Would you fight for your country?

ender4

Would you fight for your country?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Would you fight for your country?

• No way!
    • Yes, i will fight!
    • Maybe, i'm not sure

By Hitler figure do you mean , rounding people up and killing them in camps or just a general taking back land that was rightfully theirs or fighting to destroy communism , sort of Hitler figure ?

I guess that was tongue in cheek but last time I knew Poland and Austria were never Germany's even then

depends Moz, if I got conscripted (not likely at 36 !!) for WWII then would go but say for Afghanistan, Falklands or any others, would rather go to prison

Moral principles also have to count

I don't quite understand where your 'moral principles' are coming from Ian.

The Falkland Islands are sovereign British territory populated by British subjects who had an express desire to remain as such. They were invaded by an uninvited aggressor.

Afghanistan I can understand, although I would venture that in WW2 we went off to fight because of Poland, so maybe there's not too much difference.

Personally I would fight for my country unconditionally.

better choice is

YES I would have signed up for WWII

NO for any subsquent engagement

I think that's me. I just voted for the "maybe" option before I'd fully read the initial post.

In a WWII-type scenario I would have volunteered. For the likes of Vietnam/Iraq/Afghanistan, no.

Paradoxically (perhaps, or perhaps not) I am very interested in military history, but I was aghast when two of my best mates at school joined the army. The whole military discipline of unquestioning obedience of orders I can see is necessary for a well functioning force, but would never suit my personality - I tend to question everything and I don't respond well to being TOLD what to do.

But it's irrelevant now, I'm too old!

Moral principles also have to count

Fair enough, out of interest - in this context - what are yours?

Edit: Apologies for pretty much repeating TT's point above.

simpel the falklands is a bunch of rocks where it could be argued we could have solved the problems politically but a certain PM wanted a war to help flagging poll ratings. Now others will disagree but it is my view.

WWII was clear and simple danger to the whole world and by a tyrant willing to kill millions a war was always going to happen

See I mentioned Afganistan but I can see the justification there so maybe that one but certainly not Iraq

I would have if conscripted gone to the Balkans for example

but a certain PM wanted a war to help flagging poll ratings .Now others will disagree but it is my view

indeed it is and one that is factually incorrect , but your entitled to have an opinion ... An honest question what is you view on Blair going into Iraq , in the bid to make that conflict his falklands .. or is that something different in your opinion ?

next your be saying it was all about the oil .....

we could have solved the problems politically

once invaded by an aggressor I don't see how you can politically have achieved anything personally ...

simpel the falklands is a bunch of rocks where it could be argued we could have solved the problems politically but a certain PM wanted a war to help flagging poll ratings. Now others will disagree but it is my view.

I doubt that a certain PM 'wanted a war' but concede that it certainly helped her politically, as major events in history have helped others.

If you can try to strip your political grievances out of it the 'bunch of rocks' is populated by human beings, who have a right to protection from aggressors as you and I do. Given that you would have 'politically' solved the problem I assume you see them as expendable? A strange thing for 'moral principles' to be founded upon in my opinion.

I doubt that a certain PM 'wanted a war' but concede that it certainly helped her politically, as major events in history have helped others.

If you can try to strip your political grievances out of it the 'bunch of rocks' is populated by human beings, who have a right to protection from aggressors as you and I do. Given that you would have 'politically' solved the problem I assume you see them as expendable? A strange thing for 'moral principles' to be founded upon in my opinion.

Here we go, I'm suprised it took till the 3rd page to become a political thread.

Any chance we can have a politics sub forum of off-topic?

Completelty OT, but your view is wrong. The Falklands may have been a 'bunch of rocks' but they happened to be our bunch of rocks, that just so happened to have a fair few British citizens on them, who had determined themselves as British, and it also had a shedload of oil off it's shores that we knew we might be able to get at in the future. There were a perfectly legitimate set of reasons for us to go to war over them, why it would have been wrong of us not to go to war over them.

And I'm unsure of any political wrangling we could have done over it, we were dealing with a desperate regime on it's last legs who actually did want a war/victory to get people back on side.

On topic, well... I'm certainly not one for the army, but I'm unsure what I would do in this very unlikely scenario. I'd do something, but I can't see myself with a rifle. I'd be dead before I could use it.

Â