Ratings & Reactions: FAC4R: Villa v Chelsea

limpid

Match Polls  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/02/24 at 23:59

My only possible solace from tonight is that so far this season every time we have lost we've gone on to win our next match.  3 points against Man Utd will put is in a great position in the league.  I just hope the players remember how to pass and control a football as quickly as they seemed to forget tonight.

• Like 1

Had a bad feeling pre match, all the talk about us being clear favourites, they've still an abundance of good players who are under performing - till tonight.

The midfield was sooo poor though, so many sloppy passes (Kamara), half hearted challenges (Luiz), running in treacle (McGinn) - they cut through us with ease. 

Couple of decisions went against us but overall best side won by far.

Need a massive reaction on Sunday, and Pau/Digne back ideally.

Edited by WakefieldVillan

3 minutes ago, Spoony said:

We were shit. But Christ alive the match thread. So, so embarassing. 

Why? Emery wanted that, we were so, so bad.

It's not just about that game, we have been poor for a while. We ain't beating Man U after that, no way.

1 minute ago, SimonVilla said:

It’s all about that Moussa redemption arc now.

The goal you could see was just what he needed for his confidence. Looked lovely after.

Defence is very worrying. Even with Torres back we’re going to struggle against Utd. 
Kamara gave the ball away more in this game than he has all season.

Emery has a job on his hands for the next few games.

• Like 1

The lack of urgency, purpose and pace to anything we do is a.massive concern.

I get we will have bad days but all of that is something that has been missing for a while now and going into the business end of the season needs to be sorted quickly.

Also...why are we.such a charity club....yet again another team needing a win or someone to get their first goal...always seems to us giving in to whoever the team is or player needing something 

• Like 2

More bothered about the performance than the result, was hoping to see some consistency after the weekend.  

Concerning.

I can't even be bothered to get angry about the officiating anymore but 4 minutes is embarrassing.... not that I wanted to watch anymore.

Glad Diaby got a goal.

1 minute ago, AVTuco said:

Would be great if we could lure in a player like Gallagher one day. He'd make us better instantly.

Old shin splints might be available in the summer.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

We’re now playing our 4th and 5th choice centre backs. Any team would struggle but that won’t be mentioned by anyone. 

Maybe so but that’s still £70m worth of defenders and two of our top earners.

Before anyone accuses me of wearing rose-coloured glasses, let me say...Chelsea were the better team and deserved to win.

That said, I don't think that the match was as bad as the scoreline indicates. Gallagher's opener was a perfect finish with three defenders on him, and the free kick was also perfect (a few inches to the right and Emi makes a world-class save). You won't see two strikes of that quality in a match very often.

That said, the middle goal was atrocious defending from Diego. And they got two perfect strikes in part because we gave them so many chances. We do miss Konsa and Pau (and Mings).

Even if we had held them to one goal, the staleness in our attack may worry me even more. The first 10 minutes and last 10 minutes were OK, but the rest of the match, whenever we had the ball, we either gave it away with poor passes or couldn't find our way through. I think that our buildup has become too predictable.

So, in my view, it was like the 0-0 draw, a mediocre match between two currently mediocre teams, punctuated by two moments of magic for Chelsea, who were otherwise just slightly less mediocre than we were.

If I can take away one positive, maybe our goal will help Diaby get his confidence back.

4 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Luiz been gash for awhile now. I would've taken him off at 15 minutes.

Yeah he was terrible at the weekend only creating three goals.  The trouble isn't Luiz - it's Tielemans and McGinn having awful matches and giving the ball away every time they got it.  It meant that Chelsea could put two men onto Luiz as he was our only midfield threat.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TomC said:

Before anyone accuses me of wearing rose-coloured glasses, let me say...Chelsea were the better team and deserved to win.

That said, I don't think that the match was as bad as the scoreline indicates. Gallagher's opener was a perfect finish with three defenders on him, and the free kick was also perfect (a few inches to the right and Emi makes a world-class save). You won't see two strikes of that quality in a match very often.

That said, the middle goal was atrocious defending from Diego. And they got two perfect strikes in part because we gave them so many chances. We do miss Konsa and Pau (and Mings).

Even if we had held them to one goal, the staleness in our attack may worry me even more. The first 10 minutes and last 10 minutes were OK, but the rest of the match, whenever we had the ball, we either gave it away with poor passes or couldn't find our way through. I think that our buildup has become too predictable.

So, in my view, it was like the 0-0 draw, a mediocre match between two currently mediocre teams, punctuated by two moments of magic for Chelsea, who were otherwise just slightly less mediocre than we were.

If I can take away one positive, maybe our goal will help Diaby get his confidence back.

Mate, they were leading 3-0 and we were creating nothing. All they had to do was wait for the end.

3 minutes ago, Spoony said:

We were shit. But Christ alive the match thread. So, so embarassing. 

Maybe because we’ve had two home performances in a row that were literally no better than Gerrard’s last days at the club. In fact even under Slippy we battered a much better Chelsea team at home even though we lost. Tonight we were just shit until it got to 3-0 and only got a consolation because Chelsea eased off. Unai has got lots of credit in the bank, but he seems to keep getting it wrong for many weeks now. The home form was immaculate, we were unbeatable at home, now we look utterly clueless and the crowd can’t get behind the team. It’s simply not good enough.

• Like 1

Â