Would you fight for your country?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Would you fight for your country?

• No way!
    • Yes, i will fight!
    • Maybe, i'm not sure

no I did not TT thats the twist !!!

I said the war was not morally justifable, you have twisted it

My apologies then for misinterpreting it.

I don't 'twist' as I don't feel the need to do so.

I shall refrain from posting in this thread any further.

EDIT: even if it means giving Ian the last word :winkold:

no AWOL you do, war war war never solves anything hasn't Afghanistan taught you that ?

sometimes you need it

sometimes you need war and talk

and sometimes just talk

woudl you have said back in the 80;s we should have gone a 'war' against the IRA

because 15 years later we had peace by talking

no AWOL you do, war war war never solves anything hasn't Afghanistan taught you that ?

Hang on, your a supporter of Afghan intervention allegedly? Back tracking now?

woudl you have said back in the 80;s we should have gone a 'war' against the IRA

because 15 years later we had peace by talking

We creamed the IRA, they came to the table because they had lost.

I backed the invasion it had to be done but not the subsquent way we handled it

the IRA did not lose or have you lost who is the main nationalist party and has a deputy PM ?

and when the demographics cathc up will be the majority party

no one has won or lost, a draw brought about by talking

Yes, but I would probably be a bit shit with the killing part though. I suspect I will have the dying part down to tee. After hearing about my grandfathers experiences on the Eastern Front during WWII, I seriously hope we never have to see a global conflict like that again.

Just so I'm clear on this, you think it's morally justifiable to sit back and not take action when a countries territory and it's citizens are subject to occupation by a foreign military force?

sh why aren't we fighting the Americans in Iraq ?

do you believe all problems can be sorted by force ?

Because Iraq isn't our territory, if it was, we would be.

Do you believe all problems can be sorted by discussion?

some can and have been

Northern Ireland being the obvious example

Some can yes, all can't.

When one of your territories is invaded by a military government it's one of the times they can't. It's then your duty to send troops to defend your citizens against the attacking military force. Turning round to the argies and going "you don't wanna do that, come have a cup of tea and lets talk about it" would have got us nowhere, they invaded them because they thought we wouldn't respond with military action and they wouldn't have backed down to negotiations because the people would have turned even futher against the military government. We HAD to respond will military action, and anyone that says it's not morally justifiable to defend your own citizens has some seriously messed up morals.

What about if it had of been wales or scotland? Should we have just let them have those stupid bits of land? Who care's about the British subjects on there, lets just hand them over too.

If there was a war on, and troops were low, then I would join up, or at least i would give the forces the option of taking me. I suspect after seeing the state of me, and also having seen my call of duty score, the army would let me go back home. It's the thought that counts.

I would fight if my country was under attack. WW2 for example, I would have certainly fought for the allied cause, because I believe it is was the right thing to do.

However, this is a point I find interesting and something that needs to be explored. Do people believe that ALL Germans that fought for the Nazi's were evil, nasty people? Because I certainly dont. I'm sure alot of Germans who were not anti-semic or in the least facist died for Nazi Germany. I'm not a historian, but I think fighting for ones country is circumstancial. We, living in cultures and countries that we do, see a choice. Do all people throughout history who have fought and died for their country had that choice, one way or another?

All wars have been justified by someone, Iraq and Afganistan by labour 2 of the most illegal wars in history.

How on earth do you come to that conclusion? WW1, WW2, Irag invading Kwait, Japan attacking America,the Falklands, the Gulf war, just about every war you can think off could be descirbed as illegal from one perspective.

If there was a war on, and troops were low, then I would join up, or at least i would give the forces the option of taking me. I suspect after seeing the state of me, and also having seen my call of duty score, the army would let me go back home. It's the thought that counts.

:lol:

I'm never fight for my country, I don't feel I have a strong enough bond with England to do so. However, given that my family reside here and if they were under threat... I'd rather be on the front line fighting the enemy as far away from my home as possible with a gun in my hand and my brothers in arms around me than on my front lawn with my pool cue keeping the new Nazis from the door.

Â