does anyone have any advice how to start slowly or do I need to just jog and brave it. 

Yikes! I cringe not just at the thought of the initial injury but the thought of you "braving it". You brave the last mile of a marathon after having already run 25—that is, if you've run 25, you can run one more. Suck it up. You don't brave recovery from a gnarly injury. One's psychological, the other's structural, ya feel?

I feel like the name of the game for you should be easing into dynamic motion, flexibility, and massage. Again, I want to stress that I'm not a physio, but instead of limp -> walk -> run, I feel like the progression should be something more like limp -> walk -> exercise bike to get that sucker flexing and moving again -> easy jogs -> run, with internal assessments every step along the way.

Also, make the foam roller your new best friend. If you're in D.C., they're $10 at Marshall's.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, JamieZ said:

Okay, so (again, I'm not a doctor) it sounds like more of an "overuse" injury than a structural imbalance or something like that. I've struggled with IT Band Syndrome because my glutes are weak relative to the muscles in my legs—so that comes from an imbalance, and it sorts itself out once I build up the muscles in the weaker area. My ITBS would cause my knee to swell and lock up on me, sometimes ten or twelve miles into a run. Tightness, but no pain...at least until it locked up.

Your pain sounds like more of a patellofemoral issue, which is a common overuse injury, despite the fact that you seem to be doing a good job of easing into things. Does the pain increase when you squat or go up stairs?

I asked about foot strike as well as some runners tend to heel strike, which, if you can envision it, sends the impact from landing (which you do thousands of times in a run) right into your bones and joints instead of letting your soft tissue absorb some of the shock. As for trainers, there's no way to give advice without potentially sending you the wrong way. You'll know what works for you when you find it—and then they'll discontinue it the very next year. I tend to be able to get away with any neutral trainer that doesn't cause blistering or hot spots, but not all runners are like that. My only suggestion is that you use your yours for running only and keep track of the miles you put on them (which is easy with a running app like Strava). There's no magic number for replacing your shoes either, but most people will notice a significant drop off in the 300-500 mile range. I tend to get closer to 500 as I'm relatively slight at 155lbs/70kg.

The day after a run it can be uncomfortable going up and down stairs and using ice packs, ibruprofen etc helps a lot.

I've put the details of my trainers into my garmin app which measures the distance I've run in them.   I'm heavier than you at about 180 lbs so I'd look at changing them after 300 miles or so. 

1 minute ago, dubbs said:

The day after a run it can be uncomfortable going up and down stairs and using ice packs, ibruprofen etc helps a lot.

I've put the details of my trainers into my garmin app which measures the distance I've run in them.   I'm heavier than you at about 180 lbs so I'd look at changing them after 300 miles or so. 

Yeah. I think at this point my completely unsatisfying advice is "Keep doing what you're doing and keep an eye on it."

I've also had really good luck with kinesiology tape (you can look up taping methods by body part online and troubleshoot from there). I've received conflicting advice from physios regarding its efficacy, but I know I feel more solid when I'm taped up and that's gotten me through some rough spots.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, JamieZ said:

Maybe the next step is to go all out on a sweatband and just own the look.

Quite. I’ve broken a few barriers on that front recently. The sunglasses, tights, bright pink shoes. I’ve become the running equivalent of a FKW.

• Haha 3

34 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Quite. I’ve broken a few barriers on that front recently. The sunglasses, tights, bright pink shoes. I’ve become the running equivalent of a FKW.

Don't forget the socks!

30 minutes ago, El Zen said:

I would barely get the mail in ‘normal’ socks, let alone go for a run. 

I used to run in Villa shorts until the practicality of dedicated running shorts won out.

1 minute ago, JamieZ said:

I used to run in Villa shorts until the practicality of dedicated running shorts won out.

Running in football shorts is just totally unacceptable. I am glad you have seen the sinful nature of your former lifestyle. 

3 hours ago, JamieZ said:

Also, if any of y'all runners are on Strava, feel free to add me. I'm not a super competitive runner or anything, but it's nice to see other people's progress and offer encouragement.

I've only just started using Strava so I've added you bud. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JamieZ said:

GoodR Sunglasses Running Going to Valhalla ... Witness! Default:  Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

I got these because I'm not fast enough to wear the wraparounds. They're cheap, designed specifically for running, and they're very good at not bouncing around when you do—but I have an issue where I sweat profusely, so any day that's going to be bright enough to require sunglasses is going to unleash a waterfall of sweat down my forehead, which means I end up spending most of my time moving my glasses out of the way so I can wipe my eyes or the sweat off the lenses. I don't think I've completed a run in them. Maybe the next step is to go all out on a sweatband and just own the look.

I succumbed to sweatbands last summer and despite looking like a CITW (also have the wraparound glasses!) I have to say they’re a game changer. Wouldn’t go back to running without one now!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

If you have a snow and rock near you they have a treadmill where they film you running , they will record you and  pinpoint your running style and offer somer advice.

for people with knee problems they might suggest Hoka Clifton trainers. I’d never heard of them but tried them in the shop and they are simple the best running trainers I’ve ever owned ,before I switched to these I would get a knee discomfort and quite often pull up with a sharp pain , since having these I’ve not had that problem at all .

That said my brother tried them one time and didn’t get on with them so it could very much come down to personal preference , hence why a shop that offers a treadmill try out is worth a visit 

Absolutely this. For me, with a long history of knee problems, Hokas are awful. Genuinely the worst trainers I’ve ever bought. They felt wobbly and slow, and I felt knee pain for the first time in years. Most people, on the other hand, think they’re ace. The key? The Hokas are the only ones I’ve bought last five years in a store that didn’t have a mill and a camera. What I’ve learnt is that for me, stability is much more important than cushioning, and I need relatively flat trainers. Like my current ones: 

image.thumb.jpeg.c070feb7566a02246e99e57e3a878358.jpeg

2 hours ago, chappy said:

I succumbed to sweatbands last summer and despite looking like a CITW (also have the wraparound glasses!) I have to say they’re a game changer. Wouldn’t go back to running without one now!

As soon as I add the sweatband, I'm essentially this guy:

Alright, I'll do it.

• Haha 3

Well that run tonight felt horrible.  Knees ached whilst walking to warm up.  Before I started I felt pretty confident that this would be easier than my last run which was 20 mins running with no breaks.  This was 5, 8 and 5 min runs with 3 mins between them.  By the middle of the second section I was shattered.   I kept going which I'm glad about but can't figure out why this time was so much harder.  I'll check my pace records just in case I pushed too fast today.   Its a good job I enjoy getting out!  Need to try and work out a new route too.

Â