Ratings & Reactions: FAC4R: Villa v Chelsea

limpid

Match Polls  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/02/24 at 23:59

Despite all the worries about the defence (who weren’t good), it was our midfield that really stank the place out. Looked tired, not up for it, slow to the second balls, and too many missed passes.

Very odd performance, not much fun at all.

I thought the forwards (Bailey, Tielemans, Watkins… Diaby when he came on) actually played ok, unlucky at times not to get something.

Didn’t think it was a foul for their FK, but great strike nonetheless.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 1

I'm disgusted by the performance but the silver lining is we have less matches to play now.

I love the FA cup but this squad is ill equipped to be playing so many matches.

Focus on the league and hopefully they can at least give us up in the ECL.

There are worrying signs though for me... I hope I look an idiot... But these patterns will see us finish lower than 6th.

Manure match is important for performance as much as result. I can handle the result going against us but geez at least make it difficult for them...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Am fine to be out of the competition. We don't need it this season. Hope the team have a reaction against United. Win that and we are in a brilliant position. 

I wouldn’t say I’m fine, but I can withstand this punch to the gut, take a water break, and hopefully come out fighting against United.

People seem to underrate Chelsea a bit.

Just because their 11th doesn't mean they are shit and all we need to do is to turn up and we'll win.

They are still a decent side with some very talented players and on their day they can be a handful for anyone

• Like 3

6 hours ago, The_Rev said:

Just back now. Watched from the Trinity for a change so my perspective might be skewed, but I thought Chelsea were the best team I’ve seen at Villa Park this season. Poch completely shut down our midfield, they had this system where they could overload on either side very easily and would have 3 vs 1 on McGinn or Tielemans which meant passing to them stopped becoming a viable option and they were just removed from the game.  As well as being out thought, we were out fought. Lost too many of the 50/50s, the only way I could see out of the overload was the big diagonal pass which we tried a few times and it never worked. Moreno was poor and Kamara had a bad game too.   Chelsea on the other hand were excellent, their movement was great and the constant rotation of their forwards and the sharpness of their passing was miles better than anything we were doing.  I felt they ran through us with ease and we just couldn’t live with them.  Very poor performance, we need to get a second wind because smart teams have figured out how to nullify us. 

It's all well and good praising Chelsea, but I think that ignores the fact we completely let them play. Chelsea under Poch have always been high press, high energy team, in the two games we've played them before this they were like that, but they've just been pumped 4-2 by Wolves at home. Even when they won 5 out of 7 they were struggling to beat teams like Crystal Palace. The only reason they hammered us last night is because of our own dire performance, no press, no aggression, bullied once again, gifting them goals (i.e Kamara for the first goal, what the f*ck was he doing losing the ball there, he was a liability all night and I rate he guy usually). And once again as we have said many times in recent weeks there were too many players off it and everyone shirked their responsibility. Dougie was magnificent at the weekend and then returned to being very poor again last night. 

I'm annoyed hearing excuses like we're tired, we've just had a 2 week winter break like everyone else, we should be no more tired than our opposition. I do think the injuries in defence have screwed us but Chelsea had no Reece James, no Sanchez, no Colwill yet we struggled to create once again and didn't score until the last minute of the game. Man Utd have no Martinez at the weekend who is hugely important for them, so if our attack is again poor and struggles to create despite the fact West Ham had over 20 shots against them then you have to question what's going on. If we can't defend properly then may as well try to outscore opposition, but we won't if they play in that slow, pedestrian, reactive way and get bullied out the game. 

Maybe putting Pau back in the starting lineup on Sunday will help the defence, maybe Digne will be fit to play too as he is progressing well, because Carlos and Lenglet together is a disaster it seems. How these guys ever played for Sevilla and Barcelona respectively I have no clue, they are awful defenders. And Moreno can't defend either and the less said about Cash the better. I'd like to see a back four of Cash - Carlos - Pau - Digne against Man Utd, if Pau ad Digne are fit, and we might have a chance. 

Chelsea, Newcastle and Chelsea all three games they have had a quality high press and we have failed to deal with it. It's both structural and the players involved.

Pau out is a factor and now it's confidence as we're not playing well for a prolonged period now

1st goal is a defensive error from Kamara

3rd is a wonder strike

Just one of those days.

Edited by Pinebro

4 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Despite all the worries about the defence (who weren’t good), it was our midfield that really stank the place out. Looked tired, not up for it, slow to the second balls, and too many missed passes.

I thought the forwards (Bailey, Tielemans, Watkins… Diaby when he came on) actually played ok, unlucky at times not to get something.

I was really disappointed in Bailey, I don't know where he was supposed to be. Cash was getting over run against Chilwell and Jackson and he didnt ever appear to help. They really do not play well together

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pinebro said:

Just because their 11th doesn't mean they are shit and all we need to do is to turn up and we'll win.

They are still a decent side with some very talented players and on their day they can be a handful for anyone

They are decent on their day, very good infact just far too inconsistent . It’s not the result I’m bothered about so much it’s the lacklustre performance again. 

