Five years ago - What were you doing?

paddy

Has your life changed for better or worse in the last 5 years?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Has your life changed for better or worse in the last 5 years?

• It's about the same
    • Better
    • Worse

still waiting for chicken pox as I've never had it before

Seriously you don't want it, it happened to me when I was in my early 30's, most disgusting illness ever, waking up every day in a bed full of scabs

Its far harder to recover from in adulthood too

I'd say things are worse now. But that's only because 5 years ago I was 16 and I didn't really have anything to worry about, nothing seemed 'important', now I'm fretting about my future, finances, etc. Growing up is shit.

Yes at 21, my how the world is tumbling in on top of us...

:?

Well, in my experience beign 16 and not having to worry about anything and just enjoying life is what I would call a very nice luxury to have. Now trying to seek work, build a life of my own in todays World is not exactly enjoyable. Plus the fact you don't know a thing about me.. what a stupid comment to make.

Whatever man.

'Today's world' is really tough (in comparison to?). I just think fretting is an avenue of pleasure I'm looking to reserve for later in my life. Best of luck with it though :thumb:

ts far harder to recover from in adulthood too

yeah .. so i hear .. i'm bound to scratch them as well as i'm a real scratcher ... 4 years now i've sort of been expecting it ...kids haven't had it yet either but they really ought to get it out the way

I'd say things are worse now. But that's only because 5 years ago I was 16 and I didn't really have anything to worry about, nothing seemed 'important', now I'm fretting about my future, finances, etc. Growing up is shit.

Yes at 21, my how the world is tumbling in on top of us...

:?

Well, in my experience beign 16 and not having to worry about anything and just enjoying life is what I would call a very nice luxury to have. Now trying to seek work, build a life of my own in todays World is not exactly enjoyable. Plus the fact you don't know a thing about me.. what a stupid comment to make.

Whatever man.

'Today's world' is really tough (in comparison to?). I just think fretting is an avenue of pleasure I'm looking to reserve for later in my life. Best of luck with it though :thumb:

Really tough to get employed? And this isn't just a stab in the dark, it's based on the experience that myself and many of my friends have found it incredibly difficult to get a job. But hey, apparently me enjoying life more 5 years ago than now is unacceptable, so a million apologies for giving an incorrect answer to this opinion based question, and not feeling the same way you do about life. Best of luck with trying to change peoples opinions though, I hear it can be pretty tough. :thumb:

Five years ago I was 16 and in my first year of high school (or the Norwegian equivalent thereof), and didn't have too much to worry about at all. My knees were fine, so I was still pretty good at football and my days were focused primarily on school and training. Things were safe and predictable.

Now, at 21, I'm in my second year of Uni and three exams waiting in just a couple of weeks. I've moved to the city, have to pay for stuff myself (with a little help from the Govt' mind) and my parents are separated. My knees are f@cked, so I can't play football anymore. I don't really know what I want to do with my life, and occasionally feel a bit lost.

You'd think that maybe my answer would be 'worse', but it's not. I've become an independent young adult, I coach youth football, I've had some really educating experiences and discovered the beauty of music, films and red wine. I've had sex (more than once, even!), I've travelled, I've met new people. I'm still very close with my family and see them regularily. Sure, life is far more complicated and I have more responsability than what I'd call comfortable, but my life is so much richer than it was five years ago.

According to Gmail

November 25th 2005: I was handing in a legal, system and method assignment late, but with a shoddy false excuse that the tutor jumped on in class.

November 25th 2006: I did not win an MP4 player on Ebay. I also sent a binge of bebo comments to my friends, even those I hadn't spoken to in a long time.

November 25th 2007: I got 5 emails from my dad telling me about his play (which I starred in last month), what MON thought of the Boro match, the draw for the World Cup Qualifiers and what he thought of my forthcoming weelend trip down the coast of Ghana

5 years ago i had just moved in with my girlfriend and had gone through the toughest time in my life buying my first house and hardly being able to feed myself i was that skint. I didn't have a pot to piss in and my friends were the only thing that kept me going. I was packing boxes in a warehouse for a living and hated the job.

