Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Spurs

limpid

Match Polls  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/03/24 at 23:59

15 hours ago, striker said:

Currant midfield has no pace or physicality. One reason why the top teams love playing against Villa TRO!

If FFP is going to be adjusted in the summer which looks likely then the bulk of the budget must be spent on restructuring midfield!

I have been saying it, until I am blue in the face.

We did manage to muster something against Man City and Arsenal....but it seems unsustainable....as soon as a team of any grade of talent, wants to get physical, or run at us, we wilt, and play within ourselves.

I think other teams, have clicked on to this, and another suspicion of our fading form.

We signed Tielemans who is a talented boy....but he's lightweight too.....I can only assume, the main attraction was, he was free.

The club has one, quality CDM....I mean dedicated CDM, not a deployed one......That must be a concern, for a club our size.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Yeah that goal was disappointing… either defender should have got that ball away… it’s not like he’s a big, powerful CF or anything…

Oh it’s just such a downer… 

It’s the hope that kills you 😆

I try to keep a lid on it Jas.....I will still follow Villa with as much gusto, as if I had it.

I am as grateful as the next man, for what Unai has done and I still cling to WIP, when he says only a small portion of the work is done, I rather want to believe him.....but there are aspects of this current team, I don't believe in. I don't believe in its ability to defend as a whole, is just one aspect, but it's the main one.

It's the reason my hope, is always tested.

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

Thanks for your response Jas....enjoyed it.

I think after over 60 years of supporting Villa, I am not going to abandon them now, and even at 73 I am still quite vocal.

Coming on here, and voicing opinions is not to be confused with supporting the team....I still do, vociferously.

However, I refuse to suppress my opinion of the recent drop off in performances and my fervent support in Aston Villa, has to make way for honesty.

I don't doubt, injuries have affected us greatly, as they have other Premier league teams.....I guess Van der Ven, will be huge loss to Spurs.....but it's a bit more than that for me.

In terms of the squad depth, we make our bed, we lie on it......There is an army of recruitment people, what's the point if we can't use them to our benefit. If we can't buy players, we are going to have to adjust our expectations....and even then, we have to buy ones who will enhance the team/squad.

I have always thought Champions League places were a big ask, and even if we get there, are we really ready for such a huge task?

We may have been in the top 4 for 16 games, but are we really a top 4 team?.....apart from the few games, I am not so sure. I think some of our players are top 4, some are not.

All teams have their highs and lows....but our lows are too low, for what we think we are.....The difference between a teams high and low, usually indicates their consistency, amongst many things.

I have no joy whatsoever embroiling myself in writing about our poor games.....I want to be waxing lyrical about the better games....but I am sorry to say, I see something in many of our games lately, that disappoint me.

I am not a person, that comes out of the woodwork, when we lose....it disappoints me as much as it does you.....The thing that disappoints me the most is, I was hoping the team would prove me wrong, to my inner thoughts....That result and performance was lurking in the shadows....It was there against United, Newcastle and Chelsea.....These things cannot be denied, these performances and results are with us, until we banish them....Since Sheff Utd, we have morphed, back in to a soft underbelly, and some players, I emphasis some players are fighting to resist it, but we haven't got enough with fight.

I too want to be optimistic, but despite my inner thoughts and they have been manifested by years and years of watching football, not just my beloved Villa......I cling to hope as opposed to expectation.

I have no intention of telling other fans how to be a fan...it's their call...and I admire your strength in continuing to believe, we can overcome these setbacks......I am weaker than you, and my head is ruling my heart right now, and I wished it wasn't.

I will continue to attend matches, continue to support the boys......as for expectation, no not for me, not with the current circumstances.

