Five years ago - What were you doing?

paddy

Has your life changed for better or worse in the last 5 years?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Has your life changed for better or worse in the last 5 years?

• It's about the same
    • Better
    • Worse

Re. Paddy ( sorry I can't seem to quote on my handheld)

Shit, I did the franz Jeffers too, had no idea people had died there... We all grabbed pickaxes and imitated falling a la vertical limit (dunno if you've seen the film but a guy falls off k2 and hangs on by his pickaxe)

Anyway I digress I was at Uni 5 years ago, at this moment I think I'm much happier then I ever was, btw paddy you're a bit of an inspiration the way you've dealt with the shit that's been thrown at you and I wish you all the best.

Btw I also did the skydive over fj, the best experience ever!

5 years ago I was in working for the NHS, living with the parents and single......

Now i'm still in the same job, albeit on much better money, have myself a son, got engaged and bought my own house.

In that time i've also been diagnosed with Chron's disease, but thats no biggie, doesn't really affect me. I realise how much other people go through and appreciate everything I now have.:D

5 years ago I was 12 and leading a very narrow existence of what was next for lunch and generally not understanding life beyond the next week.

Now I'm staring down the gun barrel of life, and I am scared shitless of where I'm going. I'm relishing it but at the same time am scared of the uncertainty, i.e. of university and leaving home.

My mind has also grasped the wider context of things, and perhaps it has led to my head becoming a bit messed up. My eyes have been opened but it has also caused my brain to become confused and at the moment things are a bit tough. But I'm sure this will eventually make me a stronger person.

5 years on will be very interesting.

*excuse my lack of coherency

5 years ago I was 12 and leading a very narrow existence of what was next for lunch and generally not understanding life beyond the next week.

Now I'm staring down the gun barrel of life, and I am scared shitless of where I'm going. I'm relishing it but at the same time am scared of the uncertainty, i.e. of university and leaving home.

My mind has also grasped the wider context of things, and perhaps it has led to my head becoming a bit messed up. My eyes have been opened but it has also caused my brain to become confused and at the moment things are a bit tough. But I'm sure this will eventually make me a stronger person.

Welcome to what most of us went through :thumb: It happens and you do get through it and you're usually fine at the other end. Oh and you're right you will be a stronger person at the other end :) I'd still rather be a kid though :nod:

This is exactly how you should be, don't mix confusion with a period of open mindness, embrace the new and different and in 5 years time you'll be a better happier person

Welcome to what most of us went through Agree It happens and you do get through it and you're usually fine at the other end. Oh and you're right you will be a stronger person at the other end Smile

Is it normal to have really variable emotions? My mind just jumps all over the place, it can seem really bleak sometimes but then it can be fine. It seems to go in phases. Is that normal? :) Family help immensely.

It will be fine, but at times it can be really tough. And they say being a kid is easy. **** hormones.

I was 19 had a gf, was a bit of an arse, was working at my dads company getting about 10k a year lol with no good GCSE's, 2 f's in science lol an the only good one was a c in IT so couldnt get a good job, an was looking at getting a mortgage! Basically a nobody and not many friends due to gf, had a bit of a belly coming, an thought i was happy lol.

Im now in my second year at uni doing a Biomedical science degree (pharmacology/physiology), went travelling to Indonesia (Jakarta, Bali etc) went white water rafting out there :) iv been abseiling down the uni building with my mates, have a gf that iv been with for 1 year, things are great, living in a student house, have many mates now and having an amazing time, found out my cousin got skin cancer, and realised you have got to make the most out of life. The best thing i ever did is go from being a chavvy nobody to a SOMEBODY at University. Life is what you make of it.

Things are definitely better for me. I had just started working for a friend's startup company as a sales and Marketing manager for a company with a completely unsellable product

You weren't in charge of ticket sales at the sty were you?

Only 12? Assuming you weren't in a monogomous relationship, that shows a lack of commitment to the cause. An awful lot of angry and disappointed women out there, it's your fault and I have to go round sorting them out.

Re. Paddy ( sorry I can't seem to quote on my handheld)

Shit, I did the franz Jeffers too, had no idea people had died there... We all grabbed pickaxes and imitated falling a la vertical limit (dunno if you've seen the film but a guy falls off k2 and hangs on by his pickaxe)

Anyway I digress I was at Uni 5 years ago, at this moment I think I'm much happier then I ever was, btw paddy you're a bit of an inspiration the way you've dealt with the shit that's been thrown at you and I wish you all the best.

Btw I also did the skydive over fj, the best experience ever!

That must have been amazing. But I'd spent so much by the time I got there I just couldn't justify it. I went to Taupo twice and tried to sky dive on both occasions but both times it was too cloudy.

Don't think I could do it now. A weird side effect of the steroids is vertigo so now I'm shit scared of heights where I never had a problem before at all (hence the bungy jump).

edit: Oh and thanks!

5 Years ago

- I had just started Uni at Lufbra, freshers year was great and I did no work. I also learnt a hell of alot and grew up alot in those three years.

- I had no income and had just finished working in GAME (best job ever) so was totally reliant on my student overdraft which went soon after.

- Life at home was decent not great but decent

- Villa were average to shit

- I had a really good group of mates at home

- I was playing cricket at a good level and hoping to make my mark at Uni.

5 Years on

- I graduated with a top degree and 3 great years

- I still play cricket at a decent level - never made my mark though

- I have a really good job with really good prospects and a top salary for my age

- I dont see my mates at home as much as 5 years ago

- I live back at home after living in Notts for 2 years (which was awesome) and may soon be moving to London

The good things are the money, maturity, development of my character. I also have my health and fitness (just) and also still a great family and lots of little cousins. The bad things are just that life was simpler back then I had no worries about bills or supporting my family, no worries about hitting targets, worries about finding the 'one'. But that I suppose comes naturally, the most important thing is that just before uni i became much closer to my faith then I drifted in the past 4-5 years but now am really close to it and I feel so much happier for it and at the end of the day my life is much better and I feel blessed to have such a life.

Only 12? Assuming you weren't in a monogomous relationship, that shows a lack of commitment to the cause. An awful lot of angry and disappointed women out there, it's your fault and I have to go round sorting them out.

4/5 i was in relationships. filthy whores. all of them

Much the same on the whole - still at same job, still in same house, however, five years ago, my house was a terrible tip, now it's all done up and nice (well I like it), five years ago though I went on regular holidays abroad, now haven't left England's shores for five years (except to Isle of Man) . However, I owe a far bigger mortgage now (owing to doing the house up) and I am still waiting for someone to love - and getting too old to wait much longer I guess! So, all in all, much the same for me. I guess I'm a little less healthy than five years ago too - probably due to getting older! However, when I read of some of things that people have been through, I am grateful for what I have .

Â