Five years ago - What were you doing?

paddy

Has your life changed for better or worse in the last 5 years?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Has your life changed for better or worse in the last 5 years?

• It's about the same
    • Better
    • Worse

What were you doing five years ago and what's changed since then?

I was 17, had just started upper sixth at school and had applied for my places at uni I think, or maybe not quite.

Since then my life has changed so much. I live in a different city for most of the year (I'd lived in the same house all my life up until the age of 17), I have a totally different group of friends (though I still see the others when I'm home), I've lived in New Zealand for the best part of a year, I've had a brain tumour. Villa have changed beyond recognition. I'm no longer in the band I was in back then. I certainly don't drink so much. I am just starting to play competitive sport again but I would never have thought I'd have played so little in the last 5 years if you'd asked me 5 years ago. Thought I did play my only full season of football which was good fun.

I've kayaked and mountaineered for the first time. Walked on a glacier. Done a bungy jump. Passed my driving test. Driven bus loads of kids around. Been to Africa and the Pacific Islands for the first time. Had my licence taken off me for medical reasons...

Wow, five years is a long time, I didn't expect to have changed that much when I started thinking of what to put in. 2003 doesn't seem that long ago. So what's changed in your life since this time five years ago? And has it changed for better or worse?

Mine's a close call but even with the whole cancer thing, I'd still say it's changed for the better. If that factor wasn't there there'd be no doubt in my mind (and no tumour for that matter).

5 years ago was the beginning of a family crisis in my life. I won't say things are resolved now, but things are getting better everyday. Its hard to say. I have a happier life, but I regret that my family is not as strong as it once was and that it doesn't have much of a role to play in my life.

I'd say things are worse now. But that's only because 5 years ago I was 16 and I didn't really have anything to worry about, nothing seemed 'important', now I'm fretting about my future, finances, etc. Growing up is shit.

Yes at 21, my how the world is tumbling in on top of us...

:?

5 years ago my Dad was alive and relatively healthy, 5 years ago my missus didn't have cancer

Right now it feels like I'm worse off, though there have been many other positives too, when the missus recovers things will be better than they were five months ago let alone five years ago

ill say better , I`ve a son a wife and another child on the way a much better job and in the process of building my own house, the one thing that is worse (and its probably the worst thing that has happened to me} i lost mt best mate in an accident 13months ago and am still coming to terms with it but the good out weighs the bad

5 years ago I was working as a Graphic Designer for a film company here in NY, doing posters, flyers and websites. It was a step down from the job I left behind in Ireland and I was getting paid peanuts. Since then I have done a bit of time as a consultant been on a rollercoaster with a start-up company that became huge before collapsing to where I am now, comfortable management job. For me and the missus our income has trippled in the last 5 years and we now live in an apartment twice the size of our old one standard of living is way up from the days where it was a struggle to afford lunch and we'd have to think twice about running the air conditioner. Still I do truly regret having achieved sweet **** all in the last 5 years.

I'd say things are worse now. But that's only because 5 years ago I was 16 and I didn't really have anything to worry about, nothing seemed 'important', now I'm fretting about my future, finances, etc. Growing up is shit.

Yes at 21, my how the world is tumbling in on top of us...

:?

Well, in my experience beign 16 and not having to worry about anything and just enjoying life is what I would call a very nice luxury to have. Now trying to seek work, build a life of my own in todays World is not exactly enjoyable. Plus the fact you don't know a thing about me.. what a stupid comment to make.

5 years ago I was a month away from my 18th Birthday, had applied for uni, and was your average 6th form student (well slightly above average I like to think)

5 years on I have a degree, I'm an accountant (in training) so I'm doing ok money wise in a difficult time, and I have a rather optimistic future. O and Villa are much better now than 5 years ago!

The only problem I have is the few extra pounds of weight I brought with me (although I'm working hard to get rid of those!) and i wasn't single back then! (although that has its advantages)

Better here as well. I was pretty good when I was fifteen but I've had a ridiculous amount of fun in between then and now, and it shows no sign of stopping either. I do have more to worry about now, or at least I worry more anyway, but I have an unbelievable life and I'm so grateful for it.

had just come back from living in Hungary i think ..i'm crap at dates

didn't have 2 kids then , both of them currently infecting me with every disease known to school kind .. still waiting for chicken pox as I've never had it before ..wouldn't swap them for anything ..well maybe swap the boy who drives me mad with his non stop "what's this " , "what's that" "why" ...

didn't have this belly that seems to be getting bigger by the day since i had to pack up the running , squash , tennis , athletics ,football etc ... knees are shot :-( ..had an op on both of them in the past 18 months or so been told i have the knees of an 85 year old man so I'm guessing that's not good .. tried to carry on with the football but finally called it a day end of last season ... i started to turn like the titanic and for someone who prided themselves on their fitness i got out before I became a liability to the team ..... currently thinking about going to see a certain Dr Stedman in the USA to see if he can help ....

I read about things that people on here have battled with and think I've had it easy at times ....if people can beat cancer then i shouldn't really feel bad about loosing my fitness ..the 2 don't compare

here's to the next 5 years , look forward to seeing how we've all got on ...

Â