Just as you are not going to stop critiquing the team, in which you are completely free and justified in doing (I am also, to less of an extent or regularity perhaps) I am not going to ignore the squad disruptions and injuries…

I fully believe that we have earned our position in the league… once again, I have to give huge praise to Unai and, yes, the players for overcoming all of the obstacles and adversity (something I have not really witnessed a Villa team or manager do… or at least not for a good long while… so far back that my memory is hazy on it. We have usually withered, declined and struggled in such situations in the past. We are a vastly better side these days and play a far superior brand of football - that’s if we even had a brand or style back then 🙄 Boy, those were tough times)… we have got there by playing brilliant football as well as showing a hell of a lot of character…

As I said before, when the majority (if not everyone, or at least our most important) players are available… we have all the ingredients to be a top side and to beat anyone on our day - it’s happened, we’ve witnessed it on plenty of occasions… I maintain that we should not forget, overlook or ignore that.

I won’t speak on Mings and Buendia as they were injured early on and could not be involved this season.

But…

we have struggled to maintain some form of consistency in our lineups and the partnerships in our team that makes us so strong… for example… it is the combination of Luiz and Kamara that has made us stronger, the combination of Pau and Konsa that helped us overcome the poor start to the season and become a more formidable, effective and more attractive team… McGinn is our leader and inspiration… he brings almost all of the energy and fight that this team requires…

Our squad is not deep and not filled with quality… we depend on our key players more than some other (top) sides (who, unlike us, are used to competing at the top end and regularly splash the cash… they have luxuries we can’t afford. We have to remedy that by making ourselves stronger on the commercial and financial side asap) and don’t have good enough options to step in and take on the slack…

Yes, Unai has overachieved (but not in a sense that it is unsustainable… I expect us to go from strength to strength… and just look at his record and pedigree for further indication or belief. Most of all we will improve with coaching and time on the training pitch moreso than spending exorbitant amounts - although key additions and upgrades in key areas will be made) with this set of players but…

most of them are relatively young and learning from a whole new experience and level of competition… they will keep improving imo… especially under our world class manager and coach. Nothing and no one gives me as much or more faith than Unai… we are blessed to have him. Our future is rosy as long as he is with us… I am firm in that belief.

On top of the disruptions… we have players who have no form and haven’t stepped up… the form of Diaby is a big disappointment and is hurting us…

I think Zaniolo has had a hard time (and the criticism verging on hatred is excessive and unfair imo, an easy target) and not been given the best opportunities - limited minutes and playing out of position.

Duran… shown promise but there do seem to be off the field issues…

The big bright spark has been Bailey… but it’s hard for him to be consistent too…

We were brilliant last season and one of the best things about us was that left side combination of Moreno and Ramsey (another partnership we have been deprived of)…

It is hugely frustrating… I wish we could get some consistency in our lineups rather than keep having to tinker and change things around…

It’s hard to pick yourself up or feel optimistic and positive after a defeat and performance like that but… it’s still important to step back, look at the bigger picture and have some perspective.

In such a short space of time… we’ve gone from relegation candidates under a clown of a manager to European competitors under the best manager we’ve ever had… with largely the same set of players… it is remarkable and warrants appreciation…

I feel like discarding expectation now and just trying to see how we go and try to enjoy it… but… no getting away from the fact that we have to put in some positive performance and eradicate the errors, complacency, lethargy etc… what have you… asap…

It does feel like a bigger challenge atm though… losing McGinn has knocked my confidence… but we could be pleasantly shocked and surprised as to how Unai manages the next few games… we have seen the class of the man plenty of times…

UTV

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I try to keep a lid on it Jas.....I will still follow Villa with as much gusto, as if I had it.

I am as grateful as the next man, for what Unai has done and I still cling to WIP, when he says only a small portion of the work is done, I rather want to believe him.....but there are aspects of this current team, I don't believe in. I don't believe in its ability to defend as a whole, is just one aspect, but it's the main one.

It's the reason my hope, is always tested.

I get you and I’m not saying you’re wrong…

I suppose everyone has different perspective and thought processes…

I do agree that we don’t have enough players with defensive strength, resilience and prowess in the team - this is something we have tended to agree on for a while… but, I’m sorry, but yet again - the injuries have deprived us of whatever amount of that we had… and we certainly had enough to compete and hang around those top 4 positions… but yeah, I would like one or two more in the squad, if not the team, that make us more stronger in that sense… we have been restricted by FFP also though… maybe we would’ve brought in a DM in Jan otherwise (and it was difficult to attract anyone decent)..