Moving in with my girlfriend not only gave me a chance to rent my house out but actually have some money in my pocket for a change, she was an accountant and gave me some self belief in myself and taught me that the best investment was in myself. I started to study out of work as was mocked for it big time. I got my qualifications and am now a health and safety manager, i have letters after my name, a nice car and have savings.

5 years ago i had only ever left the uk once and now i have travelled around the world.

I split up with the girl about a year ago and its been a tough year but things are good now and me and the ex are good friends and while writing this and thanks to this thread i have just rang her up and thanked her.

Am i better off than i was 5 years ago? Dam right i am! and i'm making the most of it because life throws crap at you from time to time.

My belly is bigger than 5 years ago and the reason like Tony my knees are screwed from running, so apart from losing that girl the only thing i am worse off for 5 years on is something i have gained and thats about 4 stone :winkold:

To the young ones moaning on here, you are going to go through tough shit in your life but the life experience you are going to gain is going to be more valuable to you than you think later in life.

Absolutely better; mainly because I hadn't yet met my wife 5 years ago. Also was making considerably less money at the time (although I was perfectly comfortable), and my job at the time was (mostly) boring and unchallenging. Also I was still drinking waaay too heavily and smoking half a pack a day. Now I drink less than half as much and have quit smoking (OK, I still sneak one every once in a while but still).

Preparing to leave the UK... going to my last Villa game as a person who lives in the UK... getting very excited, lots of farewell parties. Left my job and chilled for a while before leaving.. Since, now a permanent fixture in NZ, bought a boat, house by the beach, have a small child, an excellent job and career prospects... have my ups and downs like the disillusioned thread, but on the whole my life is heaps better!!

5 years ago I had just become a father for the first time and had never had to work away from home. A problem was probably along the lines of my sunday league team getting beaten.

Now I have 2 kids, 3 times the wage, but am working away from home (something I aim to remedy very soon).

Life is very good in many ways, and I have a lot to be thankful for, but my family are the most important thing to me and I don't get to see them often enough. On refelction I voted that things are roughly the same, but I'm hoping the next 5 years will be better for us.

I'm glad the majority seem to think they are better than 5 years ago. I think Villa play a large part in it for many!

5 years ago - 26 November 2003. Well, I can't remember exactly, but was in a comfortable job, marriage was good and was 32 years old, enjoying nice holidays.

Now, working for another company, albeit with better prospects. Have a beautiful daughter age 4 and thankfully still all my family around me. So, far better off I believe.

On the minus, the old man is have a 'disagreement' with cancer at the moment, but he is a man of principle, so I'm sure he will turn the cancer round to his way of thinking.

What an excellent question Paddy, i love reading the responses.

I said my life has probably gotten better.

5 years ago I was discharged (on my own accord and desire) from the United States Air Force. I had a job lined up in the USAF to be a linguist and would have probably learned Arabic or Korean. How my life would be different now. Since then I have seen my step dad (and best friend) die of cancer, learned that I still speak Spanish, and become in debt $22,000 to student loans and not graduated yet (still dropped out). I've learned that with my language skills I can get paid better then many of my friends with degrees. I've seen the Villa go from nearly nothing (table wise) to something very special. I've been to 9 countries in the last 5 years.

But most importantly I've realized that money is only as important as you make it out to be and that the people we meet, the places we go, the cultures we see, the lives we touch and the family and friends we have with us now are the most important things in my life. Wish I woulda known that 5 years ago.

Excellent thread Paddy. It gets me nostalgic but kinda depressed. My father says I'm hard on myself, glad he's not here right now cause I'm wondering what my life coulda been had I had not made some stupid decisions. Looking forward and not looking back is alot harder then it sounds.

Bickster I hope the best for you and your missus.... and Paddy, not sure exactly what I'm trying to say to you here but (and I'm trying to think of the school article you wrote, and the one thing you said you hated hearing about the cancer) I think that the strength you showed to get through your brain tumor(s) is just brilliant. Glad to hear you are happy and active. Care to lend me some of your motivation and ambition?

Â