Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

Match Polls  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I think the best team won, over the 2 legs.

6-2 agrees with you. But I don't. Just my view though, and seems I'm very much in the minority. 

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

spacer.png

What a horribly unhelpful angle for the VAR

That line doesn't look parallel to the half-way line.... Fair play to Olympiacos... with the money gained from reaching the final, their owner will be be able to spend more on smuggling in heroin... sorry, allegedly smuggling in heroin...

Better team won over two legs but oh what could of been if our squad wasn't so depleted and the players that are available weren't running on empty. If we make champions league I'll be backing us each way to win it. UTV!

3 hours ago, PieFacE said:

So you don't think the players look tired or something? 

Do you not think the injuries are playing a huge part in our recent slump in form?

Genuinely curious. 

Yeah injuries take a toll to a certain extent,  but all teams have injuries now season end. That team was good enough to do the job no exuse. Tiredness is nothing to do with playing a pass or cross or playing with want and aggression we looked timid. Short of leadership to.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Poor at the back and in the final 3rd..Konsa,  arm in the air appealing for offside while trying to recover isn't a good look. If he had just concentrated on getting back he would have. He has to stop trying to be the linesman. 

Started off well and then suckered into conceding a poor goal all round , after that the writing was on the wall.

Olympiacos game plan worked a treat and they played well but we was bad, even short passes were going a stray, just too many games for us. I would have conceded defeat 10 minutes into the second half and made the changes we did on 85 minutes. We're gonna struggle for rest before Monday and it's a big worry......greedy? Probably, only time will tell.

Olympiacos.....hope they go on to win it but I have doubts , they was good , as we was bad. UTV.

Edited by tinker

We deserved to lose yep.

We've been told Conference League is tough, Spurs fan knows it, Roma fans, even West Ham though they smashed through it. 

It's especially tough when you're on your last legs. Olympiacos had our number and that's all it takes sometimes. Doesn't mean you have to be the best team. 

Hopefully this is a reality check and a good learning curve. The experience will do us good. 

It's a wake up call for next season too. Whether we are in the Champions League or the Europa League it's going to be even tougher to balance them against a strong league campaign. 

We can be proud this year though. Felt for the players in the end they tried but both mentally and physically they were done. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ozvilla28 said:

Cut the tiredness exuse going over the top. We couldn't even string a pass , a cross or create a few chances or do the basics. We're was the aggression,  intensity or the fire. Team lacks leadership bigtime.

Tiredness is the whole reason those things can suffer. Not sure how that can't be understood. If your legs are on fire, your muscles aren't working you are going to struggle to do the most basic things well in any match let alone a European semi final.

A few others have mentioned this..... that the disallowed goal and non-penalty award in the first leg were key moments.  I agree 100%.  If we had got an early goal in the first leg (which we did according to everyone except the ref who saw a player fall over and blew his whistle) it would have completely changed the complexion of the entire tie.  Olympiakos, from a trailing position would have been forced to come out and attack at some stage over the two legs, and we all know what this Villa team can and will do to any team who does that. 

Anyone who suggests that our injuries aren't an excuse/reason is fooling themselves.  The only difference between Aston Villa and all of the other clubs in the premier league is that our manager has class and refuses to berate officials or blame injuries.  

11 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

Tiredness is the whole reason those things can suffer. Not sure how that can't be understood. If your legs are on fire, your muscles aren't working you are going to struggle to do the most basic things well in any match let alone a European semi final.

Agreed.  It's well documented that the first thing to be affected by tiredness is speed of brain function.  That is scientific fact. 

14 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

Each to the own I'm not buying it. Offcourse we have had injuries , but the fact is that side last night was good enough yet offered little passion, intensity and fight couldn't do the basics no response at all. The leadership last 3 games has gone missing to.

7 hours ago, Jas10 said:

So dignified. No excuses. Slight element of "we literally need all of your energy, please queue up behind the North Stand before the game to go through the Energy Grab-a-tron 5000. Your welcome donations will then be injected into the players."

• Like 1

Villa 1 Man City 0

Look at the difference in the strength of the team and depth & options n the bench - That team/squad walks through if fit, wasnt to be with whats happend and i think its obvious 3/4 or those playing last night arent fit 

Proud of the lads, europe secured for next year, just hope its the elite version as we deserve it

• 1E Martínez
  • 4Konsa
  • 3Diego Carlos
  • 14P Torres
  • 12Digne
  • 31Bailey
  • 44Kamara
  • 6Douglas Luiz
  • 7McGinn
  • 8Tielemans
  • 11Watkins

Substitutes

• 2Cash
  • 15Moreno
  • 17Lenglet
  • 19Diaby
  • 22Zaniolo
  • 24Durán
  • 32Dendoncker
  • 41J Ramsey
  • 42Marschall

5 hours ago, ozvilla28 said:

Yeah injuries take a toll to a certain extent,  but all teams have injuries now season end. That team was good enough to do the job no exuse. Tiredness is nothing to do with playing a pass or cross or playing with want and aggression we looked timid. Short of leadership to.

It absolutely is, that is fatigue. It’s drains accuracy, sharpness, concentration. We were the only team in the league not to concede a penalty until about 4 games ago, now we’ve conceded 3 since then. When the same players are asked to perform at the top level twice a week it takes its toll. This small squad had played nearly 50% more games than others around us. Olympiaicos had a non-game weekend before both legs of this fixture.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MrBlack said:

6-2 agrees with you. But I don't. Just my view though, and seems I'm very much in the minority. 

It doesn't matter if you are in the minority or not....it's your opinion.

I saw too many things over the  2 legs, that was not commensurate with the new Aston Villa under UE

Folk can use, any reason, they wish for that.......but that's my view.

• Like 1

Â