Expecting us to suddenly be as good or consistent as the top 4/5 sides or to be relatively faultless and then getting annoyed and critical (this is a general point, not aimed at you at all), moaning and complaining does seem a little unfair and almost “jumping the gun” to me though… we weren’t entitled to this and I don’t think anyone was realistically expecting it before the season began… the jump form SG to UE has been massive and swift…

We‘ve made a big step, this is new, it’s about maintaining it now and ensuring this isn’t a “one off”… I don’t believe it will be… not with King Unai at the helm…

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

We have one of the best midfields in the league. The issue is we can't get them all playing together due to injury/suspensions.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

I get you and I’m not saying you’re wrong…

I suppose everyone has different perspective and thought processes…

I do agree that we don’t have enough players with defensive strength, resilience and prowess in the team - this is something we have tended to agree on for a while… but, I’m sorry, but yet again - the injuries have deprived us of whatever amount of that we had… and we certainly had enough to compete and hang around those top 4 positions… but yeah, I would like one or two more in the squad, if not the team, that make us more stronger in that sense… we have been restricted by FFP also though… maybe we would’ve brought in a DM in Jan otherwise (and it was difficult to attract anyone decent)..

Expecting us to suddenly be as good or consistent as the top 4/5 sides or to be relatively faultless and then getting annoyed and critical (this is a general point, not aimed at you at all), moaning and complaining does seem a little unfair and almost “jumping the gun” to me though… we weren’t entitled to this and I don’t think anyone was realistically expecting it before the season began… the jump form SG to UE has been massive and swift…

We‘ve made a big step, this is new, it’s about maintaining it now and ensuring this isn’t a “one off”… I don’t believe it will be… not with King Unai at the helm…

Much so.....

We have had some great games this season, and some struggling ones.

I never thought the team was ready for top 4 or Champions league Football, we are not rounded enough.....surely Europa is the next stop, in our progression.

I am not trying to downplay our ambitions, due to a disappointing set back....but maybe our expectations was built more on hope, than calculation.

We can all cling to injuries as a form of mitigation, and who am I to say otherwise......but remember, our best defender( Mings) was in the team for a spell at Newcastle, where we got mullered.....so maybe it's a bit of a lot of things.

You know my feelings on our defending and I am not going to labour the point.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

Until we beat West Ham, Wolves and Brentford in our next 3 PL games and suddenly we’ll be nailed on for 4th and maybe looking to sneak into 3rd 😊

I really hope that's the case, but our record away at West Ham is atrocious, and isn't that much better at home against Wolves. Then we've got Man City who will smash us into smithereens. Can see 1 or 2 points at best in the next three games.

4 minutes ago, Risso said:

I really hope that's the case, but our record away at West Ham is atrocious, and isn't that much better at home against Wolves. Then we've got Man City who will smash us into smithereens. Can see 1 or 2 points at best in the next three games.

Might be true but a] pointless looking at "our record" when this is entirely new territory we're in and b] Man City might do that, but we battered them at Villa Park.

15 minutes ago, TRO said:

Much so.....

We have had some great games this season, and some struggling ones.

I never thought the team was ready for top 4 or Champions league Football, we are not rounded enough.....surely Europa is the next stop, in our progression.

I am not trying to downplay our ambitions, due to a disappointing set back....but maybe our expectations was built more on hope, than calculation.

We can all cling to injuries as a form of mitigation, and who am I to say otherwise......but remember, our best defender( Mings) was in the team for a spell at Newcastle, where we got mullered.....so maybe it's a bit of a lot of things.

You know my feelings on our defending and I am not going to labour the point.

I still think we can get CL and deserve it… but, we have to gain and maintain some form of momentum now at a really challenging time. We have all summer to plan ahead…

Get there, recruit well and intelligently, use the finances to boost and advance the club - a lot of advantages. The lift we need…in so many ways. 

