• Durán (Diaby 73)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

I think losing Rogers so early affected us a lot as well

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Essentially it is what you said though. I am guessing by revise my expectations you mean I should be happy finishing 5th and going out of the semis of the Conference, which is practically giving up given we are in pole position to get 4th even after today.

I won't be told to grow up so if you say that to me one more time you're going on ignore. Or actually why don't you put me on ignore and save me the hassle.

If you want to know what I mean by 'revise your expectations', a better idea would be to ask rather than assume. In fact, what I mean is not you should be happy finishing 5th - nobody would be *happy* with that, from here - but that we probably won't get a positive result in our remaining games. Luckily we probably already have enough points for 4th, so it doesn't really matter. But I also think we can all prepare to be disappointed on Thursday night as well. The players don't have it in them at this stage. 

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Leeroy said:

But we still had some of our best players all season out there like Luiz, Pau, Watkins, McGinn, Bailey, Konsa. Who'd have known they'd all start playing like absolute muck right when we need them to perform. 

The team anre exhausted, we’ve played 50+ games this season, it’s catching up with our small injury ridden squad now despite the senior players available.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

I don't agree allani. The fans aren't turning on Unai just questioning decisions. He's been undoubtedly brilliant for us but as much as he take the plaudits week in and week out his decisions should also be questioned when it goes wrong. It's not a witch hunt. 

Some of the criticisms the players get is over the top without doubt but I think most sane individuals understand they're running on empty and low on confidence .

On the second point I'm not sure that the players are low on confidence - I think they're just putting themselves under a lot of pressure to finish the job rather than relaxing and playing their usual game.  Probably trying too hard rather than playing on instinct.  9/10 Ollie smashes the chance he had in the first half towards goal rather than trying to cut back and present an easier chance to Diaby.  I think he just thought about it too much.  Very few of these players have been in this position before but hopefully they are learning an awful lot from the experience.

We will get 4th even if we lose the remaining 2 games.

I'm much more worried about Thursday's game. Here's hoping for a miracle like Arsenal game.

• Like 2

Criticise the tactics today, yes. However, what he did great today in was when things got very heated he managed to calm the lads down. We could have easily imploded further and given away another silly goal (or more). Given the importance of goal difference, that can't be understated. That's good game management. It doesn't change the disappointment, but it could have gotten much worse.

45 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Essentially it is what you said though. I am guessing by revise my expectations you mean I should be happy finishing 5th and going out of the semis of the Conference, which is practically giving up given we are in pole position to get 4th even after today.

I won't be told to grow up so if you say that to me one more time you're going on ignore. Or actually why don't you put me on ignore and save me the hassle.

It’s ok mate I got told to shut up earlier because I said I didn’t think we would win another game this season. No opinions allowed 😂

• Like 1

Just now, ChesterDad said:

Absolutely this - we are limping over the line, with the amount of injuries and games played, just to be in the driving seat for champions league, at this stage is testament to his managerial skills.

Losing Kamara has been a massive blow to us. The same for Ramsey, and the loss of Buendia cannot be understated.

In all honesty - we are probably 12 months ahead of where any of us could dare to dream of. 

Exactly.  Plus we're still in a position where we are more suceptible of becoming unbalanced due to one or two injuries.  Losing Kamara, Tielemans, Ramsey, Buendia and arguably Zaniolo has left us with a very lop-sided midfield.  When you consider that we've also had a period when all four CBs have been injured it does seem like the injuries have concentrated in specific areas of the pitch at the same time.

3 minutes ago, allani said:

Exactly.  Plus we're still in a position where we are more suceptible of becoming unbalanced due to one or two injuries.  Losing Kamara, Tielemans, Ramsey, Buendia and arguably Zaniolo has left us with a very lop-sided midfield.  When you consider that we've also had a period when all four CBs have been injured it does seem like the injuries have concentrated in specific areas of the pitch at the same time.

Tbh - I forgot about Youri - another massive blow. Thanks 👍🏻

26 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

But we were told all season that the way we play we wouldn't be the one getting tired or injuries and that would be Newcastle or Tottenham as they play such a high intensity game.

Seems people were wrong there then.

Tielemens, Emi, and now Rogers all go down with a muscular issue. That's all due to the sheer #s of games played. Throw in the long term injuries in the squad and it's obvious that the players will be tired no matter what strategy we employ.  We obviously need additional quality at various positions if we are to continue with 50+ games next year. 

8 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Tielemens, Emi, and now Rogers all go down with a muscular issue. That's all due to the sheer #s of games played. Throw in the long term injuries in the squad and it's obvious that the players will be tired no matter what strategy we employ.  We obviously need additional quality at various positions if we are to continue with 50+ games next year. 

Don't disagree with the bolded bit.

2 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

Absolutely horrendous all round, from the team selection to the player performances. Unai should've cottoned on after the Chelsea game that we needed the 3 in the midfield and has persisted with ignoring this so as much as I'd love to blame it all on the players he really has to shoulder some of the blame imo. Turgid performance from everyone other than Olsen, never though I'd be saying that today. 

Yes, a rookie manager like Emery needs to be learning from wise advice like this. 🙃

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stewiek2 said:

We simply had to win. But we were lazy and got what we deserved. We played like a side who had already got top four and who were already on the beacg.

That is certainly the silliest comment I have read today

• Like 2

Always said it’ll be mental fatigue that will cost us top 4 and the conference. . Losing Rogers today didn’t help as he is the freshest and looked strong in recent games. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Kamara most of season.

Ramsey most of season. 

Moreno a large amount. 

Torres a large spell.

Same for Digne. 

Konsa also?

On top of Buendia and Mings.

Newcastle trusted Lewis Miley when they had endless injuries in the winter. He played very well for two months at the age of just 17. Man. United also put in Mainoo who's been a revelation and will probably play in the euros.

Probably more comparable example is Chelsea being without Reece James and Gusto so instead of just moving a CB there Poch has put in Gilchrist at RB who'd done fine.

Perhaps Tim just isn't as talented as those players but he's coming off being a regular in the championship and is regular in the England under 20s so he's actually got more experience than when Ramsey first broke into our team in 2021.

I refuse to believe we'd look worse playing 4-3-3 currently than sticking Duran on and going two upfront which certainly doesn't work for us at all.

• Like 1

Â