Guess Who (gets sold)

Don_Simon

Guess Who (gets sold).  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Summer Sales. If a good bid, relative to the players with to Villa comes in, who do you sell?

• Martinez
    • Torres
    • Watkins
    • McGinn
    • Ramsey
    • Luiz

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/03/24 at 18:02

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

I think Kamara is more vital to this team than JJ.  For so long we needed a DM and he does that amazingly with a few mistakes but he’s still young.  JJ unfortunately while brilliant and young is playing in a position we have alternatives (not maybe in style) so would be least impactful to losing.

we don’t want to lose anybody vital including JJ.  I’m really hoping Bailey doesn’t have a release clause in his new contract because with Liverpool likely selling Salah for a stupid fee to Saudi in the summer as everybody expects then an ideal replacement would be Bailey or City looking to replace what Mahrez left and haven’t really replaced.  Bailey loves Emery and earns big money and hopefully we’ll have CL but the elite teams have a tendency to come after the best players from teams that are getting too close to them.

I'm heavily biased by clause of " one of our own " and think he potentially has a high ceiling.

People often talk about the romance leaving football etc and for me this one in particular would be gutting.

Unless he turns to shite obs... Then loyalty goes out the window 😁.

I feel the likes of Kamara would be quick to leave us if he could for a " better. " Option. ( Could be a total misread )

• Like 1

It's not who I want. It's who I think.

There'll be a clamour for Luiz and I think we replace him with Guendouzi.

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'm heavily biased by clause of " one of our own " and think he potentially has a high ceiling.

People often talk about the romance leaving football etc and for me this one in particular would be gutting.

Unless he turns to shite obs... Then loyalty goes out the window 😁.

I feel the likes of Kamara would be quick to leave us if he could for a " better. " Option. ( Could be a total misread )

I lost that when Jack left and we found out about him looking to leave in previous seasons.  Not saying JJ is like that and while I love “one of our own” narrative, I’m not as stuck to it as I used to be.  Some of my favourite Villa players of all time werent Villa fans or graduates so…

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BOF said:

It's not who I want. It's who I think.

There'll be a clamour for Luiz and I think we replace him with Guendouzi.

Guendouzi? Whose now at Lazio with an option to buy of €15m….no thanks!

I love Luiz but I'd say out of all key players he's the most likely in this hypothetical scenario. He has been excellent so will command interest and a massive fee in the process, and simply due to the pool of players out there in his position he's more easily replaced than certain others. Needless to say hopefully it doesn't come to that though.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Indigo said:

I love Luiz but I'd say out of all key players he's the most likely in this hypothetical scenario. He has been excellent so will command interest and a massive fee in the process, and simply due to the pool of players out there in his position he's more easily replaced than certain others. Needless to say hopefully it doesn't come to that though.

If this is the case, I'd hope he goes somewhere like La Liga.

Any of the European Powerhouses need a player of his ilk? 🤔

Hopefully Champions League brings in a load of extra cash and then we can get by with some wheeling and dealing around non-core players

I don’t agree that Luiz is so easily replaceable, he is a top quality player hence the potential high transfer fee, and he’s crucial in how we play and progress the ball centrally.

I'm not surprised at the number of people who think we can get by by selling players nobody wants, but it's very unlikely. Fringe players don't command big fees. 

Kamara would probably have been the most logical sale as he was free and is on big wages, but he won't be possible because of injury. Martinez, Torres and Watkins are IMO essentially irreplaceable. McGinn almost certainly won't command a fee commensurate to his importance to the team. That leaves Ramsey, Konsa and Luiz, and that's in my order of """"preference"""". 

EDIT: The other player who hasn't been mentioned but would almost certainly attract a lot of interest is Bailey. I very much hope he isn't one who goes. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

I think there's a core of players who make us what we are and would be extremely difficult to replace for similar money.  I'm thinking Watkins, McGinn, Kamara, Torres, Konsa, Luiz Bailey and I'd include Ramsey in that.   He makes us better when fully fit, and I don't think we'd find better or equivalent with the money we'd get, despite being pure profit from a PSR/FFP point of view.  

We could arguably get £100m plus for Luiz - if Caicedo and Rice are worth that then so is Doug - and not far off for Watkins.  Watkins would be almost impossible to replace though whereas with Luiz we could probably source someone for quite a lot less who wouldn't represent a significant drop off in quality.

My thoughts are Unai will try and sell Duran, since he's had some issues with him, and that Rogers was brought in on that basis - I think Duran may have gone in January if he hadn't got injured.  Shame because I think the lad has all the tools to be a top player if he can sort his attitude out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm not surprised at the number of people who think we can get by by selling players nobody wants, but it's very unlikely. Fringe players don't command big fees. 

Kamara would probably have been the most logical sale as he was free and is on big wages, but he won't be possible because of injury. Martinez, Torres and Watkins are IMO essentially irreplaceable. McGinn almost certainly won't command a fee commensurate to his importance to the team. That leaves Ramsey, Konsa and Luiz, and that's in my order of """"preference"""". 

EDIT: The other player who hasn't been mentioned but would almost certainly attract a lot of interest is Bailey. I very much hope he isn't one who goes. 

I'd rather try and get our money back for Diaby than let Bailey go - although that won't help the FSR situation as much.

• Shocked 1

45 minutes ago, El Segundo said:

I'd rather try and get our money back for Diaby than let Bailey go - although that won't help the FSR situation as much.

Presumably we'd need somebody to pay around £40m for Diaby just to break even; I don't see who is paying that kind of money for him. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Presumably we'd need somebody to pay around £40m for Diaby just to break even; I don't see who is paying that kind of money for him. 

Good point, but didn't he have offers to go to Saudi when we signed him?

Fans love Ramsey, ok.

But of those players listed in this poll it is clear we can cope best without him. For a start, he has missed large chunks of this season and it is shaping up to be our best season since 1995-96. 

30 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Do a chelsea and sell Coutinho and Hause for a combined 30 million and get away with it.

We would if someone would pay that

2 hours ago, El Segundo said:

That's probably true, but I think it's worth saying there have only been 6 transfers worth more than £40m to Saudi (Neymar, Malcom, Otavio, Neves, Mitrovic, Fabinho) so it would be a hefty deal in Saudi terms. 

Not saying it's not possible, but I don't think it's likely. 

2 hours ago, El Segundo said:
23 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

It’s also likely that next season that Diaby will be like Bailey because similar players and Bailey took time to adapt.  We know Diaby can do it because he did at the beginning of the season.  Can you imagine having early season Diaby but better after settling plus Bailey in the same XI?  They did it together at their previous club so imagine them two together for us…it will be friggin awesome.

The short answer would be Luiz.

That is because he is still young, teams actually want him and he has recently signed a new contract so we would be in a strong position to ask for a huge fee. I don't want him to go but that's modern football for you. Watkins is fundamentally important to this side and he will be 29 this year so his selling window is very short. I would rather keep him. McGinn looks very settled at Villa and can't see him leaving now. Same with Martinez,

Selling Ramsey this summer would be stupid as he has had a poor season. Buy low, sell high.

Â