Had it not been for the injuries and suspensions… I don’t think it’s too wild to say we would’ve been fighting in those top 2-3 positions… 

I am tempted to labour the point about combinations and partnerships… I think it’s important…. but I’ll leave it there for now 😆

Some stability would have been nice…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Might be true but a] pointless looking at "our record" when this is entirely new territory we're in and b] Man City might do that, but we battered them at Villa Park.

I'd lump on Villa at Man City then, you'll make a mint.

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

Until we beat West Ham, Wolves and Brentford in our next 3 PL games and suddenly we’ll be nailed on for 4th and maybe looking to sneak into 3rd 😊

The Title Race thread gets bumped again too 😭

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Risso said:

I'd lump on Villa at Man City then, you'll make a mint.

“Man City might do that”

LUMP ON VILLA THEN!

**** hell. 

16 hours ago, 479Villan said:

When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. 

piss off, Carra. 

like it.

but when a good point is being made.....who said it, can be a convenient distraction.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

6th was always my fancied finish....sure I dream, like everyone else....but I am not convinced with aspects of this team....despite some great exceptional games.

I think Unai has worked wonders to be honest.....He needs better players in certain positions, to realise our dreams.

After the first game of the season, we have worked a miracle.....but traits of that first game are still there....we have been riding our luck, but eventually it runs out, and reality kicks in.

Finishing 6th now would feel like a kick in the balls.

But maybe that's our current level, maybe we punched above our weight the first half of the season and it's now balancing out.  99% of fans at the start of the season would have taken 6th and a Europa Conference run.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, imavillan said:

agree, but a lot of that gets over looked and hardly mentioned.

These pundits either simply don't know or the researchers don't do there homework properly.

Media muppets 

They dont care about us enough to do research. If was Liverpool or United it would be highlighted so clearly

• Like 1

Created some okay opportunities early on. Unai and the team can look back at that and hold heads high. 

Let the nerves get the better of us after going down. Within minutes it's cost us double the deficit. 

Captain's rush of blood left us with half an hour to play and without much to look to for on field inspiration. 

Spurs finish the tie with a result that flatters them enormously, yet could be catalyst for them to go on and take 4th by season's end.

I'm really disappointed because while i don't see Unai allowing us to throw a pity party for ourselves and capitulate. This could be what Spurs use to fuel better performances and get some momentum going.

6 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

I do wish we had it in us to grind out a draw now and again.

Drawing at home to either Man Utd or Spurs would have been really good results.

We just set a record of consecutive victories at VP, what happened to that attitude? It looked like we set up against Spurs to not lose more than win, and look how that turned out.

Fortune favours and all that.

28 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I would rather have tried to take the initiative from the off against Spurs. We certainly had the players available to be more offensive, instead, we tried to contain their threat. It should have been the other way round, especially when you consider how we have the knack for getting early goals. The players didn't even get the crowd going, it was like a library. 

I agree. All our best football this season has been when attacking from the off. It lifts the crowd, the players respond and we get a good performance more often than not. I always think if we start slow it never bodes well, and generally it doesn't. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not some weeks ago we were in the title race. The games that determined our falling off were displays from us that, while ultimately weren't enough, gave an idea of this team's identity. We are in the contest, and oftentimes thriving. Yes, we are still a work in progress, and yes, we've been punished by the competition at times. I feel like we shot ourselves in the foot against Spurs more than they played anything wordly.

And that's what hurts most. Even amid all the challenges we have had to deal with this season while challenging for UCL, as well as progressing through UECL. We've for the most part rose to the occasion and delivered. Hasnt always been what youd want, but we are still in the hunt and thats an incredible feat. I still have faith that these last games to be played will be an indication of how difficult we are to face and how determined we are to establish ourselves among the best.

Spurs inbetween Ajax fixtures in the knockout. Could you script a tougher run in?

I think despite the heavy knock back, we are built for this.

UTV!!

Edited by A'Villan

14 hours ago, duke313 said:

Finishing 6th now would feel like a kick in the balls.

But maybe that's our current level, maybe we punched above our weight the first half of the season and it's now balancing out.  99% of fans at the start of the season would have taken 6th and a Europa Conference run.

There's no doubt about this. We absolutely overachieved. 

Â