Match Thread: Villa v Wolves

limpid

For all he has a huge amount to learn off the ball, i do like Rogers ability to take the ball in the turn and drive forwards with it. He is a very strong runner with the ball.

Just now, VillaChris said:

Don't think we can risk this formation v Man. City, they'll expose it very comfortably.

Yeah, when teams make the pitch quite big by playing with width we look very vulnerable. 

Just now, andym said:

For all he has a huge amount to learn off the ball, i do like Rogers ability to take the ball in the turn and drive forwards with it. He is a very strong runner with the ball.

Yeah, he showed some real pace and power to run with the ball.

As he matures as a player and works with Emery hopefully he will learn when to release the ball. Good signs though.

9 minutes ago, NorthEastVillan said:

Ffs we'd be 3-0 up if decision making was better. As it stands 1-0 just about deserved after a nervy Start.

Just don't concede early second half as usual 🤞 

Possibly 3-1?

Moreno is having a miserable time and it seems that teams are closing him down quicker, which means he's getting less space to operate in.

No doubt the gaffer will tell him that, if the cross isn't on be sure not to lose possession.

Emery's gestures suggested he thinks he's being too predictable.

Just now, PieFacE said:

Yeah, when teams make the pitch quite big by playing with width we look very vulnerable. 

Interesting if Tim gets any minutes today. If he gets half an hour then it's clearly with a view to starting him v Man. City.

Ever since Unai's comments in the press he's been an unused sub in the league so the trust isn't there for what he's putting into training or his tactical knowledge of what we need in midfield.

We really need three sitting squarely in midfield v Man. City so it's a selection conundrum.

Wolves look sharp and can move it well. We won't be able to pressure as we did after scoring for the remainder. I sense if we start second half in the way we finished it, going to have to score again. Wolves will have way too much ability to pick us apart if we are tired and needing to sit deep late on.

Be interesting to see how we come out and approach this.

Can Villa just come out and get an early second here and make it easy for ourselves.

I don't want this being 1 - 0 going into the final 10 mins....

Rogers suspect defensively but he is a beast running with the ball. Can’t coach that ability, can coach decision making and defensive understanding. I’d give him another 10 minutes then bring Digne and Zaniolo down our left. 

1 up happy with that and we got better the half went on but some poor decision making in the final third 

we’ll score again in the 2nd half 

4 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

2 good runs from him being selfish but one in the final this where he held the ball too long and a pass would have created a dangerous opportunity.

He did well to win the ball both times and did brilliantly to beat 1 - 2 players then just ruined it with illogical decision making in the end

Just now, ozvilla28 said:

Rogers showing good signs. I like how he runs at players and not afraid to take them on. Give him a preseason with Unai.

He's been excellent carrying the ball, just missing that final pass or shot at the moment.

• Like 2