• Like 1

Chelsea played out of their skins, that’s their best performance of the season and will give them a huge boost going into the remainder of the season. They were faster, stronger, sharper than us in every department. Seeing our players get brushed off the ball and ran through time after time was hard to watch. It was like we were playing within a shell, but I think that’s due to Chelsea pressing hell out of us and closing off the passing lanes into midfield. The lack of movement to find space was an issue though, no real excuse for that. 

We really miss our strongest settled defence. Konsa, Pau and Digne would all be starting if fit, and we’re all key to our brilliant run. Carlos and Lenglet aren’t leaders, and don’t have the defensive or offensive quality of Konsa and Torres.

I thought Watkins played well especially given the lack of supply, and it was good to see Diaby score. There’s work to do if we are to stay in the top five, let’s hope we can turn the form around and get some of these players back soon. 

7 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

The Scum 6  virtually win it every year  , at least the Conference has a variety of winners. I honestly can't tell you the winners of the last 5 finals apart from the Leceister one. It has been an endless combination of Chelsea, Arsenal,City and  Liverpool for he last 10 years.  Once we lose I pay no attention to it all now.

Since Wimbledon's shock win in 1988 - so 35 years - only Everton, Portsmouth, Wigan and Leicester outside of the Sky 6 have won it.

And even Leicester had not long won the league.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pinebro said:

No excuses, we were poor, just played into there's hands.

Next 4 then may beat Palace, but will lose against City, Liverpool, an Tottenham, you'll see.

We are allowing the games to be wrestled off us, by spirited opponents, and we conversely are showing no appetite, to wrestle it back.

Chelsea, have just been reeling from a wolves, Mauling......we have a real problem.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KentVillan said:

its been like it for a while, we made chelsea's midfield look, worth what they paid for it......Wolves have only just beaten them comprehensibly.

This is on us.............and I don't see it being an easy fix.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Chelsea played out of their skins, that’s their best performance of the season and will give them a huge boost going into the remainder of the season. They were faster, stronger, sharper than us in every department. Seeing our players get brushed off the ball and ran through time after time was hard to watch. It was like we were playing within a shell, but I think that’s due to Chelsea pressing hell out of us and closing off the passing lanes into midfield. The lack of movement to find space was an issue though, no real excuse for that. 

We really miss our strongest settled defence. Konsa, Pau and Digne would all be starting if fit, and we’re all key to our brilliant run. Carlos and Lenglet aren’t leaders, and don’t have the defensive or offensive quality of Konsa and Torres.

I thought Watkins played well especially given the lack of supply, and it was good to see Diaby score. There’s work to do if we are to stay in the top five, let’s hope we can turn the form around and get some of these players back soon. 

That was the very reason, chelsea had their best game of the season......we can't cope with ANY team pressing us, we have no press resistant players.

The midfield is the problem area, they have no appetite to compete for the ball....just want it on a plate.

We simply rolled over.....Chelsea had their best game of the season due to our passive offering.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jim said:

That’s what their last transfer fees were. Let’s not make out we were forced to play kids.

I never mentioned kids. I said we played our 4th and 5th choice centre backs. 

1. Pau

2. Konsa

3. Mings

4. Carlos

5. Lenglet 

That is just a fact. 

12 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

No excuses, we were poor, just played into there's hands.

Next 4 then may beat Palace, but will lose against City, Liverpool, an Tottenham, you'll see.

No shame in losing to any of those 

• Confused 2

7 hours ago, El Segundo said:

Chelsea probably played the best they have all season.  That’s not saying much , but their midfield dominated ours and actually looked like the £200m+ midfield it is.  They were quicker, hungrier and sharper all over the pitch and played with zip and pace.  They went from end to end in seconds, we took minutes to not get there.  It’s the worst I’ve seen us in a long time, so may awful individual performances.

One wonders why that was though – surely we should have been up for this one after battling to get the replay.  We just seemed half arsed and after looking really good for about 5 minutes we decided we couldn’t or wouldn’t  pass to each other, or move, or cover, or mark, or create anything.  It was worse than the awful Everton cup game.  I’d already had a shitty day and it was  so bad I went for a pint after 35 minutes as I couldn’t take any more of it.

We’ve been poor in our last 4 home games, conceding 9 goals, all against teams that are either at the bottom of the league or have been struggling for results.  We’ve won one of those , and were fortunate to get that.  I fear Emery’s approach has been sussed out.  Brilliant as he’s been up to December,  his apparent inability to adopt a different approach to suit the circumstances and respond to adversity makes me concerned that perhaps he’s not quite the elite manager we like to think he is.  Not making changes at half time tonight was a case in point, it coudln't have got any worse if he'd brought some under 11s on.   I hope he dispels those doubts soon. Sunday for starters.  

How many of our players "go after" opponents to stop them playing?.......opponents are doing it to us with impunity.

We just stand off, waiting for the Roy of the Rovers pass....to eagerly engage in the attacking mode, very noble, some might say.....but teams suss that out, and "go after" us, that nullifies our threat, without much fuss and stifles any creativity we intended.

The old saying "" You have to win the right to play football" is relevant to us ,right now.

Edited by TRO

Â